PDA

View Full Version : Gandolfi Precision 4x5 w/ case, lenses and several backs.

James B. McCourtney
12-Jul-2012, 05:38
Haven't been on the forum for over a year, so excuse my lack of introduction. But I have my old profile filled out.

I am considering selling my 4x5 Gandolfi (w/ numerous accessories). This camera has been with me for over forty years and she has quite a bit of family history. Hasn't been used in years, and for it's personal connection, I've held on to it only as a keepsake. I know I never will use it again and as I get older would love to find a good home for it. (I'm not an ebay person, or regular seller of equipment - just an older photographer with too many keepsakes).

If the (For sale/wanted) LFPF is the right venue, I will gladly post photos and a list of original accessories. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - James (Brad) McCourtney

dap
12-Jul-2012, 07:03
HI Brad,

Valuing Gandolfi cameras in the states is tough...it is not a well known name here. There was a sweet 5x7 gandolfi precision in great condition (that was recently CLAd and had some very useful modifications) that was listed here in the classifieds not long ago. The asking price was about $1500 - I don't know if it sold or not (you might have an easier time selling yours though due to the fact that it is 4x5 which is a much more popular format than 5x7). You might want to check out completed auctions on ebay UK (you'll find more Gandolfi cameras in the UK vs the states) and see if any have sold recently - that will give you an idea of realistic used prices. As with any used item - condition really affects price.

As for the value of the lenses - do a search in the classifieds here and see if any similar lenses have been sold and for how much (as well as performing a completed ebay auction search).

Personally I would give the forum classifieds a shot before sending it to ebay. Ebay has been becoming more and more of a pain as far as high fees and seller protection are concerned. If it doesn't sell here ship it off to the bay.

James B. McCourtney
12-Jul-2012, 07:30
Thanks "Dap".

As I mentioned, I'm not an ebay person or particularily interested in listing there. I did do some research on past sales and they varied. I will continue to do a little bit more. But, ideally would love to sell the camera, case, backs, lenses & holders etc as one item. And would love to sell it to someone who either really appreciates it or would love to continue using it. It's really not about the money (though I could use it) but, more about finding someone that cares. I purchased all these items from Fred and his brother in Peckham in 1969, all with the original case. At the time, the camera was two years old and Fred refurbished it with leather bellows and changed the tri-pod screw socket to a 3/8". I'm not in a hurry, but she's been sittin' under my portfolio shelving for some time, and hoping for a new home.

jumanji
12-Jul-2012, 09:11
I always dream about a Gandolfi 4x5. I shoot mostly 8x10 portrait with vintage lens so not many movements needed. So I'd like a 4x5 vintage camera with movements to do some Ansel Adams's lessons. After many research I know all I need is a Gandolfi 4x5 :D. But probably it's always in my dream... always.

Anyway, post some pictures of her. Let us see how beautiful she is!

James B. McCourtney
12-Jul-2012, 09:33
I want to give it 24 hours on this post to make sure it's OK with the forum moderator to switch over to the "for sale" section. Over the weekend I will take some shots of the camera and accessories and post the lengthy details. Again, I'm hoping to find somebody that cares and would continue, hopefully, to use it. I did some great 'ad' work, in my early career with this camera and would love to see it go to a good home. Also, I am going to try to make it affordable.

cdholden
12-Jul-2012, 09:40
There's really nothing to approve. Go for it.
As long as its within the forum guideliines, there should no problem. Use common sense, provide a good description, detailed photos, an asking price and you're all set.

E. von Hoegh
12-Jul-2012, 10:00
I want to give it 24 hours on this post to make sure it's OK with the forum moderator to switch over to the "for sale" section. Over the weekend I will take some shots of the camera and accessories and post the lengthy details. Again, I'm hoping to find somebody that cares and would continue, hopefully, to use it. I did some great 'ad' work, in my early career with this camera and would love to see it go to a good home. Also, I am going to try to make it affordable.

It's absolutely OK. You've been here more than 30 days, therefore you have access to the "For Sale" section.
I'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures, wish I could afford a Gandolfi.

Bill_1856
12-Jul-2012, 10:43
Here's why they are so desirable:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?91940-FS-Gandolfi-5x7-Camera

Kuzano
12-Jul-2012, 12:49
(I'm not an ebay person, or regular seller of equipment - just an older photographer with too many keepsakes).

I can appreciate what you are saying here, and this venue in the classifieds would probably give you a good response and a fair share of people who recognize Gandolfi as a high quality camera... at least from it's original pricing and marketing. I suspect that was the case with real life experience.

However, I teach eBay classes, and have bought-sold primarily photo gear for about 8 years now. eBay is a strange phenomena, and not nearly the "devils pit" so many think it is.

Right now, Large Format is enjoying a strange and rising price market.

First, it is the largest single marketplace for exposure of any product IN THE WORLD. Seriously. (WELL OK, other than the US as arms dealers to the world.
Second, It makes no difference if the buyer knows what a Gandolfi is, if you promote the product properly.
Third, poorly designed and timed ads on eBay can be price disastrous.
Fourth, a well designed, timed and presented listing can deliver very surprising (good surprise that is) results on price.
Fifth, eBay can be as secure a way to sell anything, if you know the security procedures. eBay is very safe for someone who adheres to certain ways of doing things on eBay.
Sixth, eBay is a factor of 10 better than Craigslist, which is only local market and infested with hackers, spammers, and fraud.
Seventh, eBay is rather anonymous, ie no phone calls, no direct email contact, if you follow the rules everything is through the eBay system.
Eighth, eBay is generally between 11 to 15% posting and final value fees, which is by far less than any photo shop would commission to self for.

Last, Large Format gear is in those cases I mentioned bringing outrageously high prices currently, as I would presume a Gandolfi would gather. Can't remember the last time I saw a Gandolfi on eBay, but I suspect there are people out there looking for them and running searches on eBay. The people who seem to be getting top dollar are simply listing quite high prices on a "fixed" price - No Auctions - and waiting out the market. As we used to say in the car business... There's a Butt for every Seat. A smart seller, who is under no financial pressure to sell, simply responds to a lot of interested Butts, until the one who fits comes along.

So, while I don't expect to change your mind on eBay, I do say you are overlooking the largest target audience you may find, because there is so much LF activity on eBay presently. Whatever the research tells you on pricing... pick the average and add 10-15% if you want top dollar and if that satisfies you. If you are, in fact a philanthropist, seeking to do good for someone, figure out the average and deduct 10 to 15% and get it to a "good home"

Now, let me tell you about "Good Home" buyers. Someone seeking to benefit by your philanthropy will actually be someone who sees making a few hundred dollars on the deal. They will be camera dealers and people like myself who buy low merely for the sake of selling high. That's the nature of many of the responses you get, no matter where you deal... here, local advertising or eBay. Do yourself a favor and spend about 3-6 months getting the highest dollar you can.

Disclosure: Simply advice here! Presume you will suit yourself.

James B. McCourtney
12-Jul-2012, 13:39
Thanks Kuzano for your seasoned advice.

Hopefully I did not talk this 'camera scenario' up too much. This Gandolfi precision 4x5 is not a pristine mint condition outfit. This is a clean 'working' camera in good condition with some unique features and unusual accessories. Though, for a restorer it could easily be part of a small re-hab project for that interested collector.

This weekend I will post (with photos) in the for sale/ wanted section.

Thanks to every one for their replies.

Emil Schildt
12-Jul-2012, 13:51
Hi Brad.
I am in love with these cameras - have never understood the need to buy Deardorf when you can get a Gandolfi...;-) - I'd love to see what you got. Images.

I allready have a Gandolfi 4x5 (I have 6 different sizes..) BUT my girlfriend hasn't! And it is about time to start thinking about a present to her as she is about to finish her university studies.....

Not promising anything, but tempted by the idea...

The last two Gandolfi's (4x5 and 5x7) I got was both for 1000$ - both from USA.

You might consider whether you want to send overseas...

Emil Schildt
12-Jul-2012, 13:54
Now, let me tell you about "Good Home" buyers. Someone seeking to benefit by your philanthropy will actually be someone who sees making a few hundred dollars on the deal. They will be camera dealers and people like myself who buy low merely for the sake of selling high. That's the nature of many of the responses you get, no matter where you deal... here, local advertising or eBay. Do yourself a favor and spend about 3-6 months getting the highest dollar you can.

wow - glad you don't know me....

aluncrockford
12-Jul-2012, 14:26
I bought a precision 5x4 for £800 last year in decent condition with dodgy bellows, so i suggest that this would be a good starting point

Bill_1856
12-Jul-2012, 17:16
Where in Florida are you located?

Kuzano
12-Jul-2012, 19:06
Thanks Kuzano for your seasoned advice.

Hopefully I did not talk this 'camera scenario' up too much. This Gandolfi precision 4x5 is not a pristine mint condition outfit. This is a clean 'working' camera in good condition with some unique features and unusual accessories. Though, for a restorer it could easily be part of a small re-hab project for that interested collector. Thanks to every one for their replies.

Actually, I did not consider your camera as other than good user condition from how you described your situation. I do not, nor want to have, any play in the collector market. I buy/sell good user cameras. And to placate the poster "Gandolfi", I probably would not try to lowball or take advantage of you. Gandolfi's from what little I do know are too high end for me. I was just explaining that there are surely "grifters" on eBay who would have you think they are looking for a good user, when they are actually looking to make big $$$.

I will be interested in seeing the post and pics of your Gandolfi Precision. There are currently no such animals on eBay, nor have I seen one in some time.

I was talking about how out of whack the LF market is on eBay. I saw a buyer pay $681 last month for a body only Toyo 45A that quite visibly had major bellows misfolds and needed a new bellows. I'm more likely to see good user conditions Toyo 45A's sell from $500 to $550. My sales in LF have all been good fair prices and sold internationally. I've had four LF sales and one Digital SLR sell in the Federation of Russia in the last two months. The money seems to be in Europe and Baltic countries presently.

James B. McCourtney
13-Jul-2012, 04:06
Bill - I'm in Sarasota as well.

James B. McCourtney
14-Jul-2012, 09:18
Sounds like you have quite a selection.

I finally posted the equipment last night in the "for sale" section - a few photos and some history. There seems to be a lot of movement there as the listing today has already ended up on Page 2.

James B. McCourtney
14-Jul-2012, 09:37
(My Gandolfi Camera Outfit)

Can't figure out how to create a link to my "for sale" post. Was hoping that I could do it here within this thread but, any way it's now over there - somewhere.

E. von Hoegh
14-Jul-2012, 09:42
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?92854-Gandolfi-Precision-4x5-w-case-lenses-and-several-backs

Copy and paste from the address box.

Greg Blank
14-Jul-2012, 09:42
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?92854-Gandolfi-Precision-4x5-w-case-lenses-and-several-backs

Nice camera, I have a Variant,... the MDF version purchased many years ago.

Emil Schildt
14-Jul-2012, 12:54
If you write something extra it "bumps" up to front again...

(I just did)

James B. McCourtney
15-Jul-2012, 07:56
Well "Gan" - lovers of Gandolfi's appear to be bright people. It's only taken me about 24 hours to figure out the forum.

I've only posted (this equipment) on the LF Forum because this site appears truly dedicated to the large format interests and has honorable guidelines. Take care- Brad.

If you write something extra it "bumps" up to front again...

(I just did)

Simon P
6-Jan-2013, 10:54
Haven't been on the forum for over a year, so excuse my lack of introduction. But I have my old profile filled out.

I am considering selling my 4x5 Gandolfi (w/ numerous accessories). This camera has been with me for over forty years and she has quite a bit of family history. Hasn't been used in years, and for it's personal connection, I've held on to it only as a keepsake. I know I never will use it again and as I get older would love to find a good home for it. (I'm not an ebay person, or regular seller of equipment - just an older photographer with too many keepsakes).

If the (For sale/wanted) LFPF is the right venue, I will gladly post photos and a list of original accessories. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - James (Brad) McCourtney

James - did you sell your Gandolfi? I had one until New Years Eve when my house was broken into (south of England) and my Gandolfi 4 x 5 was stolen - particularly upsetting as I had bought it in person from the Gandolfis when they were still working in the 80's. I've no idea what its worth either - or if I stand a chance of finding another. Would appreciate hearing from you - Simon P.

Louis Pacilla
6-Jan-2013, 11:16
James - did you sell your Gandolfi? I had one until New Years Eve when my house was broken into (south of England) and my Gandolfi 4 x 5 was stolen - particularly upsetting as I had bought it in person from the Gandolfis when they were still working in the 80's. I've no idea what its worth either - or if I stand a chance of finding another. Would appreciate hearing from you - Simon P.

Well that just sucks.

Did you put the word out to all local camera and pawn shops? Do you have you serial #'s or photos of gear? If so you may want to take the photos/serial #'s along to show the camera/pawn brokers so they have a "heads up" so to be on the lookout.

You can also put a "sticky post" here regarding your Stolen Gandolfi. Not sure which section maybe "Announcements" and it helps to add serial #'s and photo's of camera/gear.

Sure hope your original Gandolfi finds it's way back to you soon or you find a replacement.

James B. McCourtney
6-Jan-2013, 11:27
Simon - First go to my profile and look through my posts. Most are there concerning the sale of my 5 x 4 Gandolfi. Yes I sold it at my asking price - then saw it sold again by the buyer within 30 days. They are around, but most say they are more common abroad - in England and Europe.

What part of England are you in. I studied at Exeter College of Art for my foundation year, then transferred to Medway College of Design in Rochester - graduating in 1972. (commercial photography).

Good luck - and if you need additional information contact me through the private message in my profile. Be good - Brad

Simon P
6-Jan-2013, 13:46
Well that just sucks.

Did you put the word out to all local camera and pawn shops? Do you have you serial #'s or photos of gear? If so you may want to take the photos/serial #'s along to show the camera/pawn brokers so they have a "heads up" so to be on the lookout.

You can also put a "sticky post" here regarding your Stolen Gandolfi. Not sure which section maybe "Announcements" and it helps to add serial #'s and photo's of camera/gear.

Sure hope your original Gandolfi finds it's way back to you soon or you find a replacement.

Thanks your reply and suggestions - I am generally putting the word about and the camera is on the fine art loss register - it's nice to get some sympathy from people who know about cameras! Most of my friends start "glazing over" when I start extolling the virtues of a Gandolfi!

Simon P
6-Jan-2013, 13:53
Simon - First go to my profile and look through my posts. Most are there concerning the sale of my 5 x 4 Gandolfi. Yes I sold it at my asking price - then saw it sold again by the buyer within 30 days. They are around, but most say they are more common abroad - in England and Europe.

What part of England are you in. I studied at Exeter College of Art for my foundation year, then transferred to Medway College of Design in Rochester - graduating in 1972. (commercial photography).

Good luck - and if you need additional information contact me through the private message in my profile. Be good - Brad

Thanks Brad - I will go through the posts in your profile. I am in the south and studied at Epsom School of Art - graduating in 1978 (Communication Design) I then worked briefly as a photographer's assistant (He had a 10 X 8 Gandolfi!) Thanks again - Simon.

Emil Schildt
6-Jan-2013, 15:03
First: I am sorry for this. I don't know what I'd do if any of my Gandolfi's would be stolen....

I wanted Brad's Gandolfi SO much, but it wasn't ment to be..

But they ARE around - I'll see if I can find you a link or two..

..later: Crap - I thought I could find you three (+ the one on sale on the bay right now..)

Only found one, and it is an old version - on the other hand, not expensive..

Just a few days ago www.mwclassic.com had three... apparently the two now sold..

last one here: http://www.mwclassic.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_END_OF_YEAR_DISCOUNTED_STOCK_3.html

(scroll down a little.)

mwclassic have those on a regular basis, so keep watching out..

Best of luck
emil

aluncrockford
6-Jan-2013, 16:17
Now that was a vintage set of students, I assisted so many ex Medway students from that era including Brian and Derek Seward, Ian Gilles ,graham ford and Kevin summers, all top class advertising photographers . Unfortunatly that style of photographic education has long gone, which is a bit of a travesty for any new student looking to make a living in the commercial photographic world

Simon P
7-Jan-2013, 03:02
Many thanks emil - will keep looking,
Simon.

Emil Schildt
10-Jan-2013, 09:58
Many thanks emil - will keep looking,
Simon.

so - there was a reason why I couldn't fine the one on mwclassic ...

They have put it on auction.. so it is right here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GANDOLFI-Brass-and-Mahogany-5x4-Field-Camera-with-Red-Bellows-Universal-Back-/170971508301?pt=UK_Photography_VintageCameras_SM&hash=item27ceb22e4d

Roger Hesketh
10-Jan-2013, 19:51
Looks good with the red bellows. Anybody care to hazard a guess as to which lens board size it might take. Emil they do still have one listed on their website. It is a Tailboard 5x4 which looks to me as though it could be one of the prison mugshot cameras they made. It is available for very sensible money if I was not currently so skint I might consider it.

Roger

BradS
10-Jan-2013, 20:36
so - there was a reason why I couldn't fine the one on mwclassic ...

They have put it on auction.. so it is right here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GANDOLFI-Brass-and-Mahogany-5x4-Field-Camera-with-Red-Bellows-Universal-Back-/170971508301?pt=UK_Photography_VintageCameras_SM&hash=item27ceb22e4d

interesting that the bed on that one is split the same as the one that James offered here...

Roger Hesketh
11-Jan-2013, 03:14
I have a 5x7 one for which I also have a 5x4 reducing back. On mine the bed is not split but their is a very fine crack emanating from one of the two tripod sockets which extends a couple of inches either side but does not extend all the way across the bed.I think the damage is caused by mounting the camera on a standard tripod head. I believe the camera is designed to be mounted on the two mounting points on the flat baize covered bed on top of a Gandolfi tripod.

Simon P
20-Feb-2013, 11:18
Am pleased to report that the Police have recovered my stolen Gandolfi - I noticed it for sale on ebay!
Simon

Dave Tolcher
20-Feb-2013, 12:02
Am pleased to report that the Police have recovered my stolen Gandolfi - I noticed it for sale on ebay!
Simon

Wouldnt have been the one in Portsmouth by any chance - I nearly tried to buy that !

Emil Schildt
20-Feb-2013, 15:30
Wouldnt have been the one in Portsmouth by any chance - I nearly tried to buy that !

yeah - which one?

(congrats on that though!!)

Dave Tolcher
21-Feb-2013, 03:18
I did manage to buy one yesterday on fleabay which I suspect is whole plate or 10x8 but not advertised as such. Just looking at the scale next to bricks it isnt a 5x4.
Should get it tomorrow so looking forward to that. Not quite sure how I will explain to the significant other that the Gandolfi has become two within the space of a few days....

Emil Schildt
21-Feb-2013, 04:10
I did manage to buy one yesterday on fleabay which I suspect is whole plate or 10x8 but not advertised as such. Just looking at the scale next to bricks it isnt a 5x4.
Should get it tomorrow so looking forward to that. Not quite sure how I will explain to the significant other that the Gandolfi has become two within the space of a few days....

congrats!!

If it was the one just sold with a short description, then I had contact with the seller.

It is a 7x5 version. The extra back is also 7x5 but looks to be to be a different type of back (for single holders).

A steal if you ask me!!

Steven Tribe
21-Feb-2013, 05:12
Congrats on locating the stolen Gandolfi!

It is a real gem - can still be seen as 221187022136.

I suppose the lister had got it at a car boot-sale?

Dave Tolcher
21-Feb-2013, 06:07
congrats!!

If it was the one just sold with a short description, then I had contact with the seller.

It is a 7x5 version. The extra back is also 7x5 but looks to be to be a different type of back (for single holders).

A steal if you ask me!!

Thanks for that, I did correspond on the other one he sold but lost the auction race ! If its Ok then the price is good, my initial thought was 5x7 but the proportions didnt look quite right, looks a bit square for 5x7. We will see ! This one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gandolfi-Vintage-Camera-/111011025630?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=xvW2ZobL0tS5AfQtKtM1KKrXoTs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Simon P
22-Feb-2013, 14:32
Yes it was found at a car boot sale! As my insurers picked up the tab for a replacement I now have two! - if anyone wants one let me know.....
Simon.

Emil Schildt
22-Feb-2013, 14:48
Yes it was found at a car boot sale! As my insurers picked up the tab for a replacement I now have two! - if anyone wants one let me know.....
Simon.

always interested - but what are to referring to??

:rolleyes:

Edit: aah - think I got it...

Dave Tolcher
23-Feb-2013, 01:05
Thanks for that, I did correspond on the other one he sold but lost the auction race ! If its Ok then the price is good, my initial thought was 5x7 but the proportions didnt look quite right, looks a bit square for 5x7. We will see ! This one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gandolfi-Vintage-Camera-/111011025630?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=xvW2ZobL0tS5AfQtKtM1KKrXoTs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Turned out to be a whole plate.... with newish bellows. Back and holders are whole plate (different size) from a Kodak camera.