PDA

View Full Version : need ANY info on orbit monorail

Lena
13-Feb-2004, 20:20
hello,

i have just received orbit monorail view camera as a prize in a photo exhibit and have no idea what to do with it. my school offers a studio class where they teach how to use LF equipment but now that i have this camera on my hands, i don't want to wait till next semester to use it. i have tried looking on the internet for any info on this camera and seem to have no luck. i know nothing about LF equipment, i am an intermediate photo student and have only gotten to MF. i would appreciate ANY kind of information anyone could give me on this, even if it is just a reference to a piece of literature or a website. thank you very much!

Ernest Purdum
13-Feb-2004, 20:45
"Orbit" is a tradename used by the former Burke & James Co. of Chicago. Orbit cameras were based on an earlier Kodak design and used Kodak tooling in their manufacture. The 4" X 5" Orbit was nearly identical to cameras sold by Calumet under that name, their 5" X 7" Orbits used many of the same parts but had a wooden back to take the larger film. Both models have all the movements needed for perspective control and control of the plane of sharp focus. They have been popular for teaching large format photography since their introduction.

Fortunately, there are several very informative books on view camera work which should answer most of your questions. You might look for:

Stroebel, "View Camera Technique"

Simmons, "Using the View Camera"

Stone "A User's Guide to the View Camera"

Shaman "The View Camera"

One of the authors, Steve Simmons, is a frequent contributor to this forum.

John D Gerndt
13-Feb-2004, 22:08
Try this site for on line infomation: www.largeformatphotography.info It was happily the first site I came across and led me to much needed information. This forum is good but based more for experienced users talking equipment and technique.

Cheers and welcome to the world of large!

Jon Shiu
13-Feb-2004, 23:34
Here's a guide to using the Calumet camera:
http://www.evergreen.edu/media/pdf/Calumet_4x5.pdftakes a while to load

Steve Gangi
14-Feb-2004, 08:22
Download the PDF file that was mentioned, and then set up the camera and play with it. Look at the groundglass to see what the different movements do. Then, get a pack of Polaroid film and Polaroid holder. Polaroid costs a bit more than regular film, but you get (almost) instant feedback. I have the Calumet version of your camera. If you take care of it, it will last almost forever. You will need a solid tripod, since the camera is pretty heavy for its size.

David Richhart
14-Feb-2004, 11:20
Hi Lena... You did not mention if you have a lens with the camera, or film holders. They are necessary items. If you have them you can get started right away...

You can start learning by using photo paper to take pictures instead of film. That way you can load the holders using a red safelight instead of the total darkness necessary for film. Figure the paper's ASA at about 10. After setting up and taking your picture, you can head back to the darkroom and process your paper. You can even use your "paper negative" to make contact prints. It's an inexpensive and simple way to get accustomed to the set-up and use of your camera.

Hope this helps you a little, I just know your going to have fun!!!

Jim Galli
14-Feb-2004, 11:22
Hi Lena. Excellent info so far. Did it come with a lens? Film holders? A picture is worth a million words and some hands on help is worth a million pictures. Where are you at. Maybe someone here would be willing to spend an afternoon getting you jump started. They are simpler cameras than you've worked with so far. Just bigger. Simmons "Using the View Camera" is excellent and far more readable for a beginner. Stroebel's book is the classic but it's more like reading the begats in the Bible.

Tony Galt
14-Feb-2004, 19:10
You might also look for a copy of Ansel Adams' book _Camera_, at least an older edition you might find in a used bookshop. The view camera featured in the illustrations is an Orbit or a Calumet of the type you have.