PDA

View Full Version : Galvin with Copal 0

John R
9-Feb-2004, 11:53
I'm looking for a solution to the mounting of a Copal 0 on a Galvin recessed lensboard. I find that the layout of the controls on the Copal can just barely be operated in the available limited space of the board recess. The big problem is that there is no way to attach a PC cord to the PC terminal, simply no room no matter how the shutter is oriented. Anyone know of any solutions? I can't be the only person that has run into this.

steve simmons
9-Feb-2004, 11:58
I'm looking for a solution to the mounting of a Copal 0 on a Galvin recessed lensboard. I find that the layout of the controls on the Copal can just barely be operated in the available limited space of the board recess. The big problem is that there is no way to attach a PC cord to the PC terminal, simply no room no matter how the shutter is oriented. Anyone know of any solutions? I can't be the only person that has run into this.

--John R, 2004-02-09 10:53 AM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There are right angle cable release adapters.

steve simmons

John R
9-Feb-2004, 18:12
Steve,

I'm speaking of the PC connection, not the shutter release. I am familiar with angled adapters for a shutter release but I have never seen a low profile PC connector. Thanks.

Ralph Barker
9-Feb-2004, 22:30
Sounds like the cable on your sync cord comes straight out of (in line with) the PC connector, John. Look for one that has a right-angle connection. All of mine for studio strobes are made that way. If you can't find what you need locally, try Paramount Sync Cords (http://www.paramountcords.com/)

Gem Singer
10-Feb-2004, 07:26
Hi John,

All of the wide angle lenses I have owned, that are mounted in Copal 0 shutters, have PC connectors that face forward, allowing them to be used in recessed lensboards. This includes the newer type all black Copal 0's, as well as the older type silver ring Copal 0's. This is the way they came from the manufacturer.

However, the lenses that are not wide angle designs are mounted in Copal 0 shutters that have the PC connector facing upwards. Perhaps you can change your shutter to a wide angle type that has the PC connector facing forward. Otherwise, you may need to use a flat lensboard if you want to use a PC cord.

John R
10-Feb-2004, 08:59
Eugene,

Yes, this is what I need a connector that is perpendicular to the back of the shutter. This Copal 0 I have is on a Schneider SA 65 f5.6 and it has a vertical PC connector unlike what you are talking about. Apparently the black Copal 0 shutter on this lens was not marketed for use with a small recessed board. I think I should be able to get this PC connector changed to the right angle type you have discussed. Who would be a good source for working on Copals, anybody have a good lead?

Thanks much Eugene for the heads up on the "O"..........!

Gem Singer
10-Feb-2004, 09:27
Hello again, John,

Try skgrimes.com. They may be able to help you.

John R
10-Feb-2004, 17:46
Thanks for your post Eugene............I already had SK Grimes in my resources, I just wasn't aware he worked on Copal's. I'll call him and discuss the conversion..