PDA

View Full Version : Efke IR

mdm
19-Jun-2012, 23:11
I have some ebay 8x10 efke IR film and want to cut it down to 5x7. However its not notched and I cant tell which is the emulsion side in the dark, both sides are sticky. Any idea how to tell which side is which short of sacrificing a sheet? Also, to other users of it, have you found it to be packaged consistently same side up, if I do sacrifice a sheet will I be safe to assume they are all like that?

Thanks
David

mdm
20-Jun-2012, 03:11
In case you are wondering, I found some notches after a while and in anycase, if you wear nitrile gloves the emulsion side id smoothish and the base is sticky and squeaky.

Sevo
20-Jun-2012, 04:04
I haven't ever found sheet film that was not consistently one side up, unless it had been tampered with - as the notches are punched into the stack, part of the notches would be cut into the wrong edge if it was not stacked consistently.

Efke is notorious for sometimes mis-punching their notches to be too shallow or almost non-existent - but I've had that issue with Ilford and Kodak as well, however only with odd (presumably manually aligned and cut) sheet sizes.