PDA

View Full Version : Is Tele Xenar 360/5.5 made in 1974 multi coated?

Yan Chen
15-Feb-2004, 08:53
Hi everyone,

I am wondering the Tele Xenar 360/5.5 made in 1974 was multi coated, or was coated at all. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Yan Chen

Bill_1856
15-Feb-2004, 10:09
Single Coated, as were all Schneider lenses after WW2. Any Multicoated Schneider lens is clearly marked"MC."

Michael S. Briggs
15-Feb-2004, 11:30
The answer is not multi-coated, but yes for single-coated. Schneider, like most lens manufacturers, began single-coating all of their lenses soon after WWII. Early single-coated lenses used a red-triangle symbol. Later single-coating became ubiquitous and the symbol was dropped.

For the official answer on multi-coating, see the Schneider LF Lens FAQ at http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/faq/large_format_lenses/.
Schneider began multi-coating lenses in 1977, starting with 150 mm Symmar-S lenses. The FAQ says that Schneider lenses are multi-coated if and only if has "multi-coating" written on it. Recent Schneider lenses sometimes have "MC" instead. I wouldn't be surprised to see "MCR" for Schneider's new multi-coating.

Yan Chen
15-Feb-2004, 21:26
Thanks, Bill and Michael. From your experience, what are the differences between single-coated and multi-coated Schneider lenses? I have one single coated lens (90 SA) and two multicoated (AS 135, 210), and it seems (very subjectively) that the single coated lens gives more saturation, while multicoated ones have more color fidelity and are more contrasty, but I've been only using LF for one year...I have not had a chance to compare flare control. Presumably the MC ones should perform better in this regard.

You may have different opinions. Comment welcome.

Yan

Bill_1856
16-Feb-2004, 08:05
The most significant difference between single and multicoated lenses is that with few exceptions, the MC lenses are more recent designs, with all it implies. The MC is just the icing on the glass (that's a joke, son).

Ernest Purdum
16-Feb-2004, 08:20
A multicoated lens has the same advantages over a single-coated lens as the single-coated has over a lens which is not coated at all, but the amount of improvement is not as great. Contrast and flare control will be improved. It is hard, though, to compare the results when the lenses concerned are not all of the same design. I think your subjective observations probably have more to do with design than coating methods.