PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Linhof TK on tripod

J Maxwell
28-Jun-2012, 10:02
Does anyone regularly carry their 4x5 w/ lens on their tripod? I've been detaching my TK, bellows, and lens, and putting everything back in the backpack to move from one location to another while shooting. The reason being my worry that my TK might fall off the tripod (Feisol CT 3441S with Bogen 3047 pan/tilt head). But folding up and then constantly refolding the TK, while easy, is a bit of a PITA. Are my concerns about the ability of the tripod / head to hold the TK justified? Anybody have any experience with a disaster? Thanks!

chuck94022
28-Jun-2012, 10:11
If my next spot is near, and footing is good, I don't detach. If my next spot is a hike or footing is dicey I pack up. I don't worry about the head, I worry about tripping.

E. von Hoegh
28-Jun-2012, 11:11
I'll leave a camera on the tripod, if, as has been mentioned, footing is solid and there are no branches to damage the camera. I use a Linhof STIV and a Deardorff V8. The risk of damaging the camera is much greater on the tripod. When I do leave the camera on, I wrap it with the darkcloth.

Frank Petronio
28-Jun-2012, 11:15
I try to compress the bellows to present less fragile area. I also use a really solid attachment, now a RRS plate but formerly a Linhof head with an oversized screw. And I check that every few minutes out of habit. A bag over the camera is great for dust protection all of the time.

mortensen
28-Jun-2012, 11:34
... I occasionally carry my TK mounted on my Feisol 3371 with a manfrotto 410 head. So far no troubles. But unless I'm only walking less than, say, 100 meters, I always pack it up. Safer for the lenses as well.

Bob Salomon
28-Jun-2012, 11:36
Do you sling it over your shoulder while walking or carry it under your arm?
I would fell most comfortable with the feet of the tripod behind me and the camera in front of me so I see what it might hit-before it hits it.
With the camera over your shoulder behind you all kinds of unpleasent things could happen.

Brian Ellis
28-Jun-2012, 13:16
I carried mine that way (over the shoulder), for the same reason you're thinking of doing it.

J Maxwell
28-Jun-2012, 14:07
Thanks ALL for the great responses. I usually do as Bob S. has described, with the tripod underarm, the camera in front balanced in my right hand.
I guess my major worry has always been the dinky 3/4" screw that holds the tripod head in place. Thinking of Murphy's law makes me dread the day when the screw snaps and the whole thing comes tumbling down.
I normally pack everything up if I'm hiking off more then 150m, but always take the lens off. Too bad the TK isn't as compact when kept unfolded and ready for action.
It is good to hear that no one has ever had the camera break off the tripod!
Thanks again!

Nathan Potter
28-Jun-2012, 14:18
I use a TK a lot but mostly with a backpack if I need to hike much more than about 100 meters. I'll leave it on the tripod all setup with lens and cable release and transport the assembly around a local area where there are multiple interesting shots. Usually I'll fold in the legs and carry the tripod with TK upright or leaning against my shoulder.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

E. von Hoegh
28-Jun-2012, 14:19
Thanks ALL for the great responses. I usually do as Bob S. has described, with the tripod underarm, the camera in front balanced in my right hand.
I guess my major worry has always been the dinky 3/4" screw that holds the tripod head in place. Thinking of Murphy's law makes me dread the day when the screw snaps and the whole thing comes tumbling down.
I normally pack everything up if I'm hiking off more then 150m, but always take the lens off. Too bad the TK isn't as compact when kept unfolded and ready for action.
Thanks again!

Ummmm. A 3/4" screw is far from "dinky". If perchance you mean 1/4", get a grade 8 screw and rest secure - the head or tripod will fail before the screw does.

TheDeardorffGuy
28-Jun-2012, 15:22
I carry my Deardorff 4x5 special on my tripod over my shoulder all the time. I've never hurt it yet. I've hurt several people either by stabbing them with the legs or knocking someone in the head with the camera. Held the focus for the next shot. what a camera!! Seriously I've carried my 4x5 through my V11 on my shoulder. Just be carefull. Thats all it takes.
and a grade 8 screw!! Thanks for that post E. von hoegh

Bob Salomon
28-Jun-2012, 15:37
Thanks again!
The TK has two 3/8" tripod sockets.

J Maxwell
28-Jun-2012, 17:07
Yes, sorry! Mea culpa. That's two 3/8"s.

Frank Petronio
28-Jun-2012, 18:13
Two 3/8 = 3/4

haha

Oh yes I also cradle the camera low and in front of me more often than tossing it over my shoulder. Makes it easier to get through brush and under branches, wires, factories and woods.

chuck94022
29-Jun-2012, 00:08
I would certainly not be fretting the strength of the screw. Branches, etc., damaging the camera, yes. Stripping the screw out of the base, maybe, but doubtful. The screw itself breaking? That's a stretch I think.

TheDeardorffGuy
29-Jun-2012, 10:29
The screw itself breaking? That's a stretch I think.

NOT AT ALL. If you use a Davis and Sanford tripod they used a Brass tripod screw with a locking nut. I have broken the brass screw.

I would certainly not be fretting the strength of the screw. Branches, etc., damaging the camera, yes. Stripping the screw out of the base, maybe, but doubtful. The screw itself breaking? That's a stretch I think.

Jim Andrada
2-Jul-2012, 11:18
Used to carry my 5 x 7 Linhof Kardan Bi on the Linhof head/tripod all the time. Over the shoulder, up hill, down hill, whatever, maybe up to a couple of miles. Still looks like new. Shoulder on the other hand....

Worst thing that ever happened was to bend the column lock screw a few degrees when I banged it into a rock. Still works fine.

Frankly I find it harder to carry my Mamiya RB on the tripod - I think with the prism finder and 250mm lens it weighs more than the Linhof.

8 x 10 Linhof Bi on the other hand is too much to carry more than a hundred yards or so that way.

Andreas
3-Jul-2012, 04:25
I tore out the threaded base of my Technika 13x18 (V) this way. A machinist friend of mine with golden hands installed a new one. I could probabely safely lift a truck with it now.