PDA

View Full Version : How does this heat change your photography?

Frank Petronio
4-Jul-2012, 19:53
What coping methods are you using beyond air conditioning and beer?

What about water, isn't it getting too hot for film developing?

I'd like to mention global warming but I'd hate to get rebanned or demerited for talking about politics. Perhaps we could just discuss calving ice masses, shrinking glaciers, volcanic activity, internal combustion, and Artic property values? But don't mention anything about Global Warming because politics has nothing to do with photography;-p

Corran
4-Jul-2012, 19:58
In the summer my water comes out of the tap right at 75 degrees F, which is my standard temp for T-Max RS at 1:9 for T-Max 100, so it works out well for me :)

Frank Petronio
4-Jul-2012, 20:08
Jeez it's 80 here already

David R Munson
4-Jul-2012, 20:15
Today I went out with the half-frame (35mm half frame!) because I didn't want to carry any more than that. I plan to develop film again some time this fall.

I just moved back to Chicago from the tropics in southern Taiwan, and I'm sweating like mad all the same.

Jerry Bodine
4-Jul-2012, 21:21
What heat? ... today's high was 67F, windows open all night for good night's sleep, house was 63F for 6am flag hanging (definitely not political IMO), sunny, blue sky, slight breeze, puffy white clouds all day... gorgeous! No way was I gonna be in the darkroom. Plenty of cool dark days for that.

Vaughn
4-Jul-2012, 22:31
Tap water here taps out at 70F later in the summer...lower to mid 50's in the winter.

Just got back from watching the city's fireworks from my back porch. From a barge in the Bay, I believe. I am a good distance away, but close enough to enjoy how the whole show was put on and orchestrated (about 1.3 miles away). They do amazing things with explosives. More Gandalf-like every year!

CantikFotos
5-Jul-2012, 05:02
Sweat on the model's skin.........boobs get too shiny.

welly
5-Jul-2012, 05:18
Heat? You're joking. It's winter down here. They never told me about that when I moved to Australia. I came here for warm sandy beaches and cocktails with little straw hats.

Jim Jones
5-Jul-2012, 06:03
Water, chemicals, tanks, and trays stored in my darkroom rarely top 85 degrees F. Adjusting developing time works well enough for B&W on those warm days. Hauling cameras around in the midday sun is something else, though.

BrianShaw
5-Jul-2012, 06:39
Sweat on the model's skin.........boobs get too shiny.

If that is a problem, maybe you should think about photographing men. :D

E. von Hoegh
5-Jul-2012, 06:50

I'd like to mention global warming but I'd hate to get rebanned or demerited for talking about politics. Perhaps we could just discuss calving ice masses, shrinking glaciers, volcanic activity, internal combustion, and Artic property values? But don't mention anything about Global Warming because politics has nothing to do with photography;-p

I get more small-format photos of pretty young ladies in skimpy outfits.

BrianShaw
5-Jul-2012, 06:56
Perhaps, but they may have sweaty and shiny boobs. Why waste the film?

CantikFotos
5-Jul-2012, 07:41
If that is a problem, maybe you should think about photographing men. :D

I'd rather struggle with sweaty boobs. It's a sacrifice, but it's all for Art. ;)

Frank Petronio
5-Jul-2012, 07:45
Most of the time sweat can look good on healthy people. Much better than the goosebumps you see a lot of hacks have in their photos.

E. von Hoegh
5-Jul-2012, 07:50
Perhaps, but they may have sweaty and shiny boobs. Why waste the film?

It doesn't get that hot here that often. When it does, I employ my kerchief.

E. von Hoegh
5-Jul-2012, 07:51
Most of the time sweat can look good on healthy people. Much better than the goosebumps you see a lot of hacks have in their photos.

I'll take the healthy sweat over razor rash, cellulite, and stretch marks.

E. von Hoegh
5-Jul-2012, 07:52
I'd rather struggle with sweaty boobs. It's a sacrifice, but it's all for Art. ;)

If you sprinkle sand on them they are easier to grab hold of.

Frank Petronio
5-Jul-2012, 08:13

That's all I am going to show of her but, "Yes they're real.... and they're marvelous!"

Drew Wiley
5-Jul-2012, 08:39
Well it has been warmer here too. So I only ran my office heater on third power Tues, but
have it on 2/3 at the moment. Coat and pullover cap for the fireworks last nite, down
at the marina two blocks from here. Have two jackets in the truck for my noon nap, one
to keep my legs warm. My darkroom is well insulated, however, so didn't even need to use the heater yesterday! Life is tough here on the coast.

David Carson
5-Jul-2012, 08:51
I cope with our 102 F heat and 80 degree dewpoint by surfing Craigslist for camera gear and staring forlornly at my tripod.

Shawn Dougherty
5-Jul-2012, 09:57
It changes my sleep schedule! I try to develop film in the very early morning. I cool my distilled water stop and fixer in the freezer... run the ac... the same for printing but I do less printing in the summer anyway.

I'm in a holding pattern for mounting prints right now, I just can't bring myself to turn on the heat press. I live in a very small bungalow and having that thing on for any length of time when it's this hot is not practical.

As far as shooting it doesn't have much of an effect on my. Outdoors, I like to photograph in the early to mid morning or later afternoon to early evening. Indoors, well, as long as there is shade or AC it doesn't much matter.

bigdog
5-Jul-2012, 16:18

In my old house, the water was fairly consistent. I suppose there was a lot of underground transit before it got to the house. Here at the new place in the 'burbs', it varies a lot with the seasons. I go to the Ilford wash method for film, using water that's stored in the darkroom and stays well within tolerances. The tap water does get up into the 80s here all summer; and down to the 50s for a bit in the winter.

I have thought about building a "chiller" for print washing, using a coil that the water could run through and temper a bit, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I would not have a darkroom without sufficient heating and air conditioning.

jb7
5-Jul-2012, 17:07
97F at JFK this afternoon. Luckily, I've brought a binocular viewer, dying of heat stroke under a horse blanket would be an embarrassingly antique way to go...

John Koehrer
6-Jul-2012, 15:31

ALL of the politicians are calling it "Climate Change" now.

Jim Michael
6-Jul-2012, 15:38
Learn to differentiate between weather and climate. Let the adiabatic lapse rate be with you.

evan clarke
6-Jul-2012, 16:13
It was 103 here today but my wayer is 68 deg. (107 yesterday)..

Jody_S
6-Jul-2012, 17:51

Beer and shade? I find I've been shooting a lot of forest scenes these last couple of weeks. I'm about to try my first 8x10 portraits, soon as my new film holders get here, I'm thinking between 7:30 and 8:45 should be about right. I'm setting up on the street in between two bars with outdoor terraces.

Bill_1856
6-Jul-2012, 18:54
WHAT heat?
Bill (Sarasota, FL)

John Kasaian
6-Jul-2012, 20:13
I schedule around a mid-day siesta. The morning light is better anyway!

Keith Fleming
6-Jul-2012, 21:07
I have to echo the earlier comments from Jerry Bodine in Seattle: What heat? It was bright and sunny here on the Olympic Penninsula today, and the temperature was about 66 degrees. The evening news on Channel 4 in Seattle led off with the statement that the heat has arrived, and when would Seattle reach 80. I sure am glad I retired and moved out here from Virginia! And I'm wearing a fleece shirt as I write this in our basement.

Keith

Jim Jones
7-Jul-2012, 08:18
I've had to quit keeping a 4x5 in the trunk of the car due to the heat. Already one shutter quit, perhaps to migrating lubricant.

evan clarke
7-Jul-2012, 17:18

There's no global warming, just ask dubya...

uphereinmytree
7-Jul-2012, 18:21
I was in Baltimore today and it was 104F I used a digital camera to grab some snaps of friends at the pool. I've been shooting up until 10-11 in the morning and then running and hiding in the AC

uphereinmytree
7-Jul-2012, 18:23
Also, I had to remove the BosScreen from my zone VI field camera and get a lighter weight darkcloth

John Kasaian
7-Jul-2012, 21:01
Well, the heat kept me from trying out my McIntosh magic lantern lens today (I'd planned a portrait session with my daughter, location---a vineyard, a hot vineyard:( )

Kodachrome25
8-Jul-2012, 15:14
I fixed this years ago by moving to my current locale at 8,000 feet in the Rockies...

Jim Andrada
8-Jul-2012, 20:56
Heat isn't so bad this year - don't think we've had any days over 110 so far. Water pipes are almost 12 inches underground and I think the cold water was around 85 degrees lately. Putting the bottle of developer in a bowl of ice until it's a degree or so below 68 seems to work OK.

trad.dig.experience
13-Jul-2012, 01:45
Twilight Zone: Heat was frozen. Ice was fire. folks slumbered in nightmare, and ...

... woke up to reality. Rod Serling was an invented writer.

E. von Hoegh
13-Jul-2012, 08:38
26 sates declared drought disaster areas. Lots of photography out there, sad to say.

Eric Rose
13-Jul-2012, 10:21
In the summer my darkroom is a perfect 68F. Tap water comes out at about the same temp.

Andrew O'Neill
13-Jul-2012, 11:13
Carbon transfer printing does not like a hot environment so when it is, I work in the wee hours of the morning with the door open. I'm good until the sun creeps around to the back of the house. When I lived in Japan, I used one of those air conditioners that went in the window. Lots of ice to keep the water temp down too. Water straight from the tap was 30C!! Many times I had to work in just a pair of shorts due to excessive sweating.

Drew Wiley
13-Jul-2012, 12:06
Everything is backwards here. The normal summer heat cell has shifted to the SW and inland Calif. where temps over 100 are normal, but without the misery of humidity. But that
means the marine layer gets sucked thru here. We call it our natural summer coastal air conditioning. So it will be wonderfully drippy fog and enveloping light in the redwoods tomorrow. Nice day for the 8x10.

Colin Graham
13-Jul-2012, 13:04
When I'm someplace hot, I carry more water, eat a light breakfast, take frequent breaks. Less caffeine in the summer also helps- I love strong coffee but it makes me sweat like a fiend later on. Gradual conditioning is critical for me; I stick to short outings until I know how the heat will effect me. I like to make a simple swamp cooler out of a damp rag and drape it under my hat like a legionnaire, re-wetting it as needed with drinking water.

I had heat exhaustion once and now seem to be more susceptible to it. It's blissfully cool where I live now but I grew up in North Carolina and Texas, so I can empathize with those enduring the record temps.

Noah A
13-Jul-2012, 19:17
Suck it up, it's only a little heat.

I try to schedule my trips to really hot cities during the time when the weather is best, but it doesn't always work. I'm in Cairo right now, and it's a bit on the warm side ;). But not too bad really. At least it's a dry heat.

I shoot in the early morning and late afternoon anyway, when the heat isn't at its worst. And as others have said, drink plenty of water, eat light, dress appropriately and shooting in the heat just isn't a big deal.