PDA

View Full Version : Tips For Protecting the structure of the Chamonix 45N-2 when closed...

Kodachrome25
16-Jul-2012, 08:42
Hi gang,

I love my my Chamonix 45N-2 very much, but one thing I had reservations about is the lack of protection of internals when closed. I don't use bulky padded cases when hiking / climbing with it, so besides the wrap it came with, the camera is on it's own. Other folders like the Toyo AX, CF series are much better in this regard with full perimeter contact making them more structurally sound in terms of impacts.

So I did a couple things to make the 45N-2 better in this regard. One is to simply place a lens cleaning cloth between the focusing bed and front standard when closed, it is always good to have spares so this was a no brainer. The other was to cut two hard foam pieces, wrap them in gaffer's tape and wedge them in between the front and rear standard when closed. The span is neon in color so I can find it in the dark. None of these goodies take up much room and cost little to nothing...just an idea...

Check out the photos...

fecaleagle
18-Jul-2012, 19:31
Thanks very much for this. I've been looking hard at the Chamonix 045N-2, and I also do a lot of backpacking with a non-padded bag. I wasn't aware of this issue, and it wouldn't have occurred to me as I am currently using a Crown Graphic that folds up into a 5-pound brick.

Hopefully I'll get there someday, and I will definitely be making these foam blocks if I do.

Dave Hally
19-Jul-2012, 21:14
I cut a piece of leather to put between the front and bed when it's closed. It lives in a padded pocket in a soft cooler when it's not on a tripod. Haven ' t backpacker with it yet, I 'll probably just use it's wrap when I do. I may make a leather cover to protect it when I 'm carrying it on the tripod though.
Dave

Kodachrome25
20-Jul-2012, 11:27
Also, another word to the wise, don't use the CF ground glass protector when doing something like hiking that induces rhythmic motion...it put some scratches on the GG protector on a ten mile day. Mine now lives in a ziploc bag with the scratched clear plastic that I had to replace. I now use the folding viewer as it protects the GG with both a softer material and a bit of clearance, not to mention it being a viewer and a good flag for lens flare.

I not only think about protecting from impacts, but something like the bellows being worn by constantly moving pressure from a hike if there is lots of stuff in the pack pushing the camera tighter together. This is the other reason for the hard foam shims and the cleaning cloth in between the front standard and focusing base when closed...I can't clean a lens with a piece of leather...

I know companies make protective cases for these, but they have no place in my pack as they are only good for one thing if the going gets rough. At least with the included camera wrap, you could use it with other things to make a splint for an injury...

sethlatimer
20-Jul-2012, 11:50
I really love my chamonix. But there are a couple places that have gotten worn a bit that a new owner might want to know about. 1) when folded up the slide that attaches the bellows to the back of the front standard can hit the top of the back standard and scratch it. And 2) I got a couple scratches on the bottom of the back standard from the two pointy edges at the very bottom of the front standard. I know I can prevent 1 by making sure the front standard is lowered a bit before folding it up. I am not sure how to prevent 2. In either case these are extremely minor; the camera is great!
Seth

David R Munson
20-Jul-2012, 13:10
How about a plain ol' gear wrap? Protects mine just fine, and it doubles as a dark cloth when I'm packing light.

Kodachrome25
20-Jul-2012, 14:53
How about a plain ol' gear wrap? Protects mine just fine, and it doubles as a dark cloth when I'm packing light.

Of course, that is what I use too. But the reason I use the foam spacers is that the only thing supporting the closed camera halves besides the two hinge points are the compressed bellows. Given the kind of work I am doing with the 45N-2, I tend to want more structural integrity when closed and do not feel the camera by it self is 100% up to the task.

David R Munson
22-Jul-2012, 15:43
Seems like overkill to me, but if it buys you some peace of mind, go for it. :)

Kirk Gittings
22-Jul-2012, 15:52
Of course, that is what I use too. But the reason I use the foam spacers is that the only thing supporting the closed camera halves besides the two hinge points are the compressed bellows. Given the kind of work I am doing with the 45N-2, I tend to want more structural integrity when closed and do not feel the camera by it self is 100% up to the task.

What kind of work are you doing with it or are you just referring to backpacking and climbing?

Kodachrome25
22-Jul-2012, 23:42
Pretty much climbing, remote backpacking, sometimes needing to attach the pack to a haul line up cliff faces where it could bounce off of rocks. It may be overkill, but I figure a busted camera is dead weight. It's probably fine, I just figure for no cost to me, it is a little extra insurance...

What kind of work are you doing with it or are you just referring to backpacking and climbing?