PDA

View Full Version : Horsemann 4x5, which model? 9x12 or 10x12?

enricovic81
6-Jul-2012, 05:05

Hi guys,
I am new to this forum and to large format photography too.
But I would like to ask which model of Horsemann is the one in the pictures. I might have found a good deal, but owner still did not answer me regarding the model and especially whether it is a 9x12 or 10x12 view camera. Being the sheet films for the latter almost impossible to be found in Europe, I hope it is a 10x12.

Thanks for your patience,

Enrico Barone
enrico@tlu.ee

Armin Seeholzer
6-Jul-2012, 05:23
This is a 9x12 and also a 4x5 inch the dimensions of the camera back are the same also the outer measurements from the filmholder are similar

enricovic81
7-Jul-2012, 06:26
This is a 9x12 and also a 4x5 inch the dimensions of the camera back are the same also the outer measurements from the filmholder are similar

Thank you very much for the quick answer.
Do you think there are some possbilities to find film sheets for this view camera. It is pretty cheap and I would give it a try. So could I use it also with 6x6 or 6x9 backs?

Thanks in advance

Ed Bray
7-Jul-2012, 10:28
4x5 film and film holders are still very plentiful, look on here and there are always some 4x5 holders for sale. It looks like its got a graflock back so you could use 120 sized film backs from 6x6 up to 6x12, replacing the back or you can use the 'slide in' Toyo or Horseman type but they are usually more expensive. Horseman also made a rotating back with a smaller groundglass for 6x9, but you have to use a 6x9 sized 6x9 back (if that makes sense) as opposed to the 4x5 fit 6x9 backs which don't fit.

The main advantage of Horseman Monorail Cameras is that they take Sinar accessories so you can find lensboards and bellows relatively cheaply compared to some other makes. Downside is they tend to be heavy although superbly engineered.

enricovic81
9-Jul-2012, 06:05
4x5 film and film holders are still very plentiful, look on here and there are always some 4x5 holders for sale. It looks like its got a graflock back so you could use 120 sized film backs from 6x6 up to 6x12, replacing the back or you can use the 'slide in' Toyo or Horseman type but they are usually more expensive. Horseman also made a rotating back with a smaller groundglass for 6x9, but you have to use a 6x9 sized 6x9 back (if that makes sense) as opposed to the 4x5 fit 6x9 backs which don't fit.

The main advantage of Horseman Monorail Cameras is that they take Sinar accessories so you can find lensboards and bellows relatively cheaply compared to some other makes. Downside is they tend to be heavy although superbly engineered.

Thanks agai,

you have been really helpfull. I am influenced by some other italian forums, where they advise to take a 10x12, because it is almost impossible to find 9x12 films in Europe at least - I live in Italy currently and move between Estonia and the Netherlands too-.
So for the moment i would take this Horsemann just to get experienced with large format, and maybe just using 6x6 or 6x9, which is going not to be large format anymore of course, but I can still learn those shifts and tilts movements there, right?
If you have time to link some links where I can find sheets and also smaller backs, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Enrico

Ed Bray
9-Jul-2012, 06:52
In the UK

Cheapest place for new 4x5 film backs is WalkerCameras.com @ £27.60 including VAT
Cheapest place for used 4x5 film holders is PeterWalnes.com @ £25 including VAT for 5
Cheapest place for 6x9 & 6x7 roll film backs is usually ffordes.co.uk but they don't have any 6x9 backs at the moment.

4x5 Film can be picked up from:

Ag-photographic.co.uk
firstcall-photographic.co.uk
silverprint.co.uk
freestylephoto.biz (US)
ebay cheap film from China

Hope this helps?