PDA

View Full Version : filter system to work with spot filter

Paul Webster
11-Feb-2004, 08:40
I am in a quandary. I have three Schneider XL lenses: 58mm – 80mm and 110mm. All three of these lenses require a spot filter when shooting color transparency film, at least for my taste. I have been using a Cokin P holder with Sing-Ray filters. The Cokin P holder isn’t going to work with the 95mm spot filter, so of course I need to buy a whole new range of graduated neutral density filters to fit this larger size. The lenses are all 67mm without the spot filter.

I am hoping that the more experienced can guide me here. What kind of system will work with this spot filter? I looked at the Lee slip-on holder but that only fits lenses with an outside dimension of 100mm and they don’t offer a 86mm adapter for wide angle lenses.

Any suggestions?

Ralph Barker
11-Feb-2004, 08:58
I use the HiTech system for 100mm gel/resin/polyester filters. The HiTech system uses adapter rings, up to 105mm (including a 95mm adapter), to mate between the lens and the filter holder.

Michael Mutmansky
11-Feb-2004, 09:39
Paul,

Did you talk to Lee? I seem to recall asking them about that specific application, and they indicated that they can supply the slip-on adapter in the appropriate size for the center filter. I may be wrong on that, but I think it is available, just not listed anywhere on their website.

I think the Lee system is excellent, and while I don't have the slip-on adapter for the CF, I do use the system on my normal lenses, and think it's a excellent, robust system. It is a fairly large hood (especially the wide angle hood), so if size is an issue, you may not be best served with the Lee line.

---Michael

Ed Candland
11-Feb-2004, 09:45
Hi Paul,

I'm a bit confused as to what it is your looking for. By spot filter do you mean center filter? If so all 3 lenses you list use 67mm center filters not 95mm. Also as to center filters on the XL 110mm, your the first person I have ever heard of using one for 4x5 anyway, which is what I assume your using considering the other lenses listed. But then I don't have that lens so I can't really give an opinion on that one.

Good luck, Ed

Dan Baumbach
11-Feb-2004, 09:46
I had to retire my Singh-Ray/Cokin system when I got a center filter for my 75mm lens. I got a Lee system and now that I'm used to it I like it a lot better.

I got mine from Robert White in the UK. Even with the additional shipping charge their prices were cheaper than B&H and their web site is much clearer in presenting the Lee offerings.

- Dan.

Paul Webster
11-Feb-2004, 10:09
If only my brain worked as fast as my typing Ed, of course you are right. The lenses, all three, are 67mm. The center filter has an outside thread that is 86mm.

I am new to this format, I traded in a extensive medium format system with a Kodak digital back for my new LF system that includes all 3 of the lenses that I was asking about. Thanks for correcting me.

I have only tried these lenses with black and white film, but I was told that I would need to use the center filter on even the 110mm with color transparency film, is this incorrect?

Ed Candland
11-Feb-2004, 16:21
Hey Paul,

<<I have only tried these lenses with black and white film, but I was told that I would need to use the center filter on even the 110mm with color transparency film, is this incorrect?<<

Well, I don't have this lens so I can't really say for sure, but from all I have heard unless your going to use 5x7 I don't think you'll need a center filter with this lens. It has a HUGE image circle for a lens of this focal length and I think you'd be hard pressed to reach a point where light fall off is an issue. Maybe if your shooting architectural or product photography with very large movements.

BTW welcome to LF photography I'm sure you'll have lots of fun. What camera did you purchase to go along with those 3 top flight pieces of glass?

Ed

Henry Ambrose
11-Feb-2004, 17:30
No you don't need a center filter for the 110. On the 80- you will probably use it fairly often and the 58 will require it most times. After you find your filter system buy a 67 to 86 step adaptor so you can use the system without the CF on your lenses when you choose.

Do a search of this forum and you will find several posts on these particular lenses and center filter use.

Paul Webster
11-Feb-2004, 17:59
Thanks people; I am going to try calling Mr. White in the morning.

Ed; I bought an Ebony SV45U2.

I have put off buying a large format camera for years because I was (a) lazy, and didn't want to deal with all the bother; (b) scared of all the new stuff to learn. I was comfortable with medium format but never quite satisfied with the quality of the images, I always felt I was somehow cheating myself.

I got into digital about a year ago and put quite a lot of money into the equipment but that didn't satisfy me either. I can't explain exactly but it somehow just didn't feel right.

I happened to pick up a copy of View Camera and after looking at the images I called up a dealer and made the trade. I have had more fun with this silly wooden box in the last few weeks than with all my high tech gear in the last few years.

Ed Candland
11-Feb-2004, 21:35
<<I have had more fun with this silly wooden box in the last few weeks than with all my high tech gear in the last few years.>>

Paul,

I can sure relate. There's something very satisfying about using a view camera. Very nice gear you got there, I guess you won't be upgrading anytime soon. ;-) Good luck and have fun.

Ed