PDA

View Full Version : Blue dye on Tmax film

wiggywag
10-Jul-2012, 09:05
I developed my very first 8x10" Tmax 400 film in Xtol straight yesterday. It was done in a Jobo processor. All 5 negs came out great except the first one, it had some blue dye on it (see pic) I have never experienced this with Tmax film before, done a lot 4x5". I used HCA as usual.
76995Do anybody know what this is?

Drew Wiley
10-Jul-2012, 09:23
You've got residual anti-halation dye left over from an inadequate pre-rinse; or perhaps the
drum you used did not allow sufficient water on the back of the sheet. It should come off
with extended washing afterwards, however.

wiggywag
10-Jul-2012, 10:30
Thanks Drew. Will try washing it out. Maybe I should increase amount of HCA in the future, I used only 500ml for 5 8x10" sheets.

Leigh
10-Jul-2012, 12:31
Anti-halation dye normally comes off in the first liquid, whether that be developer or pre-soak.

Most likely some portion of the back of the film was in contact with the inside wall of the drum,
preventing liquid from getting to that area, so the dye was never wet and did not dissolve.

A simple wash should clear it. No HCA needed since presumably all the hypo is long gone.

- Leigh

wiggywag
11-Jul-2012, 01:48
Leigh, your right. I remembered one of the sheets was stuck to the side when unloading the drum.