PDA

View Full Version : Grafmatic Holder-Sheet Film Numbering

psychoanalyst
2-Jul-2012, 05:04
Hello,

I recently acquired the 45 Grafmatic holder and absolutely love it.

But the issue I am facing is I don't see any film number printing onto my negatives as is suggested in the manual. I followed all the load and shoot instructions. All six of my negs came out fine, so I am sure I did not screw up there.

Could grafmatic users please post images of what exactly the film number imprinting looks like?

I would appreciate your help in solving this problem.

Thanks!

Avi

David A. Goldfarb
2-Jul-2012, 05:12
Check to see if there is a thin metal wheel near the handle end of the holder with numbers on it. It is outside the darkslide, so you should see it even if the holder is loaded and the darkslide is in the inserted position. I like the numbers, but many people remove the wheel, because they don't want the frame numbers in the border. For the frame numbers to appear, there needs to be a light area in the image along that edge of the frame.

Blair Ware
2-Jul-2012, 05:59
I love my Grafmatics, but am not a big fan of the numbers which take up about 1/4" of the negative; I removed the wheels on most on them and as David mentions, even with the wheels intact you sometimes can't see the number on the negative.

--Blair

Bill Burk
2-Jul-2012, 06:34
When I read Blair Ware's post too quickly I thought "takes up a quarter of the negative" - which about sums it up.

http://www.beefalobill.com/images/_MG_7229.JPG

In my vertical compositions, it very often interferes with the picture. So I am not thrilled with it either, except that it provides some reassurance that the notes you wrote at the scene match up to the picture you are printing... So for the identification it provides, I leave it in.

But I agree with Blair that you are better off without it.

E. von Hoegh
2-Jul-2012, 06:44
Check to see if there is a thin metal wheel near the handle end of the holder with numbers on it. It is outside the darkslide, so you should see it even if the holder is loaded and the darkslide is in the inserted position. I like the numbers, but many people remove the wheel, because they don't want the frame numbers in the border. For the frame numbers to appear, there needs to be a light area in the image along that edge of the frame.

Yes, I removed the wheel from mine and put it in a safe place, just in case I decide I need it sometime.

TheDeardorffGuy
2-Jul-2012, 07:50
Wow, I forgot I removed them too. I do not miss them.

psychoanalyst
2-Jul-2012, 11:29
When I read Blair Ware's post too quickly I thought "takes up a quarter of the negative" - which about sums it up.

http://www.beefalobill.com/images/_MG_7229.JPG

In my vertical compositions, it very often interferes with the picture. So I am not thrilled with it either, except that it provides some reassurance that the notes you wrote at the scene match up to the picture you are printing... So for the identification it provides, I leave it in.

But I agree with Blair that you are better off without it.

Bill...where is the film notch relative to the film #?

For me...its not too bad for what you get (numbering) in return...I can crop the edge out (since I scan anyway) and live with the rest. I definitely have the number wheel on my holder and the holder itself function without any issues...

I need to figure this out.

Thanks.

Avi

Bill Burk
2-Jul-2012, 13:11
Notch is kitty-corner from the wheel (which you can see is slightly below center) - notch would be upper-right.

In some cases when the film is not seated completely in the septum, the film won't reach back to the wheel.

The wheel that marks the film is magnetically-driven by the wheel that you can set with your thumb. It can be seen in the film gate even when the dark slide is in all the way because it is "outside" the dark chamber.

denverjims
3-Jul-2012, 21:36
I too use them and like them a lot. Two thoughts:

1. If you remove wheel, you can keep track of sheets in developing (I hand dev in tank) by trimming, slightly, corner edges as you remove each sheet from holder. No cuts for sheet 1; edge nearest code notches for 2; etc around each corner.

2. Like most I bought used and most had a lot of dust caught in felt light traps. Get maint. manual (several sources online) and learn how to take apart to clean. Will save you a lot of grief. Best of luck.

psychoanalyst
4-Jul-2012, 05:46
Notch is kitty-corner from the wheel (which you can see is slightly below center) - notch would be upper-right.

In some cases when the film is not seated completely in the septum, the film won't reach back to the wheel.

The wheel that marks the film is magnetically-driven by the wheel that you can set with your thumb. It can be seen in the film gate even when the dark slide is in all the way because it is "outside" the dark chamber.

Hi Bill,

Thanks....yes....I too have a feeling that the negative may not have been all the way in....then again, if that was the case, the edges might have gone unexposed...I don't see evidence for that in my film.

Anyways...I am going to try again with a different film this time.....I really would like those numbers to show up....that way I have to be less careful with maintaining the order of the sheets.

Avi

denverjims
4-Jul-2012, 12:25
Hi Bill,

Thanks....yes....I too have a feeling that the negative may not have been all the way in....

Avi

It's a little tricky to get just the right friction but I also had some issues with some of the septums allowing the film sheet to move too loosely & shifting away from the number edge. Just kept at it with my fingers to pinch each septum's edge until a test piece of film would be held properly. Tried pliers but they bent the septum edge too much. Maybe someone with better technique could do better with them.