PDA

View Full Version : How much is this set-up worth

minor salazar
23-Jun-2012, 09:35
Found this on a local CL add. Have wanted to dabble in LF for awhile and wondered if anyone could give me a guesstimate on what this is worth7598775988

Thanks in advance for your help

Jack Dahlgren
23-Jun-2012, 09:52
The TLR on the left could be 100-700 - can't really tell from the photo.

10 film holders at 5-10 each
One of the other holders goes for 50-80, the other is worthless.
Case 20-100
Graflex with lens 250-600

Need more detailed views to give better information

Vaughn
23-Jun-2012, 10:08
The TLR is a Graflex 22 (after the company bought out Ciro-Flex). Pretty basic camera...maybe $100 if shutter and glass are in very good condition.

From the photos everything looks in good condition, so depending on the shutter and glass (and the focal plane shutter on the Speed Graphic camera body), I would offer a max of $300 for the lot. Two hundred if I had to find a replacement lens/shutter. But this reflects my desire for the set...perhaps a little low since I own most of what is in the set already -- a much older Speed Graphic, but the same TLR and use larger formats these days.

The pretty tripod that would have come with the set is missing (I have one in like-new condition, but I have never tried to actually use it), but if the seller thinks of the set as a collector's item rather than a something to actually use, he might want more.

Vaughn

Louis Pacilla
23-Jun-2012, 10:11
I think given it's a Craigs listing . I think $250 up to maybe $300 would be fair if the focal plain shutter runs well, the bellows are light tight and the Grafmatic holder has it septums and is in good condition.

The lens looks to be either a Ektar 127 or 152 mm FL in Supermatic shutter. Good lens ( is glass coating in good shape?) good shutter. If it runs rough a CLA will get in shape if you need those shutter speeds. Otherwise open it up and use the FP shutter. One more thing is check the range finder if you plan to use it butchances are it probably working well with the Kodak Ektar given the camera look barely used..

Every thing else is nice but you may not need them other than the Volcanite case. The flash handles are not the big money 3 battery Graflex /Star Wars Light saber so they really have little value and the holders are so inexpensive that they don't add value.

The gear looks to be in great condition with low mileage. I guess if you can get for less than my given value good for you. If the seller thinks it's value is in the high hundreds then pass and take a chance on eBay. Plenty of good deals on Speeds and Crowns if your patient.

Good luck and keep us posted

Thanks Vaughn. 127mm Ektar it is.

Vaughn
23-Jun-2012, 10:23
I see 127mm on the lens (f4.7)

photobymike
23-Jun-2012, 11:11
I would be a buyer on the graflex if the back is clean, shutter worked and glass was clean between 250 300

Whats worth? "The most a buyer will give and the least you would take."

minor salazar
23-Jun-2012, 13:23
Thanks....they are asking much more than what you guys are quoting....

minor salazar
23-Jun-2012, 13:28
I think I may still go lok at it....could you give me some tips on what and how to check to tell if the camera is in good working condition. I do not think the owner will be of much help as they are selling for someone that has passed away.

minor salazar
23-Jun-2012, 13:41
Also found another camera what is a fair price for this? no lens.75994

ic-racer
23-Jun-2012, 14:15
Also found another camera what is a fair price for this? no lens.75994

2 years ago I helped a friend get started in 4x5. We found a Graphic View II (like the one you posted) and a Grundlach/Korona wooden 4x5 field camera. No lenses. He paid $200 for both from a Craigslist ad.

photobymike
23-Jun-2012, 14:33
Ok this camera 50 cents is to much.... unless its in new condition ... this camera is loose adjustments seriously bad design ... look for an Omega or early Toyo f or g for about 200 hundred... i have had all 3 and can tell you that you will absolutely hate the Graphic view ... trust me when i say its maybe a looker but not a worker...

minor salazar
23-Jun-2012, 15:29
Ok this camera 50 cents is to much.... unless its in new condition ... this camera is loose adjustments seriously bad design ... look for an Omega or early Toyo f or g for about 200 hundred... i have had all 3 and can tell you that you will absolutely hate the Graphic view ... trust me when i say its maybe a looker but not a worker...

Thank you...

goamules
23-Jun-2012, 17:35
I had a craigslist guy 2 weeks ago trying to pawn off a 4x5 graflex on me for $500. I told him "no chance, I wouldn't even pay half that." That's my general tumbnail guide for craigslist prices, sellers usually double the average going rate on eBay. Unless it's old practically worthless 35mm gear, then the price is 10 times the going rate. I often see Canon AE-1 kits priced at $300 or some such, because that's what the person bought it for retail - in 1981. No one wants to believe they are now worth about $30. I'd basically let the guy sit on the graflex a few months and figure things out.

Jim Galli
23-Jun-2012, 17:50
It's a press camera. Not a seriously bad design at all. Made to do a certain task and did it well. Most of that stuff will go in the trash, including, unfortunately the tlr. $225 is plenty for this.

joselsgil
23-Jun-2012, 19:37
Lately I have seen Speed Grahic cameras with the asking price of $300 +. This is the prices I have seen without a case or other accessories.

That doesn't mean that they will get that amount, that is usually the starting asking price.

The TLR Graflex 22 model camera is not a very expensive camera. Figure it's value around $50 if it is the E model.

The Graphic View camera, without a lens or lensboard can be found for $50 to $80. It can go for a few dollars more if it had a lens with it and the back is intact.

Minor, where are you located?

minor salazar
23-Jun-2012, 19:43
Roseville,Ca....The second pic I posted the camera was listed for $150.00, too high?

joselsgil
23-Jun-2012, 23:39
Roseville,Ca....The second pic I posted the camera was listed for $150.00, too high?

Yes, it is too high. You would need to find a lens board for the Graphic View and hope that the bellows are light proof. Not to mention, you still need a lens.

I live in the Los Angeles area where at least two camera swapmeets are held each month. This can be a good thing and a bad thing, cause you always find some great deals at them. This problem tends to keep me broke :)

Isn't there any camera shows in the Sacto or S.F. area, that you can attend? For some reason, almost all of the CL ads that I have read, are way over priced.

The other option is to wait for your 30 days are up. Then you can view the classifieds here on this site. This would also allow you to increase your camera purchase budget.

Jose

minor salazar
24-Jun-2012, 07:16
Good idea....upon doing more research I think for what I want to do a Graflex super D would be a good choice for me.

joselsgil
24-Jun-2012, 13:23
Good idea....upon doing more research I think for what I want to do a Graflex super D would be a good choice for me.

Ok, now you are talking silly money :)

minor salazar
24-Jun-2012, 14:33
ooops...really? Maybe i should re-think. was also looking at the rz67. Rotating back would be nice for portraits

Brian Ellis
24-Jun-2012, 15:27
ooops...really? Maybe i should re-think. was also looking at the rz67. Rotating back would be nice for portraits

You probably already know this but just in case, almost all LF cameras have a rotating back too - some rotate on the camera, some have to be removed and put back on in vertical position but that's usually very quick and easy to do.

joselsgil
24-Jun-2012, 20:48

Minor,

The RZ67 is a Medium Format camera. The image is 6X7cm. It has a rotating back, because it is not a square image like a Rolleiflex, Hasselblad, and other 6X6cm cameras. The RZ67 has electronic shutters and it is basically an electronic version of the Mamiya RB67. Very few parts are interchangeable between the RZ67 and the RB67.

Minor, the Graflex Super D, is really called an Graflex RB Super D SLR. The RB stands for "Rotating Back". Not all Graflex SLR cameras have the rotating back. The cost of a Graflex Super D model, would set you back more than a decent large format monorail or field camera.

Jose

DrTang
25-Jun-2012, 11:21
I wouldn't pay more than a buck and a half...eh..if there is another relfector..maybe 165