PDA

View Full Version : Focussing Hood for 4x5 reducing back on a B&J 5x7 Folding View Camera

henseman
25-Jul-2012, 17:28
Hello fellow enthusiasts,

Can anyone suggest where I can buy a focussing hood for a Burke and James 5x7 Folding View Camera with 4x5 reducing back. I'm also looking for a full 5x7 back for the same camera, but it's not a priority as I'm on a disability.

Brian

Jim Jones
26-Jul-2012, 05:23
I fabricated a 4x5 back from a Graflok back for my 5x7 B&J. It has the advantage of a removable focussing hood, unlike the permenantly mounted hood of a B&J back. Sometimes a focussing hood gets in the way.

henseman
26-Jul-2012, 16:15
Hi Jim,

I only got the 5x7 with the 4x5 reducing back when I bought the camera. I'd like to get the full 5x7 back for it, just to have it. It's more expensive to do 5x7 photography so I'll have to stick with 4x5 and roll film, as I'd be limited by my 4x5 enlarger.
Also, the focussing hood would help me to concentrate my view, even though I'll have to use a black focussing cloth to keep out all the light.

Are you shooting 4x5, or do you also do 5x7?

Jim Jones
26-Jul-2012, 18:33
After losing the 5x7 Elwood enlarger in a darkroom fire, I haven't used 5x7 film. I keep the 5x7 back just in case . . .

henseman
5-Feb-2013, 20:06
Hi Jim,

What would I have to do to put a graflok back on the B&J 5x7 that is equipped with the 4x5 reducing back? Someone suggested I take off the 4x5 and just drill holes for the graflok and screw it on. However, as I look at the 4x5(where it actually sits), it seems to be seated approximately 1/4 to 3/8" higher than the 5x7 back. If I take the 4x5 back off, will I have to add a filler on to get the back at the right film plane?

Brian

Jim Jones
5-Feb-2013, 20:58
It won't hurt if the Graflok back sits higher than the original back. The Graflok back positions both the ground glass and the film in the same plane, so ground glass focusing will still be accurate. I fabricated a new plate from plywood, milled the rabbet on a table saw, and drilled holes for the mounting pins. Rather than milling the rabbet, one could add a light-tight baffle by adding a felt, mat board, or plywood baffle. By making a new plate, the original reducing back is still intact and might someday be used or sold.

henseman
6-Feb-2013, 01:54
Hey Jim,

Do you have any pictures of it to share?

Jim Jones
6-Feb-2013, 08:37
Henseman, I'd have to do some major housecleaning to get to it now. I might try in a few days.

Jody_S
6-Feb-2013, 08:54
I can tell you that I have the original B&J focusing hood on my 4x5, and it is completely useless. Worse than useless, it impedes focusing with a magnifier because your head hits the protector panel in the raised position, while trying to focus under a dark cloth. The dark cloth necessary because, of course, the B&J hood is useless.

henseman
6-Feb-2013, 11:28
The only reason I was interested in the hood was for protecting the ground glass. I'm going to put on a graflok back in place of the spring back and the hood I use for that would be removable. I basically gave up on getting one for the spring back 4x5.

I can tell you that I have the original B&J focusing hood on my 4x5, and it is completely useless. Worse than useless, it impedes focusing with a magnifier because your head hits the protector panel in the raised position, while trying to focus under a dark cloth. The dark cloth necessary because, of course, the B&J hood is useless.

henseman
6-Feb-2013, 11:30
Thanks Jim....I got the graflok back a few months ago, so I'm not in any real hurry....like to get it on by spring/summer.