PDA

View Full Version : My "new" 2-D

Nathan67
27-Jun-2012, 15:34
Took a chance on a Kodak 2-D from a non photographer seller on flea bay... Camera had the extra extension rail and looked like the sliding tripod block was there too... Also included was a blank lensboard and as the seller described it a 4x5 back...

Well on opening the package this morning the first thing that greeted my eyes was a 5x7 reducing back :D very happy about that mistake! The ground glass on both backs is a bit grubby but no cracks.. the sliding block is there and the extra rail fits and works... all movements work and surprisingly smooth too! The bellows is light tight too.. as far as I have checked quickly in the darkroom with a torch :)

I have a after market linhof adapter board so can use my other lenses... the board was to big so I had to shave it some... but it does the job.... but as I said I have (what looks like) an original blank lensboard, not even a hole drilled in it.. so just need a petzval and packard shutter now :D

Anyhow.. here she is: (without rail and 5x7 back in this shot) with my fujinon 250mm

I think she is rather beautiful.... and I think it was worth every cent of the 500$ I paid... especially seeing how complete she is!

http://www.lediardfoto.com/A6551323.jpg

Ari
27-Jun-2012, 16:29
Nice catch!

Ken Lee
27-Jun-2012, 17:15
Oh yeah. That's the original everything: bellows, level, strap... beautiful.

Someone took very good care of it!

I just started a thread for photos made with Kodak 2D cameras. Let's hope to see some of yours soon :cool:

Nathan67
27-Jun-2012, 17:22
Thanks, burned off 4 sheets today.. Just need to develop them now :)

The seller said that the original owner was a photographer for Esquire magazine on the 50's , how true this is i have no idea, but seeing as this was not your typical used camera seller I have no real reason to doubt it... The camera is well used, but looks cared for :) yes I was amazed to see the level on the rear standard too!

jcoldslabs
27-Jun-2012, 18:09
That's much nicer than mine! I'm a bit jealous. But I love mine despite (or because of?) its rickety nature. Still, I can mount a huge B&L 15" f/3.8 Petzval on the front and while it strains and groans it holds firm. Have fun with it!

Jonathan

davehyams
27-Jun-2012, 18:23
I have a couple of 2d's and they are great cameras. I have some pretty large lenses that I throw on it and they are both doing good. great camera for the money, nice pick up.

Corran
27-Jun-2012, 21:24
I had a Gundlach of similar design a while ago. I found that drilling a pilot hole at the end of the front extension rail and popping a monopod on it really made the camera stable, especially when using a big chunk of glass. Very nice looking camera (I always liked colored bellows, though I've never owned a camera with them myself). Personally I ended up moving on to a Century Universal.

Oren Grad
27-Jun-2012, 22:10
Enjoy! My first whole plate camera was an Eastman No. 2 cobbled together from two cameras - a back from one, a body with good bellows from the other. I really like how quick and easy it is to set up and take down, and the huge range of the front rise/fall. The pendulum level is cool, too. :)

Drew Bedo
28-Jun-2012, 05:42
Congratulations on becoming the current steward of a fine old camera. Mine lacks the extension. Color me green with envy!

Brian Ellis
28-Jun-2012, 13:28
Very nice and a good price too. I've owned two 2Ds, wish I hadn't sold them (though not quite as much as I wish I hadn't sold my two Deardorffs : - )

Jim Galli
28-Jun-2012, 15:23
I just started a thread for photos made with Kodak 2D cameras. Let's hope to see some of yours soon :cool:

Suh-weet! Finally a thread for MY camera! :~'() Congrats Nathan. Look at the links at the bottom of my messy title page for one about putting a Packard inside a 2D. Looks just like my old bow wow work horse (that's made a few good images in it's time iidssm)

Nathan67
28-Jun-2012, 16:18
Suh-weet! Finally a thread for MY camera! :~'() Congrats Nathan. Look at the links at the bottom of my messy title page for one about putting a Packard inside a 2D. Looks just like my old bow wow work horse (that's made a few good images in it's time iidssm)

Thanks Jim :)
Got a fuji 360 f6.3 hanging off the end at the moment along with the 250 shown in the pics... but I have a hankering for some old brass and a packard for scratching my soft focus itch :D any hints/tips on what to look for and fits the 2-Dmuch appreciated! feel free to PM me if you like.

I have burned off a few sheets of 8x10 and this camera stops traffic... people are used to seeing the village photographer with old cameras but this one really shines :) Getting people in front of this is going to be no problem I think! :D

Nathan67
28-Jun-2012, 16:21
Glad to hear enthusiastic comments on my camera everyone :) I was pretty sure I got a sweet deal on this, and your remarks confirm it... icing on the cake for me was the 5x7 back! (although I will be using 10x8 most its great to have that choice!)