PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Velvia 50 and 100F 4x5 film officially discontinued?

C4D
19-Jul-2012, 09:07
Came across this article this morning stating Velvia 50 and 100F 4x5 and 8x10 sheet film is officially discontinued by Fuji but I can't find any other sources. Anyone know if this has any truth to it?

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2193030/fujifilm-discontinues-two-professional-films

timparkin
19-Jul-2012, 10:46
Came across this article this morning stating Velvia 50 and 100F 4x5 and 8x10 sheet film is officially discontinued by Fuji but I can't find any other sources. Anyone know if this has any truth to it?

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2193030/fujifilm-discontinues-two-professional-films

Various UK shops have been emailed by Fuji last week to tell them about this. However, not US shops seem to have received an email. This sounds like the last press release from Fujifilm UK saying 'Astia discontinued worldwide' when it was just Fujifilm UK stopping importing it.

The only worry is they talk about 'stopping manufacture' but that could be because there is regional manufacturing?

Tim

vinny
19-Jul-2012, 12:03
I've got enough rvp to last me at least 15 yrs but this is still a bummer. Fuck.

EOTS
19-Jul-2012, 15:02
I've got enough rvp to last me at least 15 yrs but this is still a bummer. Fuck.

hey vinnie, can you enlighten me newbie about slide film durability, please?
how long does the film hold in the fridge? does the freeze improve anything?

vinny
19-Jul-2012, 15:23
hey vinnie, can you enlighten me newbie about slide film durability, please?
how long does the film hold in the fridge? does the freeze improve anything?

I'm currently going stock of rvp and rdp3 that expired in 1993. I can't (and my drum scans) can't see any degration compared to fresh sheets. Yes, I keep it frozen. Plenty of info on the web regarding that.

SamReeves
19-Jul-2012, 16:25
This is gonna suck. I still have 3/4 of an E-6 kit left to use.

David Luttmann
19-Jul-2012, 20:29
Various UK shops have been emailed by Fuji last week to tell them about this. However, not US shops seem to have received an email. This sounds like the last press release from Fujifilm UK saying 'Astia discontinued worldwide' when it was just Fujifilm UK stopping importing it.

The only worry is they talk about 'stopping manufacture' but that could be because there is regional manufacturing?

Tim

Fuji still makes Astia?

vinny
20-Jul-2012, 05:22
Fuji still makes Astia?

maybe they do, maybe they don't. freestyle still has it. As with any film you like at this point I'd advise anyone to buy all you can afford. We're near the end of an era.

Drew Wiley
20-Jul-2012, 08:18
Like all such rumors, one needs to differentiate between a distribution change somewhere
and what or what might not become phased out from actual manufacture. Even if all this
proves true, Velvia 100 would still be production on polyester sheet base, and Provia 100
(unfortunately, still on triacetate). So not exactly the end of the world. Astia has officially
gone out of production, but some inventory remains. I'm pretty suspicious of chrome film
frozen afte a decade - highlight crossover, fog, etc become a risk. And once you thaw old
film, it seems to age much faster than fresh film. But that hasn't stopped me from buying
some outdated film at good pricing and using it in a timely fashion.

EOTS
20-Jul-2012, 09:46
Drew, that's sadistic, nurturing my hope and prayers for the 50 ;-)
Hope you're right anyways *gg*

Let's say the film you've frozen is 10 years old ... how long do you think it will survive after thawing?

Thanks,
Martin

Boinzo
20-Jul-2012, 14:55
Hi guys. I have started a petition to see if we can get Fuji to reconsider. Please take a moment to sign it. Velvia 50 is such an awesome film it would be a real shame to see it go. If we can get plenty of support we can pass it on Fuji head office.

Sign here:

http://www.change.org/petitions/fujifilm-continue-manufacture-of-velvia-50-sheet-film

Make sure you share it with your friends and colleagues!

vinny
21-Jul-2012, 16:52
Boinzo,
Fuji has never been clear on their announcements or product changes. They also don't seem to care all that much. If we aren't buying it, it's not worth their time to make it. Plain and simple. Good luck with that petition.

Boinzo
21-Jul-2012, 17:08
Boinzo,
Fuji has never been clear on their announcements or product changes. They also don't seem to care all that much. If we aren't buying it, it's not worth their time to make it. Plain and simple. Good luck with that petition.

Hi Vinny. I understand your point. I am fully across how capitalism works. Infact, I am an enthusiastic supporter! :D

But I refuse to just shrug and give up on something that is really important to the creative community of which I am part. It may be as you imply - that my efforts makes no difference in the end. Neither of us know the answer to that yet. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't try. The fact that the announcement is not clear is actually an opportiunity to change it.

We have over 170 signatures from all over thw world in just a bit over 24 hours. That's pretty good going. But of course we need more and I encourage everyone to share the petition far and wide - facebook - twitter - whatever.

I do hope that by doing a petition and getting behind it and sharing it widely we do more than send a message to Fuji Film as a list of signatures. We also substantially raise awareness of their decision among a wider group of people. By making as many people as possible aware of the decision we can maybe have some impact on buying decisions. Hopefully by telling people they may lose this film we actually encourage them to go an buy some. Perhaps that will help. I know I just bought plenty. It's my new investment plan. ;-)

In any case - I do get that commercial considerations of big corporations are remorseless. But I also think it's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

:)

RJC
29-Sep-2012, 12:25
How's the petition going?anything heard from fuji?

The last time I looked (a couple of days ago) the petition had reached something over 1700 signatures. Will Fuji take any notice ? ......

marfa boomboom tx
29-Sep-2012, 12:44
How's the petition going?anything heard from fuji?

DEAD on its needs (/\)

"money ain't got no need"

"you can't bring down the tower from the top"

from Mafa,
-- 'it's 17 miles to concrete; I'll drive'

mlatterich
21-Oct-2012, 06:43
Hi,

Are the rumors true that Fuji has changed chemical suppliers and come up with a new formulation for Velvia 50 and that these will be made available in November, including in 4x5 and 8x10? Or is it that they are selling a final production run? I'm running on my last pack of Velvia 50 in both 4x5 and 8x10 .....

EOTS
21-Oct-2012, 08:59
AFAIK it's the last batch...

algarzai
21-Oct-2012, 15:22
i wish a smaller company would start making good film so that we stop depending on companies that we cannot cover their fixed costs.

hint to those who know how to do it.

Jim Andrada
23-Oct-2012, 20:55
Couple of the Japanese camera stores are still showing 100F and 50F. Both 4 x 5 and 8 x 10.