PDA

View Full Version : Identify quick-release base of original Ebony 45S?

john wilton
12-Jul-2012, 09:41
I have a very old (1980s) Ebony 45s. It has a baseplate attached below the bottom of the camera that looks very much like a quick-release plate. (It is very different from current production). Can anyone identify the system? It is 56.4mm in the long (transverse) dimension by 54.8mm. There is a notch near the corner on one edge.

darr
12-Jul-2012, 10:18
John,

I do not believe that is a 'quick release plate'. I believe it is the original tripod plate. You would need to attach a quick release plate to it that would be accepted by your tripod. I have a newer 45S and yes, that is not what is current for the model, however, I have owned 4 Ebony's and I do remember my first one, a SV45U having a larger plate similar to the one in the photo.

Darr

john wilton
12-Jul-2012, 18:12
Here's the answer from Hiromi:

"The base plate of your 45S was made for a quick release which was discontinued many years ago."

If anyone has a tripod-side receiver plate...

darr
12-Jul-2012, 19:01
John,

What tripod head are you using?

john wilton
13-Jul-2012, 12:50
With the 45S, I use an old Ries Model C both with and without a Ries tilt head. Don't really need a quick release; but if I had a receiver that matched the camera base it would be nice!

darr
13-Jul-2012, 13:29
John,

I do not think there is a quick release (QR) system with your tripod head, but you may be able to use an add-on, but I would not if I remember how my Ries head was designed (sold years ago). If you were using an Arca-Swiss type QR system (i.e., Arca Swiss, Really Right Stuff (RRS), Kirk, and others), then you could buy a plate for the 45S (I currently use an RRS) and use it with the QR head, but it is what it is--no quick release plate necessary.

Kind regards,
Darr