PDA

View Full Version : Fixing 8x10 holders

bob carnie
24-Jun-2012, 11:39
I am working with 8x10 quite a bit these days, I have around 10 holders but the bottom flaps are falling off or peeling off.
Is there a way of fixing them,, I can't be the only one with this problem, I have thought about using some crazy glue or plastic glue but a bit of advise would be helpful.

Erik Larsen
24-Jun-2012, 11:46
If you mean you need to retape them then this is good stuff. http://www.demco.com/goto?blk9819&C2BZZZZ

vinny
24-Jun-2012, 11:58
What brand? For older wooden types, I have retaped them successfully with gaffer's tape. For newer Fidelity types, I think Calumet still sells replacement tape.

I haven't called but they took it off their site several years ago.

gaff tape will work but will eventually (couple years) dry out and leave a crusty residue.

bob carnie
24-Jun-2012, 12:10
Greg the plastic ones.

What brand? For older wooden types, I have retaped them successfully with gaffer's tape. For newer Fidelity types, I think Calumet still sells replacement tape.

bob carnie
24-Jun-2012, 12:11
thanks I check this product out.

If you mean you need to retape them then this is good stuff. http://www.demco.com/goto?blk9819&C2BZZZZ

jon.oman
24-Jun-2012, 12:55
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/812225-REG/General_Brand_001UPCSPIKEMBLA_Pro_Spike_Tape.html

I've used this on my plastic holders. Works great, and you don't have to cut it to width.

cowanw
24-Jun-2012, 13:23
At one of the art stores in T.O. ( I think the one around from the Art Gallery) you will find black book binders tape or drop off you know what at my house and I will give you what you need.

bob carnie
24-Jun-2012, 13:35
I will do that.. I am doing a jury rig circuluar cut on 8ply then sandwich together then put different size lenses in the rig just to see if I can get the magnification I am looking for.. Once I find out which lens works best for me I am coming to steeltown.

thanks

At one of the art stores in T.O. ( I think the one around from the Art Gallery) you will find black book binders tape or drop off you know what at my house and I will give you what you need.

Jim Noel
24-Jun-2012, 16:52
The Demco bookbinders tape is the best to use. I re-taped some holders more than 10 years ago and hey are still in excellent condition. Gaffers tape may last a year or so and then break down leaving a very messy residue.

Mark Sawyer
24-Jun-2012, 17:29
I've had the same trouble with my wet plate holders, made from Fidelity film holders. Every shot requires the flaps be opened several times for loading, unloading, and cleaning, and I use the same holder over and over. To make things worse, sometimes chemicals drip down to the flaps...

My best solution is to mix up a little 5-minute epoxy, then smear it on some wax paper or thin plasitic, use that to put a very thin coat on the underside of the tape, and stick it back down. One more option...

John Kasaian
24-Jun-2012, 21:02
I've had good luck replacing with gaffer's tape (because thats what I have on hand) but book binder's tape is supposed to be the cat's meow for the job.

bob carnie
25-Jun-2012, 06:02
Ask a question here and you get the right answers.

thank you all.

E. von Hoegh
25-Jun-2012, 06:46
The Demco bookbinders tape is the best to use. I re-taped some holders more than 10 years ago and hey are still in excellent condition. Gaffers tape may last a year or so and then break down leaving a very messy residue.

Yes, definitely go with the bookbinder's tape. If you cannot find it in white, a black magical marker will fix you up.

John Kasaian
25-Jun-2012, 07:06
Yes, definitely go with the bookbinder's tape. If you cannot find it in white, a black magical marker will fix you up.
FWIW I've got quite a few holders I gaffer's taped 7-8 years ago and they've held up just fine. I used 3M Gaffer's Tape. The only drawback I've experienced is that the hinges are very stiff after being retaped and won't open flat---on some holders I had to hold the flap down in order to load the film---but they do loosen up after awhile.
Of course gaffer's tape isn't specifically designed for making hinges, but book binders tape is.
Retaping hinges is easy but the flaps on old wooden holders are thin and easily broken so take your time. You may need an adhesive solvent of some sort to remove the old tape adhesive---be sure to get it clean so your new tape isn't sticking to a deteriorating base of old adhesive leftover from the old tape. Good luck!

E. von Hoegh
25-Jun-2012, 07:17
FWIW I've got quite a few holders I gaffer's taped 7-8 years ago and they've held up just fine. I used 3M Gaffer's Tape. The only drawback I've experienced is that the hinges are very stiff after being retaped and won't open flat---on some holders I had to hold the flap down in order to load the film---but they do loosen up after awhile.
Of course gaffer's tape isn't specifically designed for making hinges, but book binders tape is.
Retaping hinges is easy but the flaps on old wooden holders are thin and easily broken so take your time. You may need an adhesive solvent of some sort to remove the old tape adhesive---be sure to get it clean so your new tape isn't sticking to a deteriorating base of old adhesive leftover from the old tape. Good luck!

I retaped 8 holders in the late '80s, with bookbinder's tape from a local bookstore which still sells such things - even today!!. They're (filmholders) still going strong, and I still have the roll of tape for when/if they will ever need retaping again. I've even used the tape on books......

Jan Pietrzak
25-Jun-2012, 21:54
Bob,

Ok, Lineco products has in their product line a 'Spine Repair' tape 550-1505 2" wide which should work just fine. Now for the hard part, you will need to take all the old tape and dried adhesive off the holder. Things you may need are exacto knife, bone folder or old ceramic tool, some sand paper, and Ever-clear. Clean off all the old tape and dried stuff, sand, scrape all the flaps and ends of the holder. Clean out the dust with a paint brush. Clean parts with Ever-clear, let dry. Take an old sheet of film and put it in the holder. Put the flaps back on 'you should have marked which one went were'. Put holder on flat surface, cut tape longer than needed. and tape the first side. The flap will need room to open and close, you will figure that part out after your 5th or 6th holder. Wrap the tape around the end and on to the other side. If I remember 2" wide tape will be to wide so cut it in the end of the grove/depression. Use the bone folder to press the tape down. Try working the flap to see if works correctly. Cut the ends and on to the next holder. Remember to use only a little bit of Ever-clear for cleaning.
That should do it.

Jan Pietrzak

John Kasaian
27-Jun-2012, 23:07
If you don't have Everclear, try gin or vodka!

bob carnie
28-Jun-2012, 05:51
thanks Jan

Kevin Crisp
28-Jun-2012, 06:01
On some holders, gaffers tape is so thick that clearance gets to be a problem with certain cameras like metal Canhams. The thinner choices are better and will last longer.

Jan Pietrzak
28-Jun-2012, 06:49
John,

Over the years I have developed a supply of Ever-clear it was cheaper than Vodka or Gin. The guys at Hasselblad in LA told me that is was they used for lens cleaner. But I guess Vodka or Gin will do the same job. Remember Ever-clear is 190 proof and dries real clean.

Bob,

You are welcome and good luck, it is just one of those jobs that's a pain to do. But done correctly the holders will work just like new.

Kevin,

You are correct. That is why you never want to do a tape over. And why you need to clean all the old tape glue out of the end flaps. The book tape will stay flexible for a long time it is designed to bend.

Jan Pietrzak

John Kasaian
28-Jun-2012, 08:14
Jan,
I tend to use what I have on hand, lol!

Jan Pietrzak
28-Jun-2012, 10:24
John,

So do I, but the Gin and Vodka kept disappearing on me. I think some one was taking it.

Jan Pietrzak