PDA

View Full Version : Removing adhesive from Sinar bubble level mount

Kanichiro
7-Jul-2012, 07:35
The bubble levels on my Sinar F2 have dried out. I purchased replacements, but they do not include the mounts. One vial popped off easily, but the other two refuse to budge. Not wanting to break the mounts, I tried WD40 which works well with simple glue, but failed to dissolve this adhesive.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the adhesive from these mounts so that I can glue on my new bubble level vials?

Thanks in advanced!

Louis Pacilla
7-Jul-2012, 07:44
I would try Lighter fluid. It should break down the glue without damaging the camera in any way. I use this to break down all types of glues and stick things. Works great and no collateral damage.

Bob Salomon
7-Jul-2012, 08:04
Try Goo Gone. Available at hardware stores.

David A. Goldfarb
7-Jul-2012, 09:33
You purchased them from Sinar without the mounts? When I've purchased them for my Sinar P, they've come with the mounts.

That said, I'd go with the recommendation of lighter fluid or straight naphtha (which is what lighter fluid is mainly).

Kanichiro
7-Jul-2012, 12:48
I did not purchase them from Sinar. Actually, I bought them off the auction site. Sinar charges substantially more than what I paid, it's just mine didn't come with mounts.

I will give everyone's suggestion a try. One is bound to work.

Thanks everyone!

John Koehrer
7-Jul-2012, 12:51
Try Goo Gone. Available at hardware stores.
Goo Gone works very well but it isn't instant in a case like this. You apply it , let it soak and repeat it will take several applications.

Patience is your friend.

David A. Goldfarb
7-Jul-2012, 13:17
Yes, they're astonishingly expensive from Sinar, but if they come from Sinar, they'll be mounted and ready to install. It's a bit like buying an old Rolls Royce--when you need factory parts, the factory still thinks of it as a $12,000 camera.

Leigh
7-Jul-2012, 14:59
I did not purchase them from Sinar. Actually, I bought them off the auction site.
Are they the correct sensitivity?

Levels are available in many different sensitivities, at a wide range of prices depending on quality and accuracy.

You get what you pay for in this world. That law has never changed, and never will.

If you want cheap, why did you buy a Sinar in the first place?

- Leigh

John Koehrer
8-Jul-2012, 18:33
Are they the correct sensitivity?

Levels are available in many different sensitivities, at a wide range of prices depending on quality and accuracy.

You get what you pay for in this world. That law has never changed, and never will.

If you want cheap, why did you buy a Sinar in the first place?

- Leigh

The first two sentences were helpful. The last two are completely unnecessary.

Kanichiro
10-Jul-2012, 05:32
I've found that Goo Gone should absolutely not be used on Sinar items. The bubble mounts dissolved like an Alka Seltzer in a glass.

I have a call to Sinar Bron scheduled to order replacements.

Thank you all for you suggestions, they were all worth a try.

Bob Salomon
10-Jul-2012, 05:56
The first two sentences were helpful. The last two are completely unnecessary.

No they are not. They are right to the point!

AnselAdamsX
11-Jul-2012, 02:47
I thought the auction site ones were expensive :eek: I think I found their source at Geier & Bluhm PN 3-0507. In small quantities they are 1.50 a piece. I decided to go with the DIY drill and fill approach though.

tih
11-Jul-2012, 12:08
No they are not. They are right to the point!

I beg to differ. I just bought a Sinar P, and I'm not a professional photographer, and I definitely can't afford to buy a new Sinar camera. I got this one cheap, and it needs some work, and some spare parts (like bubble levels). I'm going to do the overhaul myself, and I'll use cheap bubble levels that I'll improvise the fastenings for - because there's no way I can afford to send this P back to Sinar for a proper service. The end result will be that I can enjoy a functional Sinar P, at very little expense. To me, that's a heck of a lot better than just knowing that they are available to people with a lot more money than I have.

-tih

Kanichiro
13-Jul-2012, 12:36
I beg to differ. I just bought a Sinar P, and I'm not a professional photographer, and I definitely can't afford to buy a new Sinar camera. I got this one cheap, and it needs some work, and some spare parts (like bubble levels). I'm going to do the overhaul myself, and I'll use cheap bubble levels that I'll improvise the fastenings for - because there's no way I can afford to send this P back to Sinar for a proper service. The end result will be that I can enjoy a functional Sinar P, at very little expense. To me, that's a heck of a lot better than just knowing that they are available to people with a lot more money than I have.

-tih

I agree with your post. I purchased my F2 for little more than I paid for my complete Crown Graphic kit, and I'm having the time of my life using this wonderful camera.

As for the rude comment, if you don't care for my post, then just move on another thread. I certainly not have to supply my financials to anyone for their approval before I purchase something.

Louis Pacilla
13-Jul-2012, 16:40
Kanichiro
"I've found that Goo Gone should absolutely not be used on Sinar items. The bubble mounts dissolved like an Alka Seltzer in a glass.

I have a call to Sinar Bron scheduled to order replacements.

Thank you all for you suggestions, they were all worth a try. "

I Repeat.Naphatha
I would try Lighter fluid. It should break down the glue without damaging the camera in any way. I use this to break down all types of glues and stick things. Works great and no collateral damage.

Luis-F-S
17-May-2014, 14:18
So now that Sinar no longer stocks parts, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get them and if the the Chinese ones on the auction site are the only ones available, did anyone figure out how to remove the glue and re-glue them? Thanks, L

AnselAdamsX
18-May-2014, 07:33
I've managed to knock some off by force and replace them with Geier & Bluhm PN 3-0507. I glued them back on with acrylic glue.

Richard Wasserman
18-May-2014, 08:13
Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works has bubble levels—http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/services.html