PDA

View Full Version : Camera Equipment Co. Tripods - anyone use?

goamules
23-Jul-2012, 10:57
I've been looking for a better tripod for 5x7 and 8x10 field cameras. I just got one of these, made by Camera Equipment Co. of NYC from about 1941 until the 1970s when they were called F&B Ceco I believe. They were made for Cine movie cameras, but they sure look robust. Has anyone used one? Here are a couple pics of some Canadian soldiers who used it to film D-Day, and a military version (missing the top plate). Mine has a rectangular top plate that looks about 6x2 inches. I may have to widen that somehow. Anyone using one of these Professional Junior tripods? I wanted something robust like a Ries, without the cost.

E. von Hoegh
23-Jul-2012, 11:56
I've been using one for 8x10 since the late 80s. Great tripods.

goamules
23-Jul-2012, 13:27
Thanks, it's good to know it will work.

TheDeardorffGuy
23-Jul-2012, 13:41
I modified the Head of one to hold a Deardorff 12x20. It holds.

goamules
23-Jul-2012, 14:47
Great, that's good to know. Then my 8x10 2D should be no problem. Hey, maybe I'll build a larger platform so I can put a Century Studio on it! It looks (I was just looking at the 1941 patent drawings) like the top plate is just held by two machine screws. So I could cut a larger plate of aluminum, say 10x15 inch, and have that for the big cameras. We'll see when it comes how realistic that would be.

Alan Gales
23-Jul-2012, 14:55
I love the World War 2 photograph. It combines two of my favorite things, Jeeps and cameras! :cool:

big_ben_blue
23-Jul-2012, 19:11
I got one like this. Replaced the narrow top with a square one and cut a few large holes on it to reduce weight (looks now a lot like the swiss-cheese metal Canham's).

joselsgil
23-Jul-2012, 21:04
I have a Miller tripod, made in Australia. It is very similar to your tripod. I finally found a way to mount a Gitzo head onto the tripod's bowl. I plan on using it for my 8X10 2D and other smaller format cameras.

Jose

E. von Hoegh
24-Jul-2012, 06:36
I modified the Head of one to hold a Deardorff 12x20. It holds.

It should. I balanced myself on the 4"x6" platform of mine; I'm not exactly a small person at 6'1 1/2"

goamules
31-Jul-2012, 07:58
I got the Camera Equipment Co. Tripod and I'm quite satisfied. That's an 8x10 2D shown on it. It has very robust, smooth movements and locks down tight. I'd say it weights about 20 lbs, so it's not a backpacking tripod, but I needed something strong for, well...everything but backpacking. I usually just park at a good spot and walk a few yards too shoot anyway, for wetplate especially you don't go far from your truck and darkbox.

The design was patented in a golden age of American inventions, Aug 1941. Patent drawings: http://www.google.com.hk/patents/US2318910 I'm going to fabricate a larger mount plate from aluminum and it's a done deal. I love the way you turn the small knob in the back, and the geared 90 degree mechanism turns the mounting screw for you. Quality all the way, I recommend you try one. They were later made by F&B Ceco, as well as the WWII ones, so they seem pretty common. I paid less than $175.

78020 78021 78022

E. von Hoegh
31-Jul-2012, 08:03
I got the Camera Equipment Co. Tripod and I'm quite satisfied. That's an 8x10 2D shown on it. It has very robust, smooth movements and locks down tight. I'd say it weights about 20 lbs, so it's not a backpacking tripod, but I needed something strong for, well...everything but backpacking. I usually just park at a good spot and walk a few yards too shoot anyway, for wetplate especially you don't go far from your truck and darkbox.

The design was patented in a golden age of American inventions, Aug 1941. Patent drawings: http://www.google.com.hk/patents/US2318910 I'm going to fabricate a larger mount plate from aluminum and it's a done deal. I love the way you turn the small knob in the back, and the geared 90 degree mechanism turns the mounting screw for you. Quality all the way, I recommend you try one. They were later made by F&B Ceco, as well as the WWII ones, so they seem pretty common. I paid less than $175.

78020 78021 78022

There's a lightweight head for them, a clamshell affair that will come close to cutting the weight in half. Mine has the same head as yours, I hike with it and a Deardorff V8. Weight of mine is 15.87 pounds.

Peter Gomena
31-Jul-2012, 08:10
A good friend of mine has a shorter, lighter model he uses for his Crown Graphic. It's a gem. I especially like the leg extension tightening knobs - they're quick and simple.

Peter Gomena

E. von Hoegh
31-Jul-2012, 08:14
A good friend of mine has a shorter, lighter model he uses for his Crown Graphic. It's a gem. I especially like the leg extension tightening knobs - they're quick and simple.

Peter Gomena

Yes, they're a superb tripod and don't seem very well known. I've seen only one other since I got mine about 1989.

DrTang
31-Jul-2012, 09:25
Yes, they're a superb tripod and don't seem very well known. I've seen only one other since I got mine about 1989.

They look a lot like older Miller Sticks... wasn't F&B Ceco a rental house in LA for the movie industry? they probably just rebranded them

E. von Hoegh
31-Jul-2012, 09:33
They look a lot like older Miller Sticks... wasn't F&B Ceco a rental house in LA for the movie industry? they probably just rebranded them

F&B may have been a rental house , Camera Equipment Co. in New York City made the tripods and pan heads.

goamules
31-Jul-2012, 10:06
My research shows F&B Ceco was at the same address later, then the head guy went west and continued either making them with rights, or had a bunch of spares because he sold them into the 1980s or later. Here are some links: http://www.theworldofcomputron.com/Work_Hist_Pg_007.htm

Owner and President Carl Porcello, ASC Associate Member and Director of Photography Local 600, has a 50 year history in the motion picture industry. In 1968 He formed F&B Ceco in California. At the time, the largest rental facility in the US. In 1975 Mr. Porcello left F&B Ceco to form CinePro. Carl sold CinePro to what is now known as PanaVision Hollywood in 1980. Then after his departure 3 years later, in 1983, he announced the formation of UltraVision, Inc.
http://www.ultravisioninc.com/about.htm

F&B CECO used to be a camera rental facility here in New York. The camera rental part closed down more than a decade ago but CECO Studios and lighting & grip rental is still around. (F&B were the brothers' first initials and CECO is Camera Equipment COmpany).
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?42444-Anybody-know-these-lenses-F-amp-B-Ceco

There have been several for sale the past month, with various keywords. Here is a military model with a high buy it now: 170882371224