PDA

View Full Version : May/June 2012 View Camera Magazine

Robert Hall
27-Jul-2012, 13:05
Friends,

I just wanted to mention I am one of the artists featured in this edition of the View Camera Magazine.

Four images from my work from the Baron Woolen Mill are featured. If you have a chance to pick up a copy please do and let me know what you think.

I felt the reproductions of my images were done very well and I'm quite happy with them.

Thanks to Steve and the magazine.

Robert

DJG
27-Jul-2012, 13:43
Very nice, Robert.

Mark MacKenzie
27-Jul-2012, 15:57
Robert,
Congratulations! The first photo is fantastic. An amazing machine and very beautifully photographed. The tones are great. Are they platinum prints you send to the magazine or do you have the prints scanned? I wondered if the first photo is expanded development for your Plus-x? The light is wonderfully soft. I enjoyed them very much, thank you.

AuditorOne
27-Jul-2012, 16:20
Those are exceptional shots. You are right, I think they were very well reproduced in the magazine. Congratulations!

That first shot is truly amazing. I have photographed enough old mining mills that I know the lighting could not have been wonderful. Yet you were able to clearly capture that machine with all of its amazing detail. Great job.

Drew Bedo
27-Jul-2012, 17:33
Congratulations Robert!

This is a great group of images in a terrific display venue.

Eric Biggerstaff
27-Jul-2012, 18:10
Way to go Robert!

They are lovely and the first has a wonderful glow, also the third (#18 I think) is terrific.

Robert Hall
27-Jul-2012, 19:16
Robert,
Congratulations! The first photo is fantastic. An amazing machine and very beautifully photographed. The tones are great. Are they platinum prints you send to the magazine or do you have the prints scanned? I wondered if the first photo is expanded development for your Plus-x? The light is wonderfully soft. I enjoyed them very much, thank you.

Mark,

I exposed the image of the wheel using plus-x in 8x10. The exposure was around 8 minutes at f/64 using a wide lens.

I developed it with PMK and have printed this using both silver and platinum with great success.
I developed for my standard time of 12 minutes in a jobo at 74F. With the (probable) slight under exposure, it really popped.

I submitted scans of the negatives and was very careful with not adding too much contrast as they tend to gain contrast in reproduction, but honestly it was very slight. The reproduction is really quite good.

Thank you for your comment.

R

Robert Hall
27-Jul-2012, 19:17
Thank you all for your kind words. It's truly a set of images that took me several years and many trips back to the mill while it was still there to really capture what I have. I would love to have a few more years to continue the work but, alas, the mill is not what it once was.

Sincerely,

R

Jan Pedersen
27-Jul-2012, 19:23
Well done Robert. Having seen some of your platinum prints at close distance i can imagine that these four are truly beautiful.

Merg Ross
27-Jul-2012, 22:54
Really fine work, Robert. #24 is a gem. The diagonal line on the right of #18 holds the composition together beautifully with the black void above. Of course, being partial to close-ups, #3 is excellent.

I noticed the fourth generation bit; are you related to Robert Hall, a photographer I knew in the 1950's here in the Bay Area?

Congratulations,
Merg

Ed Bray
28-Jul-2012, 01:47
I'm still awaiting my copy, how long has it been out please?

welly
28-Jul-2012, 03:06
Thank you all for your kind words. It's truly a set of images that took me several years and many trips back to the mill while it was still there to really capture what I have. I would love to have a few more years to continue the work but, alas, the mill is not what it once was.

Sincerely,

R

I've just subscribed to the electronic version of the magazine (as I'm in Australia) on the back of your portfolio and the comments here, so looking forward to taking a look at your images. Just a note about your web site, with the danger of your images being robbed in mind, it would be wonderful if you could make the images larger as they do look pretty small on my 27" iMac and it makes it a little difficult to see the detail. But from what I can see, they look fantastic.

mikebarger
28-Jul-2012, 05:14
Excellent Robert!!!

Eric Rose
28-Jul-2012, 12:06
Way to go buddy!

Robert Hall
28-Jul-2012, 13:07
Well done Robert. Having seen some of your platinum prints at close distance i can imagine that these four are truly beautiful.

Thanks Jan, I think we should make another trek down to NM, what do you say?

Robert Hall
28-Jul-2012, 13:09
I've just subscribed to the electronic version of the magazine (as I'm in Australia) on the back of your portfolio and the comments here, so looking forward to taking a look at your images. Just a note about your web site, with the danger of your images being robbed in mind, it would be wonderful if you could make the images larger as they do look pretty small on my 27" iMac and it makes it a little difficult to see the detail. But from what I can see, they look fantastic.

Agreed, Welly, the web site needs some help.

Thank you,

R

Jan Pietrzak
28-Jul-2012, 16:29
Robert,

Nice work, it is always fun to see how a publication can make you work look.

Oh, I am already in New Mexico.

Jan Pietrzak

welly
28-Jul-2012, 18:22
Agreed, Welly, the web site needs some help.

Thank you,

R

Give me a shout if you need a hand with it. I'm a web developer by trade.

Robert Hall
28-Jul-2012, 18:26
Robert,

Nice work, it is always fun to see how a publication can make you work look.

Oh, I am already in New Mexico.

Jan Pietrzak

I was thinking the whole crew! ;)

Chauncey Walden
29-Jul-2012, 09:36
I was just down there, Robert. The clouds were beautiful but, unfortunately, I wasn't there to photograph. Did manage to hit the galleries in Santa Fe. The church at Trampas is in a sorry state right now.

Jan Pedersen
29-Jul-2012, 11:01
Thanks Jan, I think we should make another trek down to NM, what do you say?

Aboslutely! When, i don't know but NM is one of my favorite states to visit so sooner rather than later would be great.

eddie
30-Jul-2012, 05:38
bravo. i will go buy it today and have a look.

thanks for the heads up.

eddie

John Fink Jr.
30-Jul-2012, 08:23
Congratulations Robert. Yes, I agree, #24 is striking!!
Wonderful set!

rjphil
31-Jul-2012, 03:55
Beautiful work Robert !

Keith Pitman
31-Jul-2012, 05:08
Congratulations, Robert. The first photo is stunning.

Bill Suderman
31-Jul-2012, 14:49
I'm so glad you got the this mill before it was stripped of all that beautiful equipment. So often, this bit of history is lost forever...I love black on black work like you shared with us, you make your images sing. Thank you,
Bill