PDA

View Full Version : Schneider 65mm f5.6

John R
9-Feb-2004, 10:44
What's the general consensus on the Schneider SA 65mm 5.6 lens?

I was at a used show looking for a Rodenstock 75 4.5 and came across this Schneider and it was in mint shape and the price was very good so I went ahead and purchased it blindly figuring I can always resell it. I would like to read some feedback from those of you that may have experience with this particular lens.

Thank You..........

steve simmons
9-Feb-2004, 11:08
What's the general consensus on the Schneider SA 65mm 5.6 lens? I was at a used show looking for a Rodenstock 75 4.5 and came across this Schneider and it was in mint shape and the price was very good so I went ahead and purchased it blindly figuring I can always resell it. I would like to read some feedback from those of you that may have experience with this particular lens.

Thank You..........

--John R, 2004-02-09 09:44 AM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Most 65mm lenses have limited coverage. They will cover 4x5 but w/o much movement. This lens has an image circle of 170mm.

View Camera magazine has run articles on most of the lenses you will find out there. We've put all of our lens articles on a CD.

steve simmons www.viewcamera.com

John R
9-Feb-2004, 11:45
How much more in the way of movements could I realize if I went with the 75, I don't think it would it be very significant on 4x5. I haven't mounted this 65 I purchased on my Arca yet but I figured movements will be very slight, how about with the 75 in comparison? Would the 75 be more utilitarian in small rooms, in other words would I realize much better control with it over the 65?

Bob Salomon
9-Feb-2004, 11:52
The 75mm Graandagon N 4.5 has an image circle of 195mm. On 4x5 that allows 29mm of rise and 25mm of shift in the horizontal position.

The 65mm 4.5 Grandagon N has a 170mm image circle. That allows for 12mm of rise and 10mm of shift.

So the 75mm has quite a bit more coverag.

Ted Harris
9-Feb-2004, 11:59
In addition to the coverages differences inherent to the focal length of the lens consider bellows extension/compression. I have not used a 65mm lens for several years but my memory is that the bellows compression was rather severe unless I switched ot a bag bellows. As an example I can use my 75 mm SA f5.6 on my Horseman FA without bellows compression problems further limiting movements.

steve simmons
9-Feb-2004, 12:00
I never owned or used a 65 because of the limted coverage. I preferred the 75mm focal length.

I usually recommend using a bag bellows with anything shorter than a 90mm lens.

steve simmons

Ralph Barker
9-Feb-2004, 13:19
It's a fine lens, John. Between it and a 75mm, the choice, I think, is really a balance between the extra subject coverage of the 65mm vs. the added image circle of the 75mm. The additional image circle, however, won't do you much good if your back is already against the opposing wall. ;-) Try it for a while, and see what works for you.

Christopher Condit
9-Feb-2004, 14:34
I have and use the SA 65mm. Instant vignetting with any significant rise/fall/shift. It vignettes so quickly with front tilt/swing I basically do not use front movements. That leaves rear movements, which are mechanically restricted: even with a bag bellows, a moderately big tilt (trying to straighten out those verticals) will result in the rear element banging into the ground glass.

I still use it, straight up. It provides a super-duper wide-angle look, which I happen to like. However, if I had to do it again, I would probably select something a little less restrictive, since I can go way wide sans movements with my MF Veriwide. A 75mm, or even the SSXL 80mm (assuming it is as good as the 110mm), would be more fun. I love using movements, and am disappointed more when they are limited than by wideness of view limitations.

Bob Salomon
9-Feb-2004, 14:40
"It vignettes so quickly with front tilt/swing"

Base tilt? Optical axis tilt? Assymetricaal axis tilt?

paul owen
9-Feb-2004, 15:23
IMHO a great lens! Okay its coverage is pretty limiting when it comes to movements but with such a wide angle of view I find that I rarely need to use any movements anyway! VERY sharp and a pleasing field of view!

steve simmons
9-Feb-2004, 17:12
The movements that do not require extra coverage are back swing and tilt. Any movements on the front and shift and rise and fall on the back require a lens with excess coverage.

If you have a lens with a limited image circle any scheimpflug adjustments may have to happen in the back with the resulting shanges in the image (see the upcoming article in View Camera - March/April 04) or any basic intro book to view camera photography.

steve simmons

Christopher Condit
9-Feb-2004, 19:48
Center tilts.

steve simmons
10-Feb-2004, 07:37
Center tilts.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Any tilt movement on the front moves the image circle away from the center of the film area and requires a lens with excess coverage. Swing on the front does the same as does shift and rise ands fall front and rear. The only movements thast do not require a lens with extra coverage are the rear swing and tilt.

steve simmons

Mark Muse
14-Feb-2004, 07:47
I have and use a 65/5.6 SA multicoated on a 6 x 9 cm Ebony. I am very happy with it used for that format. But I doubt I would be happy with it for 4 x 5 because of limited coverage. Even without using movements the fall-off within the 4 x 5 frame would be apparent (I am assuming you do not have the center filter which is quite expensive).