PDA

View Full Version : North Rim of Grand Canyon

magneticred
26-Jun-2012, 20:33
I will be staying two nights at the North rim of the Grand Canyon. Been to the south rim several times, but this will be my first to this side. Would like some advice on best vantage spots for sunrise, and sunset shots. Also interested in any surrounding areas outside of the canyon. I will be shooting both chromes and color negatives, ISO 100. I have two lenses, a 135mm and a 210mm. Camera is a Toko (not Toyo) field camera. For inspiration, I would appreciate any photographs from this area as well.

Thanks

civich
27-Jun-2012, 04:31
The veranda at the lodge - you can spend all day there watching the light being swallowed by the abyss. Also Transept canyon. Also Point Sublime - a long, slow (high clearance) drive and you need a (free) back country permit if you camp there. Also, well, pretty much anywhere. Monsoon season or just before they close the facilities in October for clouds or aspen color. Two days ain't enough! -Chris

Duane Polcou
28-Jun-2012, 14:38
The two "classic" sunset spots are Bright Angel Point and Cape Royal. Bright Angel Point is reached via 1/4 trail immediately adjacent to the North Rim Lodge. It looks soutward down Bright Angel Canyon, and the buttes named Deva, Brahma, and Zoroaster Temples are illuminated by the setting sun. Cape Royal is at the end of the road that traverses the Walhalla Plateau, and encompasses a 270 degree view of the canyon, and is one of the most spectacular viewpoints. You can shoot sunset directly into the setting sun and backlight the canyon's features. You can swing your camera around to the left (approximately South) and shoot Wotan's Throne side-lit, or farther left still you can frame Vishnu Temple which will be fully illuminated by the setting sun, with the San Francisco Peaks in the background.

Sunrise can be challenging as many of the viewpoints face Eastward (Pt. Imperial, Vista Encantada, Cape Final) so you are therefore shooting into the rising sun, and there can be considerable haze present in the canyon in the early AM hours. I once successfully photographed sunrise from Pt Imperial on a day where haze was almost non-existent, and the rising sun illuminated the right side of the prominent butte, Mt. Hayden.

Hope this helps.

magneticred
18-Jul-2012, 18:28
Thanks for the insight and advice, especially the sunrise vs sunset advantage. We've been experiencing a lot of monsoon storms here in Vegas, the safime weather continue in the Canyon it should make for some nice shots. Does anyone have any photos of this area to share?