PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing a Cambo Master - how do I do the following:

mcherry
16-Jul-2012, 09:05
Hello all!

I have been shooting with a Cambo Legend for some time, and was just able to pick up a Cambo Master for a song. There are three minor problems with this otherwise exceptionally clean camera that I'm hoping to fix.

1) The depth of field calculator (which is positioned on the back of the rear standard's fine focusing knob) is on backwards (the marking lines point to the knob instead of the other way around so I can't line them up with the marking dot). Is there anyway to disassemble the knob and reassemble it (without damaging it) so that I can reverse it. Also, most of the knobs could probably use a good cleaning and lubrication, so I would probably give all of them a good overhaul.

2) The camera is a Cambo Master (definitely) and I have the PDF instruction manual for it. However, the camera does not have the Ground Glass Scale for Tilt or the Ground Glass Scale for Swing etched into the ground glass. Is there anywhere to purchase a replacement ground glass that does? Also, I've noticed that there are now fresnel ground glass that make for a brighter edge to edge image. Would this be a wiser move? Is it possible to get both in the same piece?

3) It's missing one of the spirit levels. I could scavenge one from my old camera, but I'm going to be selling it to a friend, and would prefer to just get a new one, so I don't have to leave her in the same position.

That's it for now, I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this.

Kindest regards,

Matthew

Mark Sampson
16-Jul-2012, 09:55
Contact Calumet Photographic. They are the makers/distributors for Cambo cameras and their service department should be able to help.

mcherry
16-Jul-2012, 10:06
Thank you Mark. I'm pretty familiar with you Calumet in NYC and I know they repair Cambo cameras at a rate of $60 an hour. I'm hoping to avoid a couple of hundred dollars for a repair bill if I can do the work myself, which, if I had an actual repair manual, I'm certain I could.

Best,

Matthew

cowanw
16-Jul-2012, 10:59
Maybe the standard is on backwards

mcherry
16-Jul-2012, 11:06
Bill,

Thanks, but that isn't the case.

Best,

Matthew

Mark Sampson
16-Jul-2012, 15:38
Maybe they'll sell you the parts. They've done that for me (at least with CC-400 parts a long time ago).

John Koehrer
17-Jul-2012, 18:08
Is the DOF indicator part of the knob or a strip of metal held on by screws?.
2) A set screw in the knob? By removing it, the knob slips off & strip with arrow then slides off that?

David Karp
18-Jul-2012, 12:20
At one time, there was a guy named Jose at Calumet in Chicago who was really helpful with questions like this. He seemed to be the go-to guy for large format stuff there. If you need parts to fix something, he would automatically know what you needed. I talked to him a few times years ago. I don't know if he is still there, but it might be worth a try. It was free.

Steven Tribe
18-Jul-2012, 13:01
I'll have a look at my Cambo Master tomorrow.
It would be helpful if you posted a photo of the offending dof scale - and the GG. I am pretty sure there was a continuing update of the camera in it's production life.
Most Masters have lost one or two spirit levels. I doubt you can find replacements without adding to Calumet's revenue.
A different GG would not be cheap.
There are no-name replacement levels which could be adapted, I think.

mcherry
18-Jul-2012, 17:34
Thanks for the responses guys. I've been going back and forth with Jose Pueyo over at Calumet's repair facility in Chicago, a really great guy and a fantastic resource. I'm sharing what I found out in case anyone else has the same issues, now or in the future.

As far as the ground glass and the spirit level, they are both available. The item number for the ground glass with the tilt and swing scale is CB0215 and the price is $105.00. The part number for the spirit level is 9C307116 and the price is $12.99

As far as taking apart the knob assembly, he told me:

"To recalibrate the calculation knob is a plastic plug at front off the base assembly remove and is set screw loose and turn the knob assembly to the front"

I found this a bit less than helpful, but he did fax over to me a repair schematics for the camera, which I'm going through now. I will scan them and make them available to whoever else might want them.

Best,

Matthew

esp-legend
1-Jan-2013, 05:11
Hello all!

I have been shooting with a Cambo Legend for some time, and was just able to pick up a Cambo Master for a song. There are three minor problems with this otherwise exceptionally clean camera that I'm hoping to fix.

1) The depth of field calculator (which is positioned on the back of the rear standard's fine focusing knob) is on backwards (the marking lines point to the knob instead of the other way around so I can't line them up with the marking dot). Is there anyway to disassemble the knob and reassemble it (without damaging it) so that I can reverse it. Also, most of the knobs could probably use a good cleaning and lubrication, so I would probably give all of them a good overhaul.

2) The camera is a Cambo Master (definitely) and I have the PDF instruction manual for it. However, the camera does not have the Ground Glass Scale for Tilt or the Ground Glass Scale for Swing etched into the ground glass. Is there anywhere to purchase a replacement ground glass that does? Also, I've noticed that there are now fresnel ground glass that make for a brighter edge to edge image. Would this be a wiser move? Is it possible to get both in the same piece?

3) It's missing one of the spirit levels. I could scavenge one from my old camera, but I'm going to be selling it to a friend, and would prefer to just get a new one, so I don't have to leave her in the same position.

That's it for now, I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this.

Kindest regards,

Matthew

Hello,

I am looking for the instruction manual for the cambo master i see That you have one.
Can you send me à PDF version?

Thanks,

Max

Jonathan Barlow
2-Jan-2013, 11:04
The instruction manual is available here:

http://www.cambo.com/Html/downloads/Linkedfiles/english/download/Item55/Legend_Master_Instructions.pdf