PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 film in 13x18 holders?

Ed Bray
13-Jul-2012, 03:56
I have a minor problem, I have some 5x7 film but only currently have two 13x18 film holders.

I have done some searching and found that it is not advisable to use 5x7 film in 13x18 holders as the film is likely to fall out when the dark slides are removed.

As I am pretty desperate to try out my 5x7 camera i wondered if I use a couple of really small loops of Scotch Magic Tape to hold the film into the film holder, would this allow me to use the 13x18 holders with the 5x7 film?

Any reasons why I shouldn't do this?

Film stock is Arista Edu 100.

TIA

Jimi
13-Jul-2012, 04:04
Arista Edu - did you buy this Foma film from the US, and got it shipped back to Europe? :)

I think there is no harm done in trying your idea out. Or do some paper negatives, fast and easy to process. As you already know I guess, you can get 13x18 from fomafoto.com and fotoimpex.

Ed Bray
13-Jul-2012, 06:00
Arista Edu - did you buy this Foma film from the US, and got it shipped back to Europe? :)

I think there is no harm done in trying your idea out. Or do some paper negatives, fast and easy to process. As you already know I guess, you can get 13x18 from fomafoto.com and fotoimpex.

Yes, bought the Arisa Edu from Freestyle and had it shipped to the UK, my second order with them. Last time I had it sent by some slow boat that went via China then to Australia before going back to Asia then finally arrived with me in the UK, okay I'm only joking but it seemed that long. This order I paid for the 2nd priced option which was FedEx International Premium and it took about 4 days from the email stating that it was sent.

I did not know about the two suppliers you mentioned, but I do now. An order will be placed with one of them very soon. Thank you very much.

cdholden
13-Jul-2012, 06:31
Silverprint may be a closer recommendation since you're in the UK.

Ed Bray
13-Jul-2012, 09:21
Silverprint may be a closer recommendation since you're in the UK.

Thanks, but Silverprint don't even sell 5x7 sheet film, let alone 13x18. The only place I can find 13x18 for sale in the UK is AG Photographic and they are currently out of stock.

Pete Watkins
13-Jul-2012, 10:20
Hi Ed,
I've got a few 13x18 holders as well as some 5x7's. I've considered sliding a bit of plastic/card (whatever) into one of the film holding sections of the 13x18 holders to reduce the gap by a small amount (as a spacer) so that 5x7 film fits in better. If you try it let me know if it worked.
Pete

Jimi
13-Jul-2012, 11:16
Glad I could be of some help, then. :) I just know that the cut size of the film can vary slightly, some sheets of one 5x7" box may work while another box of sheets may fall out of the 13x18 holder.

I guess I could ship you some 13x18 Fomapan (outdated but probably fine) but I suppose the time for shipping that might be the same as buying new film outright from Germany or Norway.

andreios
13-Jul-2012, 12:06
Try German vendors. Lumiere shop, maco direct et al. They are well stocked. And regarding Fomapan even cheaper than what I usually pay for orders directly from FOMA factory.

Ed Bray
13-Jul-2012, 12:15
Thanks for all the replies, I've only got two 13x18 film holders so have ordered 1 box of 50 13x18 film along with a couple of boxes of 5x7 Adox 25 from fotoimpex.

I will have at least a couple of 5x7 holders tomorrow as I was fortunate enough to be offerred a couple of new 5x7 Fidelity Elites but they were not cheap.

Fortunately I will hopefully have a few more next week when some of my purchases from this forum arrive in the UK.