PDA

View Full Version : Problem with new Ebony

Paul Webster
16-Feb-2004, 17:35
Hi;

I have a problem with a new Ebony 4x5 I just bought; maybe somebody can offer a solution. When I set the camera up in the neutral position the bubble on the front standard doesn’t read level. I have rested a separate level and it shows the front standard as level but the one mounted on the front standard reads about half a bubble off plumb.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

I have emailed ebony but haven’t gotten a reply yet.

RichardRitter
16-Feb-2004, 18:21
The important levels are the levels on the rear standard. As to the front standard level you have two choices. One remove the level and use the marks on the camera to set the camera to the starting position. You know they are right. The second option is to remount the level in the correct position.

Steve Hamley
16-Feb-2004, 18:30
Paul,

Just a suggestion, but rather than using the level on the wood part of the standard (I assume this is what you're doing) to check against the mounted bubble level, check against the lensboard. What you really want is a vertical lensboard. Also, the bubble levels are very sensitive. Half a bubble is insignificant for a field camera, and may reflect the play in the ball-and-indent used to position the standard to neutral.

Thanks!

Steve

Gem Singer
16-Feb-2004, 20:35
Hi Paul,

I am assuming that you have one of the folding model Ebonys. If so, loosen the right and left front base tilt knobs. move the front standard forward or backward until the bubble in the front standard spirit level is centered, then tighten both knobs to lock the front standard in the exact vertical position. There is a slight amount of play in the notches that are cut into the front base tilt braces. The notches are there to help locate the detent position. They do not need to be extremely precise.

However, the spirit level on top of the front standard is aligned in a very precise way. So is the recess that is cut into the front standard where the lensboard fits. You can trust their accuracy. I find the front spirit level to be a very useful accessory.

If you do not have one of the folding model Ebonys, I cannot help you.

George Hart
17-Feb-2004, 00:57
Paul, I have a non-folding Ebony (45S) and I think that I know what you mean. When I level the camera using the 2 spirit levels on the rear standard (with the flip-up mirror!), sometimes the single level on the front standard reads a bit off. However, I generally find that once I "open" the camera, ie move the standards apart, it's fine, and I think that the explanation is that bringing the bellows together can move the top of the front standard forward by a tiny amount. However, if I rest another level (Linhof hot-shoe type) on the top of the front standard it always corresponds to the fixed, built-in level on that standard. If that is not the case with yours then some adjustment may be needed, but I'd be surprised that Ebony would get that wrong.

Frank Petronio
17-Feb-2004, 06:09
If I paid $2000+ plus for an uber camera I'd be P-Od. Should have got a Linhof!

Paul Webster
17-Feb-2004, 07:59
The camera is a SV45U2;

Here is some additional information: I spent several hours last night trying to see where the problem is located. If I put the front and back base arms in their relative detents the rear standard is tilted forward about ½ a bubble and the front standard is tilted backwards a ½ a bubble. If this is not normal the problem possibly was created before I owned it.

When I unpacked the camera the rear shift /swing locking lever was buried all the way to the right, so far so that I had to dig it out with my little finger. The instructions say that when the camera is folded that this locking lever is to be unlocked. I know when I got the lever unlocked the whole camera visibly relaxed, so it must have been under considerable tension. Perhaps this tweaked something.

It is not that big a deal to fiddle with it a bit and get the bubbles level as Eugene suggests. I guess I was just expecting more precision, but that was probably naive of me. I am not going to sweat it, I just thought if this wasn’t normal for this camera there might be a fix for it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it.

Gem Singer
17-Feb-2004, 10:12
Hi again, Paul,

You have the top-of-the-line Ebony folding 4X5 camera. Enjoy it in the best of health. From what you have described, your camera is not defective. The spirit levels on the Ebony cameras are extremely sensitive. A tiny bit of movement is all it takes to move the bubbles inside of them.

The detent notches on the rear base tilt braces seem to be more precise than those on the front base tilt braces. First, set the braces for the rear standard base tilt into their detent notches and tighten the locking knobs. Level the camera forward and backward, and side to side, with the tripod head, using the rear mirrored 2-way spirit level. Then, use the method I described to bring the front standard into the exact vertical setting to match the back.

You can easily access the locking lever for the rear swing/shift by racking the front standard backward and reaching up from underneath. Don't be afraid to tighten this lever very firmly. That's the way it works. It should be loosened (moved to the left) after the camera is folded in order to move it out of the way so it doesn't stick out to the rear.

My Ebony SV45TE is a lot more precision built than any of the five other 4X5 wooden folding field cameras I have owned during the last twenty-five years. It certainly has more movement capability, is extremely user friendly, and is more attractive to look at than the two Toyo A metal folding field cameras I have owned. I still have theToyo 45AII. It sits in the closet, because I prefer to use the Ebony.

Donald Hutton
17-Feb-2004, 10:53
Paul

Check too that the assymetrical tilt on the rear standard is zeroed (you will feel the zero position) - then level the camera on the bubble level on the rear standard, then check the front standard. I still occassionally forget to re-zero the tilt... If you have a camera problem, I would definitely return it. I have had excellent service from Ebony and have found the local (American) representative to be extremely helpful.

Paul Webster
17-Feb-2004, 11:02
Problem solved.

First let me thank all of you who responded with advice I appreciate that you would take the time to help someone that you don’t know and will probably never meet.

The culprit has been humidity.

After the camera sat all night unfolded on the tripod, with the windows closed and the air-conditioner running everything is now perfectly level. I live on the beach in south Florida and it has been in the 80’s and humid, normally I keep the windows open and the air off. I had been keeping it in a sealed pelican case since it was shipped to me from Midwest Photo in Ohio. After the wood had a chance to adjust to the change in humidity it has gone back to zero. I should have figured this out myself but I am a novice.

Ian Wilson / Sales Manager for Ebony suggested that it might just be a humidity problem and that adjusting 4 screws front and back would fix it right up. He was very helpful and obviously willing to find a solution to the problem for me. He seems like a really decent sort.

I have opened and closed the camera several time now and it unfolds right to zero front and back. Now I have an excuse to play hooky tomorrow and go make some pictures.

Ed Candland
17-Feb-2004, 12:03
Eugene,

Your using a *GASP* Ebony after all the posts I've read since I've started coming here about your Toyo and how much you like it and recomend it? I'm in shock! Poor little rejected Toyo dumped for a pretty face, no one to take her out anymore. Just kiding.... Have fun with your new woody.

Ed

Frank Petronio
17-Feb-2004, 12:45
sounds like a trophy wife to me

Gem Singer
17-Feb-2004, 13:11
Thanks Ed,

I've always had a "thing" for wooden folding field cameras. The two wooden Wisner Tech Fields I formerly owned, before I purchased the metal Toyo 45AII, came close, but not close enough, to meeting my ideal.

So far, I really like the Ebony SV45TE. I also purchased the wide angle bellows for it. The camera has the capability of using all eleven of my Fuji lenses from the 75SWD to the 450C (using the 34mm front extension lensboard).

Actually, I turned the Toyo 45AII over to my wife, hoping she would begin using it. She likes her new digital camera better. We are thinking about selling the Toyo outfit.