PDA

View Full Version : Irving Penn biography

jonreid
21-Jul-2012, 06:07
Can anyone recommend a good biography of Irving Penn?

Jon

jonreid
31-Jul-2012, 03:26
Bump. Nothing?

Bill_1856
31-Jul-2012, 05:53
Visually, "PASSAGES" is the book to have. I don't know of a written bio. Extraordinary photog, he was!

Brian Ellis
31-Jul-2012, 06:09
No biographies exist that I know of but he did write his autobiography titled "Irving Penn: A Career in Photography."

Frank Petronio
31-Jul-2012, 06:15
It would be a great book, Penn was awesome and from what I can tell, he led a full and interesting life, was a good father, good man to work for, etc.

An art director I worked with called him up and asked him to do a quick little $500 shoot for her once and he accepted since it was last minute/spur of the moment so she got to work with him for an hour or two and was thrilled. I'm not one for idol worship but it had to be worth it.

Mark Sampson
31-Jul-2012, 08:08
You'll find some interesting reading (along with the fine photographs) in his book 'Small Trades'.

mandoman7
31-Jul-2012, 08:15
I have Passages and it really is one of my favorites to go back and review periodically. He could be exotic and fashionable I guess, but for me the stuff that really works are the commonplace subject matter that gets interesting when given his treatment, like the cigarette butts or the frozen dinners. I especially like the portraits of tradespeople and tribesman. Unassuming classic portraits that bear his stamp nonetheless.

jonreid
5-Aug-2012, 03:43
Thanks everyone. Brian, is the autobiography any good?

Jon

Brian Ellis
5-Aug-2012, 05:36
Thanks everyone. Brian, is the autobiography any good?

Jon

Hi Jon - Sorry but I don't know, I haven't read it, I just know of its existence. You could search it on Amazon and see if there are any reader reviews or Google and perhaps find some more professional reviews.