PDA

View Full Version : Question about wide angle lenses on a ShenHao 4x5

rince
22-Jul-2012, 23:27
Hi,

Does anyone know how wide I can go with the standard bellows with my HZX-IIA 45? I am looking for a lens for cityscapes and would want to go 100mm or wider.

Thanks for your help
Dennis

UlbabraB
22-Jul-2012, 23:50
I used comfortably a 90mm Caltar F/8 on a deep recessed board on my HZX-IIA 45 for citiyscapes, however for wider lenses the bag bellows might be a better choice

stejo
23-Jul-2012, 02:28
And I bought the bagbellow and use a Fujinon 75mm. in fact the bellow is mounted all the time cause I work mostly with
75 and 150 mm.

// Stefan

rince
23-Jul-2012, 04:43
Thank you all very much! I just purchased a very reasonably priced 100mm and will see how far I get with it. Seems like there is at least a chance it will work out. But yes, I agree in the long run I will have to get the wide angle bellows.

Petr Hartvich
23-Jul-2012, 06:37
Hi,

Does anyone know how wide I can go with the standard bellows with my HZX-IIA 45? I am looking for a lens for cityscapes and would want to go 100mm or wider.

Thanks for your help
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I used HZX-IIA 45 with Rodenstock Grandagon N 4.5/65 mm with recessed lensboard without any problem. I also tried to use this lens with flat lensboard (with standard bellows): it is possible, but unconfortable, bellows is too tight for movements (or make it impossible). Work with 90 mm lens (Nikkor 8/90 mm) with flat lensboard is nice.
Generally I found HZX-IIA 45 to be great camera for wide angle lens work even with gradual ND filters.

Cheers,

Petr

rince
23-Jul-2012, 06:49
Hi Dennis,

Generally I found HZX-IIA 45 to be great camera for wide angle lens work even with gradual ND filters.

Cheers,

Petr

Seems you read my mind and answered my follow up question as well ;)
Thanks Petr ! I guess I will get the wide angle bellows before going into really wide lenses.

Joseph Dickerson
23-Jul-2012, 08:19
A 65mm lens, or shorter, on a flat board will be inside the body essentially blocking any movement except, of course, focus. The bag bellows and recessed boards will make life easier if you use anything shorter than a 90mm.

However, the bellows takes less than a minute to change. I modified a Chamonix universal bellows to fit my Shen Hao to great affect. Even with a 65mm I didn't need to swap the bellows. I think that Shen Hao may offer their own version of the universal bellows by now.

JD