PDA

View Full Version : Wollensak Velostigmat Series II Problem

Fotoguy20d
2-Jul-2012, 12:18
Its perhaps a generic problem but in this case it's a 12" Series II. Someone removed the rear glass from its barrel and then reinstalled it backwards. There must be a bit of a taper to the glass because it seems to be stuck in the barrel opening (the outer edge) and the threaded in ring isn't even contacting the glass.

I'm afraid of chipping it if I push hard enough. If I try heat I'm worried about either cracking the glass or melting the balsam. Any thoughts? The eBay seller is offering me a no-lose deal. I can return it for a refund including shipping, or I can try to extract it and if it chips, then return it for a full refund. I'd rather not ruin it since its in otherwise nice shape so I'm inclined towards the former unless someone has a good idea.

Thanks,
Dan

Louis Pacilla
2-Jul-2012, 12:32
Hey Dan, try wetting the cell and barrel that should release the coating on the outer rear group which can tack to the inner barrel. The water will release the contact between the two and it should pop out. Should not be real difficult to take care of.

OH yea! Of courser you want to remove the rear barrel from the shutter before wetting.

BTW- It will have no ill effect on ANYTHING. Just dry everything off before reassembly.

Jon Shiu
2-Jul-2012, 12:35
Perhaps soak it in some soapy water before pushing it out.

Jon

Fotoguy20d
2-Jul-2012, 13:20
Louis/Jon,

Water won't harm the balsam? What coating is on the glass? It looks to be uncoated, and there's no Wocoat mark (and it's too old, I think).

Thanks,
Dan

lenser
2-Jul-2012, 13:37
Do you think using a hair dryer would be too hot for the balsam? I'm thinking place a soft towel down for the glass to drop onto, then set the rear barrel on the towel and go to work with the hair dryer moving it around the sides of the barrel and keeping it off the glass as much as possible. Maybe even covering the glass with something insulating which would also serve to protect it when you give it an occasional downward push as the metal expands.

Louis Pacilla
2-Jul-2012, 14:49
Louis/Jon,

Water won't harm the balsam? What coating is on the glass? It looks to be uncoated, and there's no Wocoat mark (and it's too old, I think).

Thanks,
Dan

Hey Dan,

OH yea! Of courser you want to remove the rear barrel from the shutter before wetting.

BTW- It will have no ill effect on ANYTHING. Just dry everything off before reassembly.