PDA

View Full Version : Epson Perfection 2450 Photo Scanner--Free

wskmosaic
28-Jun-2012, 12:11
I have this scanner, which I got as a pay-it-forward here. It is not fully functional but, I think, can be repaired. I'd like to pass it on to somebody who can use it and might know how to fix it or get it fixed. It scans documents and photos ok from the flatbed. But I am unable to scan negatives. Something in the sensor, I think. but what do I know? It has been a real workhorse.

I have the original software and all the negative masks, for 4X5, 2 1/4, 35mm and slides.

If anybody would like to tinker with it or knows how to make it useful, just ask for it. I'll even pay the shipping, and my benefactor did for me. And neither he nor I knew if it would work.

US only.

First come first served.

Warren

Jim Jones
28-Jun-2012, 16:38
The 2450 uses a light source in the lid for film and transparancies. This is connected through a connector on the back of the scanner. Makie sure the light source lights when set up to scan a negative or transparancy. Also, remember to remove the platen from the lid. I've forgotten to do that too many times.

Keith Pitman
28-Jun-2012, 17:57
I have one of those scanners. You need to use the negative carriers to scan film. Apparently the carrier shape is read by the scanner in some way. I made my own for 4x10 negatives.

wskmosaic
1-Jul-2012, 17:55
The 2450 uses a light source in the lid for film and transparancies. This is connected through a connector on the back of the scanner. Makie sure the light source lights when set up to scan a negative or transparancy. Also, remember to remove the platen from the lid. I've forgotten to do that too many times.

I have used this scanner for years on an older computer with Windows XP. I have recently had a new computer built for me, because I could not buy a new computer with XP-32bit. This was specifically so I could use my old 2450 scanner on it. I can scan documents, but each time I try to scan a netgative, I get a message that says: Cannot find film. The lid is connected to the scanner by its pigtail; the white board has been removed; Twain comes up; I select the proper setting for negatives; I mount the negative in the proper holder and place it properly and order a scan; the light source in the lid comes on; the sensor moves down the length of the negative, and I get a message that says: Cannot find film. It is apparently not a sofware problem.

Is this a familiar problem? Does it seem to be a hardware problem? Would it be in the scanner, or is something wrsong with my new computer? Or, if you can't help me with this, do you know of anybody who might? If I can get it to work, I'd just as soon keep it forever.

tnx
Warren

Jim Jones
1-Jul-2012, 18:32
Sorry, I'd upgraded to a computer with Windows 7 (YUK!) before retiring the 2450. My only complaint with the 2450 was some fall-off on the edges when copying artwork. The new 700 isn't free of that, either.

Kesselring98
27-Jan-2013, 12:01
did you ever find a home or use for this scanner?

Nigels
13-Feb-2013, 04:40
I had a 2450 and had the occasional problem of the scanner not seeing the whole of my 6x9 Velvias. I think this may have been a software issue with the contrast of the film. Whatever it was I ditched the Epson software and installed Vuescan and had no futher problems. When I upgraded to a new PC with Win 7 64 bit Vuescan was there again with drivers to ensure the old (very old) 2450 would continue to function.
I had the 2450 for many years and I think the age got to it and it started banding so I have now upgraded to the V700 but I am still using Vuescan.