PDA

View Full Version : Calumet C1 8x10 + 12" 6.3 commercial Ektar?

Curtis Nelson
26-Jun-2012, 21:00
Is this a good combination for a starter 8x10? I have a line on one for a fairly good price (~ $300). The shutter sticks, but the camera looks to be in decent shape.

cdholden
26-Jun-2012, 22:19
Does the camera lock down tight when it should be solid, and move freely when and where it should move? Is the bellows light tight?
If you just said yes 3 times, then yes... it sounds like a good deal. Sticky shutters can always be serviced or replaced later. If you're using slower film, you can use the lens as a barrel lens and control light by a cap. The 14" Commercial Ektar will cover the 8x10 format with a lot more movements than the 12" version will allow. If the glass is in good condition, that lens won't disappoint you either.

John Kasaian
26-Jun-2012, 22:42
If the bellows are good and everything locks down OK it is very good price for an 8x10! Try exercising the shutter umpteen times---maybe that is all it will need to convince it to behave like a good shutter. Don't try the lighter fluid trick on Ilex shutters, you'll dissolve the shutter blades. The C1 will require a stout tripod.

E. von Hoegh
27-Jun-2012, 06:56
Is this a good combination for a starter 8x10? I have a line on one for a fairly good price (~ $300). The shutter sticks, but the camera looks to be in decent shape.

Very good. At that price you can get a CLA on the shutter, (highly reccomended) use the outfit for a while, and if you don't like 8x10, you can sell it and get your investment back.

Frank Petronio
27-Jun-2012, 06:59
It's like learning to drive a car with a Mack truck ;-p

cdholden
27-Jun-2012, 07:03

Even easier.
No one will ask you to parallel park the camera when there's no parking at the loading dock.

E. von Hoegh
27-Jun-2012, 07:24

I was taught how to properly manage a manual transmission (crashbox) on an early 70s Mack Thermodyne with a dump body.

Michael Jones
27-Jun-2012, 07:35
Yes;
1) it’s a reasonable outfit at a good price
2) you will be able to sell it if you don't like it and not lose your investment.

Go for it.

Mike

Frank Petronio
27-Jun-2012, 07:57
I was taught how to properly manage a manual transmission (crashbox) on an early 70s Mack Thermodyne with a dump body.

Yeah I learned on farm and construction equipment long before I was legal on the road.

As to the OP, sure $300 is a deal.

John Kasaian
27-Jun-2012, 10:09
Who here remembers the push button shifters on the Dodge slant sixes?

E. von Hoegh
27-Jun-2012, 10:14

Yep. The big Chryslers of the mid to late 50s had them as well.

How about "Three on the tree" shifters?

Alan Gales
27-Jun-2012, 12:55

When I was young a good friend of mine purchased an early 60"s Dart convertible with a push button automatic transmission. The slant six needed a rebuild so 3 of us took an engine overhaul course on Saturday mornings and tore down the engine and rebuilt it. My buddy repainted it white with a white cloth top and a red stripe down the side surrounded by chrome. The 3 of us had a great time working on her and she ended up a really neat ride which nobody else had.

John Kasaian
27-Jun-2012, 14:46
Yep. The big Chryslers of the mid to late 50s had them as well.

How about "Three on the tree" shifters?

I had one on a '47 Chevy, lol!

cdholden
27-Jun-2012, 14:53
Some Mavericks had them in the 70s.
I once borrowed a friend's car and was a little confused to have a clutch and an auto transmission shifter on the column. Hey wait, there's no PRNDL indicator!

Paul Bujak
27-Jun-2012, 16:39
I learned on my Dad's '39 Chevy with a vacuum-assisted shifter. You couldn't budge that thing unless the engine was running. We actually broke off the plastic extension on the lever by trying so it was a little hard reaching around the steering wheel, but we managed!

I've also got a Green Monster C-1. Love it but it is a tad heavy to carry around.

dsphotog
27-Jun-2012, 17:02
Take a look inside the bellows, those are known for the inner bellows coming unglued & sagging inside.
Otherwise, those cameras are bombproof. Plus, if you decide it's too heavy, they take the same size lensboard as a Deardorff.

Michael Clark
27-Jun-2012, 19:35
Remember well, had the Valiant slant six 225 cu, had some pep and go. My sister called it the " the Toad" .

E. von Hoegh
28-Jun-2012, 06:38
I had one on a '47 Chevy, lol!

My first legal vehicle was a '52 Chevy pickemup shortbox, with a 216 stovebolt. A real "fill the oil, check the gas" special. Three on the tree.

John Conway
30-Jun-2012, 22:02
This is a large format forum, but I must get in on the old car chat. My first was a 1964 chevy chevelle with a rotted out floor and straight six engine. I didn't fix the floor for about six months, so when I went out on a date with my girlfriend, she had to hold her feet up. My friend had a dodge dart with slant six. I think it was a 68. We sprayed the whole car with hot rod black spray cans. The dart was the concert car. She took us to see the Allman brothers, Led Zepplin, Pink floyd and many other bands. Man, those were the days.