PDA

View Full Version : Voigtlander Portrait Euryscope Lens Series III #6

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Jun-2012, 16:38
I just wanted to show everyone my new lens that I just added to the collection. It came with the flange, a Packard shutter attached and the lens board. The glass is pristine and the serial number is 58393. Great thing is is that it has an iris that is buttery smooth. This will make a great portrait lens for the 14x17 and the Century 8A 11x14 studio camera. I could not pass this one up and oh yeah........ Eddie I did not have to leave the country to get it Har,har,har,har!! Just a little fun now nothing more. Their are many more of you that have way better collections that I ever will. This lens will be put to good use.

cdholden
27-Jun-2012, 16:42
Congrats and welcome to the club!
My 4a supposedly covers whole plate, but I've only used it on 5x7. Yours should sing on the larger formats. It's in capable hands. Have fun with it. My 12x20 is green with envy.

Erik Larsen
27-Jun-2012, 16:43
Show off! Looks nice to me
Erik

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Jun-2012, 16:48
Thanks. I have a board ready to go for the 14x17 and I'll make one for the Century 8A. It is on a 9" board now and the Century takes 10" boards. I love the 6 1/2" flange. This is my first really big lens. Comes in at just over 6 lbs. I can't wait to use it.

ghostcount
27-Jun-2012, 16:58
Congrats on the acquisition. Looking forward to see some images from it.

Tri Tran
27-Jun-2012, 19:28
It worth every penny Jim. Although a lot of pennies for this lens. Enjoy your new acquisition .

Louis Pacilla
27-Jun-2012, 19:46
Great lens Jim! I have that same combo of camera and Portrait Euryscope III #6 It will be a terrific lens for full length or group on 11x14 or 14x17.

Look forward to seeing you terrific carbons.

Peace

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Jun-2012, 20:15
Thanks I have a family to shoot with the 14x17 and this lens. Tri....... and another family!

Tim Deming
28-Jun-2012, 05:37
Great Find! I have the #3 and #5 and love them

cheers

Tim

eddie
28-Jun-2012, 06:19
and oh yeah........ Eddie I did not have to leave the country to get it Har,har,har,har!!

har har har. good find

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Jun-2012, 06:31
har har har. good find

Eddie, thanks. Glad the sense of humor is there. Hope the treasure hunt went well.

Jim Galli
29-Jun-2012, 10:05
Glad this lens found YOU! Guilty as charged. I have one and DO NOT use it nearly enough.

ghostcount
29-Jun-2012, 10:12
Glad this lens found YOU! Guilty as charged. I have one and DO NOT use it nearly enough.

Is it on the chopping block? ;)

Jim Galli
29-Jun-2012, 10:14
Is it on the chopping block? ;)

Are you upside down in your house? You'd probably need to negotiate a second mortgage :D:D:D

ghostcount
29-Jun-2012, 10:20
Are you upside down in your house? You'd probably need to negotiate a second mortgage

Not with the house but on silver. I got suckered in when it dropped 5% in March - bought some shares and it kept on sliding (http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AGQ+Interactive#symbol=agq;range=6m;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;). :eek:

Should have bet on black (oil) instead of silver. :(

Hugo Zhang
29-Jun-2012, 11:40
Randy,

You should fellow Galli's move. Carefully choosen old lenses bought cheaply are better holds than houses, silver or oil. Of course you enjoy them at the same time. :)

ghostcount
29-Jun-2012, 12:54
Hahaha... Brass lenses are a safer investment. :D

Randy,

You should fellow Galli's move. Carefully choosen old lenses bought cheaply are better holds than houses, silver or oil. Of course you enjoy them at the same time. :)

cdholden
30-Jun-2012, 06:54
Should have bet on black (oil) instead of silver. :(
I thought Wesley Snipes made it clear: "Always bet on black."

Jim Fitzgerald
30-Jun-2012, 06:57
Brass lenses usually have some black on the rings that hold the lenses together right!

Michael Clark
30-Jun-2012, 20:50
Nice lens Jim. I'll go paint my Burke and James 5x7 Black and sell to Ghostcount, (buy low and sell hi).

Mike

ghostcount
30-Jun-2012, 20:56
Nice lens Jim. I'll go paint my Burke and James 5x7 Black and sell to Ghostcount, (buy low and sell hi).

Mike

Ha!

Jim Fitzgerald
30-Jun-2012, 21:39
I forgot to mention that this fits perfectly on the front of the 14x17. Forward thinking for once when I designed this camera. 9" lens boards. Good idea. I was hoping I'd find something like this before I kick! Need to load some film and shoot the 14x17. With the show coming up may be tough to do but I'll try to post something ASAP.

Jim Graves
2-Jul-2012, 11:30
O.K. ... you need to bring that monster (and your handsomely home-made cameras) to the Redwoods ... best time is Sept-early Oct. (say 9/28-10/1) --- You and Micheal Clark can roll up together, Vaughn is always ready, I'll come up, and we'll talk Curt into coming down ... we could camp out in Humboldt Redwoods State Park and hit both Bull Creek and the Rockefeller preserve and even go over the top to The Lost Coast ... we could do a carbon-fest. Heck, we could even invite Eddie ... he doesn't know carbon, but wet-plate would be O.K. ... and they're used to exotic in Humboldt County.

Jim Fitzgerald
3-Jul-2012, 06:22
O.K. ... you need to bring that monster (and your handsomely home-made cameras) to the Redwoods ... best time is Sept-early Oct. (say 9/28-10/1) --- You and Micheal Clark can roll up together, Vaughn is always ready, I'll come up, and we'll talk Curt into coming down ... we could camp out in Humboldt Redwoods State Park and hit both Bull Creek and the Rockefeller preserve and even go over the top to The Lost Coast ... we could do a carbon-fest. Heck, we could even invite Eddie ... he doesn't know carbon, but wet-plate would be O.K. ... and they're used to exotic in Humboldt County.

Jim, I was talking to Vaughn yesterday and I am thinking of coming up there in October. I'd love to shoot some big 14x17's of the Redwoods. I forget the name of the road Vaughn told me about in Jedidiah Smith but I know where it is. You can shoot from the road. Great for ULF! Let's do it!

Steven Tribe
5-Jul-2012, 02:06
But an even better find has come on the market!

Jim Galli
5-Jul-2012, 08:09
But an even better find has come on the market!

All I can do about that one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360471097531&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123) is drool and watch the big boys come out and play.

And I am very thankful to have the ones I have.

Steven Tribe
5-Jul-2012, 08:51
Before anyone complains, anyone looking for this (and with the right bank account figures) would have found it!

MW sent me an email last night as someone had actually asked them a question about the listed Voigtländers!

So if the data - especialy as regards coverage - is not adjusted, it says something about MW.

All we need now is an 8A.
-

Hugo Zhang
30-Jan-2013, 13:40
All I can do about that one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360471097531&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123) is drool and watch the big boys come out and play.

And I am very thankful to have the ones I have.

Jim,

That lens is now listed in China for a cool 68,000RMB or $10,888 USD. Just to show you how Chinese love the lucky number 8. :)

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.4-172502113.29.NOzKq0&id=18676548583

Steven Tribe
22-Jun-2014, 15:47
Just to keep the Portrait Euryscope series III thread alive, I thought I might mention that they still appear from time to time (not ebay this time, though). My purchase to-day was the small #5!

Jac@stafford.net
22-Jun-2014, 16:11
All I can do about that one (http://www.digoliardi.net/voigtlander-7a.jpg) is drool and watch the big boys come out and play.

You had a #7 (http://www.digoliardi.net/voigtlander.jpg) to use for a while, and it was in much better condition than the above. Maybe it will sell in China for big bucks. :)

Now back to the #6 subject.

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Jun-2014, 17:03
Well I started this some time ago and with several lens purchases behind me I. Still love this lens.like all of us I need to shoot it more. I have to get back to printing now that we are settling in after the move.

Steven Tribe
23-Jul-2014, 01:02
Nice to get a large lens that has NOT been lost on the Studio floor a couple of times - and perfect glass too.

This III, no.5 is from the second series with 79mm glass diameter!

By the way, flange size for the no.5 ( and perhaps 5a?) is the same as the Heliar 36cm.

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Jul-2014, 06:04
Steven yes, The lens is in perfect shape!. I do need to use it more as it is to nice to just let sit on the shelf.

pierre506
23-Jul-2014, 06:39
Enjoy the lens, Jim~

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Jul-2014, 06:44
I've been using some of my other big lenses on the Century 8A lately and I need to Mount this and put her to use.