PDA

View Full Version : Minolta VI Meter

Kevin J. Kolosky
18-Jul-2012, 14:25
I have one that gives perfect readings in the incident mode, but is about 5 stops off in the reflective mode.

If you have owned one and had it recalibrated I would like to hear about your experience.

Thank you.

mandoman7
18-Jul-2012, 21:30
I have a Minolta III that I've used for many years. It never seemed to do reflected readings right. I only use it in the incident mode. I use it in concert with a Pentax spotmeter which I use for reflected readings. That stupid attachment that Minolta gives for reflected readings is pretty questionable, and I just gave up on it. The incident readings that I get, though, have been spot on for ever. I love using it for that purpose.

joselsgil
18-Jul-2012, 23:53
Kevin,

You may want to send your meter to a reputable repair shop. Out here in La La Land, Quality Light Metric, is one of the best still repairing meters.

Good luck,

Jose

Louis Pacilla
19-Jul-2012, 08:05
I think you may have meant Auto Meter IV 4 Not VI 6. Next, are you using the proper reflective light disk attachment in place of the incident sphere? If not you will not get the correct reflective reading no matter what.

Also, You have a dial in the battery compartment to adjust up or down 6 stops for compensation.

Besides the little reflective disk that should have come with the Auto meter IV you could also use one of the 5 or 10 % spot attachments for reflective metering. This will help you get more accurate reflective readings from a distance which can help with landscape readings.

Kevin J. Kolosky
19-Jul-2012, 15:05
I think I know what kind of meter I have. Click the photo for a larger version. The dial does not seem to have any effect on the reflective mode. There are no reflective disks or spot attachments.

Kevin J. Kolosky
19-Jul-2012, 15:13
Kevin,

You may want to send your meter to a reputable repair shop. Out here in La La Land, Quality Light Metric, is one of the best still repairing meters.

Good luck,

Jose

Jose

I have to drive out to Century City in the second week of August. Since Hollyweird is just down (or is it up) Santa Monica Blvd I may just pay QLL a visit after I stop at Pinks for a couple of foot longs.

Thanks

dsim
19-Jul-2012, 17:22
Well you won't be disappointed in Quality Light Metric's service. The turnaround is pretty fast.

Louis Pacilla
19-Jul-2012, 17:27
My apologies on the incorrect correction on the meter in your very own hands. I can see it's certainly a meter VI. Never seen one before. Seeing how I have a IV I can't say for sure but it looks like in the upper right hand corner is your compensation dial.Is that correct? Is that the dial that has no effect on your reading? If so that is certainly not right. That's one reason why they have compensation dial. Albeit, as the last resort until you can have it serviced.

Again sorry for the incorrect correction.:o

BTW- I just had a quick look at the Meter VI instructions and this is a very nice meter and I sure hope you get it working properly. Very cool meter!

Oh ya! I see in quick glance it looks like you use the buttons and meter interface to digitally dial compensation into the meter. On my Meter IV has a little yellow manual comp dial under the battery compartment. Very low tech.

Kevin J. Kolosky
19-Jul-2012, 19:10
The front of the Minolta VI

By the way, that dial on the back is a diopter adjustment to focus the spot meter.

There is an "alt" mode which will adjust stops plus or minus 10 each way that can be used. But normal is supposed to be 0 alt and I have to put it at positive ALT 7 for it to be correct. So again, something is amiss here.

brucetaylor
19-Jul-2012, 19:46
Jose

I have to drive out to Century City in the second week of August. Since Hollyweird is just down (or is it up) Santa Monica Blvd I may just pay QLL a visit after I stop at Pinks for a couple of foot longs.

Thanks

But you will probably not meet George. His address is a drop off at one of those shipping places like Pak 'n Postal. He stops in once or twice a day to pick up and drop off. Great guy though, he has fixed and/or calibrated many old and middle aged meters for me. They always come back perfect.

Kevin J. Kolosky
19-Jul-2012, 20:01
But you will probably not meet George. His address is a drop off at one of those shipping places like Pak 'n Postal. He stops in once or twice a day to pick up and drop off. Great guy though, he has fixed and/or calibrated many old and middle aged meters for me. They always come back perfect.

Encouraging!