PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota

Kevin J. Kolosky
27-Jul-2012, 12:13
Is there anybody in Minnesota still shooting large format for fun. Minneapolis?

Jeff Dexheimer
30-Jul-2012, 14:37
I am in Duluth. There are a few of us up here. I think I know of about 5-6 LF shooters up here and 1 or 2 more down by Minneapolis.

Kevin J. Kolosky
31-Jul-2012, 14:32
we ought to have coffee sometime!

what are you shooting up there in Duluth? I suppose recently a lot of flooding damage!!!

Zaitz
31-Jul-2012, 16:53
I am in St Paul! Don't see many around with a large format camera but I am sure there are quite a few in the area that don't post here.

Jerry Flynn
31-Jul-2012, 17:38
I live in Minneapolis and shoot 4X5 when I shoot.

Kevin J. Kolosky
31-Jul-2012, 18:36
Jerry and Zaitz

What do you shoot in Minneapolis and St. Paul? Darkrooms?

Jody_S
31-Jul-2012, 19:06
Jerry and Zaitz

That's just mean. There are plenty of beautiful natural landscapes in Minnesota. The fact that I can't name a single one, notwithstanding.

Kevin J. Kolosky
1-Aug-2012, 08:02
Its mean to ask somebody what they are shooting and whether they have a darkroom?

Jerry Flynn
1-Aug-2012, 14:57
Since I think it is best to shoot what you know, mainly urban landscape. I have a darkroom in the basement. I'm in more of a playing music mode right now, though.

Robert Hall
1-Aug-2012, 15:20
I used to live in Hibbing, Alexandria, and Morris.

There are some places out around there I could spend a month photographing even as flat as it was.

Lovely state you have there, even in the winter. (-68F still air, -103 wind chill) :)

Jody_S
1-Aug-2012, 15:36
Its mean to ask somebody what they are shooting and whether they have a darkroom?

It was a joke. You seemed to be saying that the only thing of interest in Minnesota, to shoot, was... darkrooms.

Kevin J. Kolosky
1-Aug-2012, 18:14
I'll be sure to watch your posts carefully and comment on what they "seem" to be saying.

Zaitz
2-Aug-2012, 12:16
Jerry and Zaitz

Not much around here :D. I would like to head up to the North Shore more often but can't right now. I also enjoy road trips and heading out west. Not a huge fan of the St Paul area to be honest. I need to try and photograph around here more often. Some of the old breweries, the Cathedral, and just general city scenes.

No darkroom. Just develop c-41 and b&w (and Kallitypes) in a somewhat dark room at night right here next to my PC.

Pseudonomic16
11-Aug-2012, 15:30
I shoot 4x5 and 8x10 and live in Minneapolis. I go to the North Shore all the time and photograph the waterfalls up there whenever I get the chance!

vinny
11-Aug-2012, 18:10
Yah, but dat trucoat.........

K. Praslowicz
13-Aug-2012, 17:50
we ought to have coffee sometime!

what are you shooting up there in Duluth? I suppose recently a lot of flooding damage!!!

I don't this The Dex got into shooting that. I, on the other hand, sure as hell did (http://www.kpraslowicz.com/gallery/solstice-flood-duluth-mn-june-2012/).

Kevin J. Kolosky
31-Aug-2012, 13:49
Well, I know there are some other serious shooters out there. Just got back from the State Fair. A walk around the Arts building showed that there were some pretty accomlished Black and White shooters from Minnesota..

Joel Truckenbrod
4-Oct-2012, 18:12
I just caught this thread and figured I should probably add my name to the roll call. I currently shoot 5x7 B&W landscapes (occasionally using a 4x5 reducing back). At the moment, I'm about half way through a 5+ year B&W project on the heavily photographed north shore region; as I believe it's better to photograph it sooner than later given the ever increasing popularity of the area. I've posted these images within various forum threads before, but they offer a small introduction to the folly I regularly indulge in:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/truckyj/BaptismRiverSunsetLight-12.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/truckyj/CCFog1-12.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/truckyj/ToweringCumulousReflections-SNF-11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/truckyj/BlueBeadLilyLeaves-Ferns-CrosbyManitou-11.jpg

Robert Hall
4-Oct-2012, 18:29
Fabulous images Joel! Just fabulous!

Heroique
4-Oct-2012, 18:40
...The north shore region...

I bet it’s bursting w/ color right now – and free of mosquitoes!

Robert Hall
4-Oct-2012, 18:51
No mosquitoes? Uh, this is MN, we're talking about, right? ;)

Joel Truckenbrod
4-Oct-2012, 18:59
Thanks for the kind words Robert, glad you enjoyed the images.

As for the north shore, it's late fall at this point for the area (quite a few leaves were already down as of yesterday) and there were 30-40 mph gusts today. Fall is on its way out. 40% chance of snow tomorrow - that should theoretically take care of any remaining mosquitoes.

Two23
6-Oct-2012, 06:38
I live in Sioux Falls and regularly shoot in MN. I use a Chamonix 045n and also an 1880s vintage Watson & Son half plate camera. I mostly use vintage or historic lenses, 1847-1920s. I photo at night a lot. In the past I've mostly photo'd moving trains at night using Nikon DSLR and about 10,000ws of flash power. This year I'm going to start using my 4x5 & b&w some to do my flash/train shots on the BNSF Marshall sub. I've already started using my 1951 Rolleiflex for that and like the results. I also like abandoned farms, and machinery. I took a number of photos at Rollag with my 4x5.

Kent in SD

K. Praslowicz
6-Oct-2012, 08:10
I photo at night a lot. In the past I've mostly photo'd moving trains at night using Nikon DSLR and about 10,000ws of flash power. This year I'm going to start using my 4x5 & b&w some to do my flash/train shots on the BNSF Marshall sub.

Assuming you're already familiar with O. Winston Links work. If not, definitely look it up for inspiration.

mnpixman
7-Apr-2016, 17:07
Just signed up to the group. Starting to work with my new 4x5 Plaubel Peco. North side of the Twin Citis.

HMG
7-Apr-2016, 17:53
Welcome. We have a Pinhole presentation on April 12th at Mpls Photo Center if interested.

http://www.mplsphotocenter.com/darkrooms/community-darkroom.php

Jac@stafford.net
7-Apr-2016, 18:33
Welcome from the Tropics of MinneSnowta from a guy with a basement full of flash bulbs!
--
Jac

highkrausen
10-Nov-2016, 17:25
If anyone in MN is interested in a LF meetup, let me know. I'm in Savage but willing to drive for some exposures!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk