PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here removed the camera stage from the column of a Beseler 45 V-XL?

frotog
24-Jul-2012, 06:07
I'm attempting to ship this enlarger. This would be much easier to box if I could remove the camera stage from the column. However, doing so would entail detaching the two coiled brass tape springs from the top of the column. It looks easy enough - they attach to the column with two phillips head screws - but I'm concerned that as soon as I remove the springs they'll uncoil. Any recommendations?

Peter Mounier
24-Jul-2012, 07:51
It's been many years since I took mine apart, but you're right the springs will uncoil. It's not much effort to recoil them though by twisting the bars they are contained in. Check out page 7 of the Beseler manual on this website...
http://www.scribd.com/doc/33752253/Beseler-45MXII-Enlarger
... specifically part D at the bottom "Counterbalance Spring Adjustment".

Peter

frotog
24-Jul-2012, 10:07
Glad to hear it's not too hard to recoil once you get it off. I'm assuming then that the spring tension is not too great for some 300 lb. test fiber tape to safely contain.

Upon closer examination it appears as though the v-xl has a rather complex system of rollers, possibly spring-loaded, to assist in moving the camera attachment up and down the column. Once off the rails of the column will all this stuff just fall out or is it retained by the machine screws that thread into the side panels of the camera platform? Oh, and how easy is it to get the camera back on the column?

Thanks for your help.

BTW...The link you sent was to a 45 MXII. Aren't the MX's motor driven?

Leigh
24-Jul-2012, 11:29
I would strongly recommend that you not dis-assemble the carrier.

Move it to the top of the column, then remove the enlarger head and pack it separately.

Leave the remaining components as they are and ship as an assembly.

Even if you succeed in taking it apart, there's no guarantee that the recipient could re-assemble it properly and safely.

Heavy springs are VERY DANGEROUS.

- Leigh

Peter Mounier
24-Jul-2012, 13:08
Frotog
I have to apologize for giving you bad information based on my misreading your post. I was speaking of the 45M series enlargers, as you pointed out.
Sorry if I misled you.

Peter