PDA

View Full Version : Graduated Filters...

Pfiltz
23-Jul-2012, 05:45
I'm going to the Pacific NW in September, and attempting landscapes.

I bought a Graflex Graphic View 4x5 large-format camera outfit w/ 152mm Kodak Ektar lens.

http://www.electricedge.com/greymatter/images6/graphic-view.jpg

Can I just place the filter up against the lens, and get decent results, or are there adapters I can use?

If I were shooting with my Digi, I could figure this out, but I'm new to 4x5.

vinny
23-Jul-2012, 06:13
yes.
I should add, that accurate filter placement by "just holding it" will be impossible. With the current costs of film/developing and my time, that's not worth it. I use a lee hood with two filter slots since I can't hold something still without bumping the lens/fighting off bugs for several minute exposures.

Greg Miller
23-Jul-2012, 07:56
Can I just place the filter up against the lens...?.

That's what I do.

mandoman7
23-Jul-2012, 09:38
You can tape it to the inside element too, if you're looking for easy solutions.

cyrus
23-Jul-2012, 09:47
As long as you can hold it in place whilst composing/shooting then it should be fine. I use grad orange filters to make skies more dramatic and need to hold the filters in place, in order to match the orange to the skyline as much as possible. Just make sure there's no vignetting.

dsphotog
23-Jul-2012, 10:02
Depends on the desired effect, If you are using gradated filters, one technique is to keep the filter moving slightly during a long exposure to blend the edge of the grad.
If the composition needs a hard edge, then a holder simplifies camera opperation.

If I'm using regular filters I freqently just hold them in front.

biedron
23-Jul-2012, 10:09
The most adaptable solution is probably the Lee holder https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1168 with an adapter ring to fit your particular lens https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1165

Bob

dsphotog
23-Jul-2012, 11:58
If the question is just how to mount a filter, some older American lenses are not threaded, or not "modern/metric" sizes, some are designed to accept slip-on "series filter holders".
Cokin also makes a universal holder with setscews to fit.

Lachlan 717
23-Jul-2012, 14:10
I used to use a couple of BluTac to hold the filter in place.

Got the holders now.

Heroique
23-Jul-2012, 14:43
…One technique is to keep the filter moving slightly during a long exposure to blend the edge of the grad.

This is when nervous, aging, shaky hands are an advantage!

Heroique
23-Jul-2012, 14:45
I’m going to the Pacific NW in September, and attempting landscapes.

Don’t forget your umbrella filter!

Can I just place the filter up against the lens, and get decent results, or are there adapters I can use?

Sometimes my Lee system (ring + holder + GND filter + hood) gets in the way of movements w/ my widest lens (XL 110mm), so I’ll forfeit the system & hold the filter, securing the movements I need.

But this type of “no-choice” situation happens only rarely.

When there’s a choice, give me free hands any day – no matter what type of filter, or how short the exposure.

Have a fun trip & please post your shots when you return!

TheDeardorffGuy
23-Jul-2012, 17:23
why is the topic "graduated filters"? Mount the filter with a proper adapter ok?.

Pfiltz
23-Jul-2012, 18:52
appreciate all in the info. A friend of mine today, loaned me a whole array of Cokin filters, including 3 graduated ND filters ;)

Brian Ellis
23-Jul-2012, 19:07
yes.
I should add, that accurate filter placement by "just holding it" will be impossible. With the current costs of film/developing and my time, that's not worth it. I use a lee hood with two filter slots since I can't hold something still without bumping the lens/fighting off bugs for several minute exposures.

I have to respectfully disagree. I quit using my Lee system adapters years ago and just hold the filter in front of the lens by hand. It works fine and saves the hassle of dealing with adapters.

Ivan J. Eberle
24-Jul-2012, 11:41
If you're using a grad to keep the exposure within bounds of color transparency film, you might simply choose color neg film for those scenes that are challenges. Traditional advice of 20 years ago was geared toward submitting work to print publications as transparencies and only transparencies; nowadays most working in color are scanning and it's not an issue.. Neg films hold 12 or more stops to transparency's 6 to 8. You greatly handicap yourself if you don't take advantage of this.

vinny
24-Jul-2012, 12:27
If you're using a grad to keep the exposure within bounds of color transparency film, you might simply choose color neg film for those scenes that are challenges. Traditional advice of 20 years ago was geared toward submitting work to print publications as transparencies and only transparencies; nowadays most working in color are scanning and it's not an issue.. Neg films hold 12 or more stops to transparency's 6 to 8. You greatly handicap yourself if you don't take advantage of this.

Naw, to hell with that. While I have a fair amount of color neg in the freezer, I prefer chromes. Grad's are useful when shooting color neg too, they're just a tool.

Brian, I find myself shooting horizon's (lake michigan) with hard edge grads where placement is critical and done at shooting aperture. I couldn't do it any other way.

Mark Stahlke
24-Jul-2012, 13:33
I have to agree with vinny. I shoot chromes and always use a holder to position grads precisely. One of these days I'll try color negatives.

IanG
24-Jul-2012, 14:43
Get the right holders it makes life simpler, they've been available for over a 100 yeras now :D Serious I couldn't believe seeing adverts for graduated filters published in 1909 !!!

Ian