PDA

View Full Version : Yet another silly question about signing prints

Scott Walker
27-Jul-2012, 09:36
Should a portrait be signed? I don't do enough people pictures to know any better.

I did an environmental portrait and dry mounted, matted, and framed it.
I was just inspecting it for any fingerprints before wrapping it up and delivering it.
It dawned on me that I had signed and dated it just like I would have with any landscape photograph I would sell.
Me thinks that it should be signed just like any other artwork I produce whether it is a photograph, painting, drawing, sculpture or what ever........but I do have a weird feeling that signing someones portrait is not normal.

cyrus
27-Jul-2012, 09:42
Why not?

E. von Hoegh
27-Jul-2012, 09:44
Should a portrait be signed? I don't do enough people pictures to know any better.

I did an environmental portrait and dry mounted, matted, and framed it.
I was just inspecting it for any fingerprints before wrapping it up and delivering it.
It dawned on me that I had signed and dated it just like I would have with any landscape photograph I would sell.
Me thinks that it should be signed just like any other artwork I produce whether it is a photograph, painting, drawing, sculpture or what ever........but I do have a weird feeling that signing someones portrait is not normal.

Signing any and all finished and mounted prints is OK as far as I am concerned.

bob carnie
27-Jul-2012, 10:17
I think any prints should be signed as well.

You are probably not editioning the portrait, as you may the landscapes, but its still your work.

Jim Jones
27-Jul-2012, 12:25
ditto all of the above.

E. von Hoegh
27-Jul-2012, 12:44
In fact, it would be appropriate to sign them 'invenit et fecit Scott Walker'. That is, 'originated and made by'.

Brian Ellis
27-Jul-2012, 18:30
Other than the sitter's great grandchildren wondering why their ancestor was named Scott Walker, I don't see any problem. : - )

Scott Walker
27-Jul-2012, 21:03
Thanks for all the input. The print was delivered this afternoon to a very happy recipient, signature intact :)

mandoman7
29-Jul-2012, 14:46
The way some portrait photographers in my area sign prints seems to be more about their ego and hoping to convey value, rather than actually being an enhancement of the print's value. The general rule that was told to me was that commercial work, or commissioned work is signed on the back, while work that is signed on the front tending to be images of an artful nature that would be displayed before the general public, where turning it over may not be an option.