PDA

View Full Version : camera for shooting pola/fuji-roids

andreios
10-Jul-2012, 23:17
Hi all,
for long time I've been wanting to try shooting polaroid and fuji instant films - in the larger, 4x5 size. the problem is, I do not own a 4x5 camera(and don't think I want to buy in any near future). Those 5x7 negatives from my Sinar are so beautiful...
Anyway...
What would be the simplest (and cheapest) way to a camera that would allow me to shoot 4x5 instant film? Any of old polaroid (folding) cameras worth looking into? Which model? For what money? Or would be best to get a polaroid holder, a Super Angulon and a build a DIY point and shoot? Or get myself a speed graphic? (BTW, are pola backs attachable to old speeds and crowns?)
Forgive me these dumb questions, but I am completely new to Polaroids, they seem to be quite rare in these parts of the planet...

Thank you for any suggestions!

vinny
11-Jul-2012, 06:20
Search 4x5 instant film.
It's almost gone. Not being produced in the 100 asa varieties (for the u.s. Anyway).

andreios
11-Jul-2012, 12:39
That IS bad news.. Didn't know it's that tragic with 4x5 instant film.. Pointless question now.. Or it should be reformulated to smaller format - 3.25 x 4.25 that is and Land Cameras?

jp
11-Jul-2012, 17:09
You want something with a graflex or equivalent back. Some speed graphic and most crown graphics have it. Look for the the chrome arms above and below the groundglass for the type of back. There are fuji backs for the 4x5 and the slightly smaller and more available film.

rdenney
11-Jul-2012, 18:11
You want something with a graflex or equivalent back.

You mean a "Graflok" back.

Old Polaroid 405 holders will also work with that Graphic camera, and it uses the still-available quarter-plate Fujiroid film.

But for "cheapest", stockpile some film now and wait for Ben Syverson to make his plastic 4x5 camera available. Strap a 405 on it, find a cheap 90mm Angulon or some such, and save at least a hundred bucks compared to a ratty Speed.

Rick "who uses his Speed for instant film" Denney

andreios
11-Jul-2012, 23:37
You mean a "Graflok" back.

Old Polaroid 405 holders will also work with that Graphic camera, and it uses the still-available quarter-plate Fujiroid film.

But for "cheapest", stockpile some film now and wait for Ben Syverson to make his plastic 4x5 camera available. Strap a 405 on it, find a cheap 90mm Angulon or some such, and save at least a hundred bucks compared to a ratty Speed.

Rick "who uses his Speed for instant film" Denney

This sounds quite good to me! At least good start. And good news about the 405 holders. I assume, the polaroid would also work with a pinhole for starters?
Thanks, Rick

jp
12-Jul-2012, 18:46
Fuji color isn't great for pinhole. They get an unpleasant green color cast because of reciprocity failure in addition to the normal exposure uncertainties from said problem.

Frank Petronio
12-Jul-2012, 22:00
You want an old Polaroid 405 holder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RZi2rGN80s) or the newer Fuji PA 145 holder to use the current Fuji Instant film in color ISO 100: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/18595-USA/Fujifilm_15435626_FP_100C_Professional_Instant_Color.html and B&W ISO 3000: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/843361-REG/Fujifilm_15200772_Instant_Black_White.html.

These will fit most post-WW2 4x5 cameras backs, either slid under the ground glass or secured with the sliding tabs of the Graflock or International back.

Note these are smaller images than 4x5 but they are still useful for lighting tests and final art, just understand what you are getting into.

I would not wait for any new products to be released.

You could buy older 4x5 Polaroid film on eBay to use in a Polaroid 545 holder but it would be expensive. The current Fuji film costs less than a dollar per image. Most old 4x5 Polaroid will cost $3 to $10 per sheet.

sanchi heuser
13-Jul-2012, 00:13
You could just use a Sinar reducing back 5x7 - 4x5
and mount a Polaroid 405
or Fuji PA-145 holder on it.
Make some frame markings on the groundglas.

andreios
13-Jul-2012, 12:15
Frank, thanks for in-depth explanation.

Sanchi, I know this is a possibility, but it would seem to be an overkill for me to carry heavy camera with still heavier tripod just to make "some snapshots" :-)

EdSawyer
14-Jul-2012, 18:37
Search on the chamonix saber. It is perhaps the ultimate camera for this purpose....handheld 4x5 rangefinder, compatible with all 4x5 sheet film and all polaroid fujiroid pack film, using the appropriate backs.