PDA

View Full Version : Need a new tripod sling...

John Kasaian
10-Jul-2012, 19:48
...for my wooden Ries---lashing it to the back pack is out of the question. I donn't want to spend the $$ on a rifle sling if I don't have to. Does anyone here have a good DIY solution?

RichardSperry
11-Jul-2012, 07:51
A rifle sling is a great idea.

Thanks.

icouldbeahero
17-Jul-2012, 13:14
I got a tripod strap from http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/. I am guessing a rifle strap would be similar in price, but this at least is designed for tripods.

David A. Goldfarb
17-Jul-2012, 17:01
The Kinesis straps aren't too expensive, and I've been happy with mine for a few years now. I have the T315 on this page--

http://www.kgear.com/store/t/straps.html

--and use it on my Gitzo 5-series CF tripod, which can weigh anywhere from 7-13 lbs, depending on how I set it up (center column, head, leveling head, etc.).

They also have a bigger one with a wider strap.

DIY--I'm sure you can fashion something out of an old belt or whatever. It's not such a complicated thing. It should attach near the head and should have a loop at the other end to go around the three legs so that everything stays in place when you carry it in whatever manner is comfortable to you. I usually carry the tripod head down more or less perpendicular to the ground and behind my back. Some people like to carry it head up at a 45-deg. angle to the ground with their arm resting on the strap and their hand on or near the head, etc.

Drew Bedo
26-Jul-2012, 18:14
I tend to collect shoulder straps from old luggage. Often a thrift store or resale shop will have decent quality luggage at rock bottom prices . . .<$10. When something wears out, I keep the strap. Now I have a small drawer full.

With that said: I got ahold of an old surveyor's tripod (vintage is the polite word). It is a beast in cast iron and wood. A sporting goods/hunting store had a wide selection of nylon dog collars. I bought two: One is adjusted to fit the wider top part, the other is adjusted to wrap the pointy ends, A stout luggage strap snap-clips to the D rings on the dog collars.

If that strap breaks, there are several others to replace it with.

Any help?

Another solution would be something involving 1/4" clothes line and macreme knotting.

Anyone here ever put a big wooden tripod on a golf bag cart?

Rick A
29-Jul-2012, 05:03
I have one of the Induro straps.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=induro+tripod+strap&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

jp
2-Aug-2012, 08:48
I tend to collect shoulder straps from old luggage. Often a thrift store or resale shop will have decent quality luggage at rock bottom prices . . .<$10. When something wears out, I keep the strap. Now I have a small drawer full.

With that said: I got ahold of an old surveyor's tripod (vintage is the polite word). It is a beast in cast iron and wood. A sporting goods/hunting store had a wide selection of nylon dog collars. I bought two: One is adjusted to fit the wider top part, the other is adjusted to wrap the pointy ends, A stout luggage strap snap-clips to the D rings on the dog collars.

If that strap breaks, there are several others to replace it with.

Any help?

Another solution would be something involving 1/4" clothes line and macreme knotting.

Anyone here ever put a big wooden tripod on a golf bag cart?

Another source of quality nylon straps, especially in place of a luggage strap would be a rifle sling

Drew Bedo
7-Aug-2012, 06:20
Rifle Sling: Goy it. How does that work for a DSLR or camera bag?

What about the Golf-Bag Cart idea—anyone ever do that?