PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Hotspots

Don Kellogg
16-Jul-2012, 08:33
I am planning a trip to Mt. Ranier National Park the third and fourth week in August. My understanding is that the has been quite a heavy snow pack this season and some of the subalpine meadows are still covered with snow. I am hopeful for wildflowers by then at Paradise. Any pointers as to location and time of day? Also, I plan to go up to the Mt. Shuksan area. What about Picture Lake? Heather Meadow? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Don Kellogg

ross
16-Jul-2012, 11:22
Hi Don:

I've been up on the flanks of Rainier quite a bit the last few weeks. The snow's melting fast and should be great for wildflowers the third week of August. This link might give you a little info:

http://blog.artwolfe.com/2012/05/what-to-shoot-in-june-and-july/

Let me know if you need more info closer to your trip.

Jeff

Not large format. From Paradise:

John Kasaian
16-Jul-2012, 11:50
Certainly the Olympic Penninsula deserves consideration, as well as The Dalles in Oregon.

Heroique
16-Jul-2012, 13:13
I am hopeful for wildflowers by then at Paradise.

Beautiful Paradise is above 5,000 feet, and on average, the snow melts-out in mid-July.

Recently, things have been very different:

Last year, the snow didn’t disappear until August 28th!

This year, they’re saying August 5th. (Right now, I’d say 20-30 inches on the ground.)

I think you’ll be fine for a late-and-gorgeous wildflower display. :cool:

Scott Knowles
16-Jul-2012, 16:12
Don, it's likely you'll be late for wildflowers except at the upper elevations. The higher than normal snowpack and later than normal snowmelt is turning normal very quickly. The wildflowers are already in bloom in the areas under 4,000 feet and will start in late July above 4-5,000 feet once the snow clears and 1-2 weeks later above 5,000 feet. You can get more on my Mt. Rainier NP photo guide (http://www.wsrphoto.com/mtstart.html). I'll update it with the August reports and prospect in 2 weeks (been late this year with health issues).

As for last year, it was a records snowmelt, one of the longest and latest on record, and this year was high and late but is following the normal snowmelt curve, see Paradise SNOTEL site (http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/wygraph-multi.pl?state=WA&wateryear=2012&stationidname=21C35S-PARADISE) which is southeast of Paradise, see map (http://www.wsrphoto.com/mtweathermap.html).

Interesting link to Art Wolfe and his workshops. I watched his group one day on my photo trip and talked to a few of them during a break they took. While his work is good (ok, great), his workshops aren't. Do the homework yourself and save your money.

Don Kellogg
18-Jul-2012, 19:19
Thanks for your replies. I'm excited about this trip. Any Suggestions about the Mt. Shuksan area? Good spots other than Picture Lake. Lodging near Mt. Shuksan?

Heroique
18-Jul-2012, 21:08
Mount Shuksan is in North Cascades Nat’l Park, quite a drive from Mount Rainier.

Me, if I chose two premier mountains for one trip, I’d stay close to Mount Rainier, and visit Mount Saint Helens. It’s just “down the road” by comparison, especially if you travel on the beautiful FS roads from Randle to Windy Ridge lookout. Plenty for two weeks. BTW, you also have Mount Adams nearby!

One fine place to stay near Mount Rainier is in Ashford, and there are others.

Michael S
19-Jul-2012, 07:03
I have to agree with Heroique, I was on the road to Windy Ridge and near Mt. Adams yesterday, it was a gorgeous day with truly breathtaking scenery. As for the Olympics, they deserve a whole trip in themselves and are not anywhere near where you are going to be. As for the Dalles (OR) I think John Kasaian means to suggest the Columbia River Gorge (west of the Dalles), however, as the Dalles is very dry, hot, and browned out this time of year (and not very interesting, in my opinion).

Sylvester Graham
19-Jul-2012, 20:45
I went to the rainforest on the peninsula two or three years ago. It was extremely dry. Moss looked very pale and sad.

*coughclimatechangecough*

Peter De Smidt
19-Jul-2012, 21:03
I was at Mt. Rainier about a week ago, and yes there's still a lot of snow. The Nisqually Vista Trail was completely snow-covered, but you should be fine at the end of August. There's a nice view from Reflection Lakes.

The Hoh rainforest was the low light of our trip.

Heroique
19-Jul-2012, 22:41
...I was on the road to Windy Ridge and near Mt. Adams yesterday, it was a gorgeous day with truly breathtaking scenery...

Northwest “Hotspot” indeed!

And Don, your upcoming trip reminds me of this steamy shot of Mount St. Helens, near Windy Ridge.

Whether you go near this temperamental woman or not, you’re heading for a fun region. :D

Tachi 4x5
Fuji A 240mm/9
T-Max 100 (in T-Max rs)
Epson 4990/Epson Scan