PDA

View Full Version : Solo Show in Ventura California " Symphonies of Light"

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Jun-2012, 17:50
I wanted to let everyone know that I have my first solo show at the Buenaventura Gallery in downtown Ventura on July 21, 2012 from 4 PM to 8 PM. The show will consist of my carbon transfer prints ranging in size from 8x10 through 11x14, 14x17 and 8x20. I'm not sure how many prints I will hang but it should be somewhere around 40 prints.

If you are in the LA area please stop in to say high and see some carbon prints up close.

The show runs through August 11, 2012 and I'll be at the gallery every weekend when the show is up and as often as I can during the week.

I'm going to attach a link to the home page of my website that shows the announcement.

www.carbonartphotography.com

Jim Graves
19-Jun-2012, 18:05
Jim ... congratulations on your show ... your work is absolutely beautiful and worthy of an extensive solo show.

I'm going to try my best to get down there during the show's run.

Best of luck ... I know the response will be great ... and here's hoping you sell a portfolio's worth and pick up some orders and even catch the eyes of some of the gallery reps!!!

The other Jim ... the one in Sacramento

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Jun-2012, 18:30
Jim, thanks for the kind words. I'd love to see you again. It is exciting! I did manage to land the best time to have a solo show. During the once a year art walk in Ventura.

Kimberly Anderson
19-Jun-2012, 18:43
Very great news. Congratulations!

Erik Larsen
19-Jun-2012, 18:53
Good luck Jim! Many sales I hope.

Michael Clark
19-Jun-2012, 18:54
Good luck Jim, I'm planing to make it up there, don,t know when though.

Mike

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Jun-2012, 19:09
Thanks everyone. I'll be at the opening on Saturday and back again on Sunday as it is art walk. The gallery is normally open Tuesday through Saturday Noon to 5Pm. I could never figure out why it was not open on Sunday. While my show is hanging I'll be at the gallery on Saturday and Sunday from 11 AM to 5 PM.

Merg Ross
19-Jun-2012, 20:14
Jim, I've been waiting. You are overdue for an extensive exhibition of your work. Congratulations! Sales are perhaps important, however, not necessarily an indication of your excellent vision, technique, and passion. Those are the important qualities.

Best wishes,
Merg

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Jun-2012, 20:20
Jim, I've been waiting. You are overdue for an extensive exhibition of your work. Congratulations! Sales are perhaps important, however, not necessarily an indication of your excellent vision, technique, and passion. Those are the important qualities.

Best wishes,
Merg

Merg, thank you. You know, I really don't care if I sell a thing. I have about 61 images framed and ready to hang. The hard part will be curating the images to hang. I do have a good friend and photographer whom I respect to help me with this. He is my harshest critic and I hope to have the best work I've done to date hanging. I must say I can't wait to see all of my stuff on the walls!

I have a story to tell with the images I produce and I'm sure we all have one. I know some will get it and some will not. That is okay. I absolutely love what I do and that is what matters most. Thanks again.

ghostcount
19-Jun-2012, 21:23
Congratulations Jim!

Kirk Gittings
19-Jun-2012, 21:55
Good for you! Congrats.

Duane Polcou
20-Jun-2012, 02:04
Outstanding. I wish you great success. I've never actually seen a carbon print "in person". I wish I could make it there.

Andrew O'Neill
20-Jun-2012, 10:20
Congratulations, Jim.

Hugo Zhang
20-Jun-2012, 11:00
Congratulations, Jim!

Curt
20-Jun-2012, 16:46
Jim, it's going to be a great show and a rare opportunity for the public to see Carbon Transfer Prints up close. Not only will they see some outstanding work but in sizes that are just not seen today, especially at one time. When you announced the show many months ago I immediately set the time aside to attend. Congratulations, it has been a labor of love and many many long hours of work involving traditional film with traditional Ultra Large Format cameras that you crafted and built. I will see you there in Ventura!

Tri Tran
20-Jun-2012, 18:27
Jim,
I'm so glad that it finally happened. It's definitely your time.
No doubt it will be a great show because this is one of a kind exhibition and a state of the art process for the carbon print. A lifetime opportunity for people that have never had a chance to see in person. A Genuine ULF Carbon print made with in-camera negative with home made tissue.
We are fortunate to have you here as an asset for the community,totally dedicated 100% to traditional photography and a hardcore art friend. I'm proud of you.
I already posted on your FB. My family will be there on either day but I have to work around my schedule.
Again, congratulations and looking forward to see the video clip that you have made from the show.
Cheers,

cdholden
21-Jun-2012, 09:33
Jim, it's going to be a great show and a rare opportunity for the public to see Carbon Transfer Prints up close. Not only will they see some outstanding work but in sizes that are just not seen today, especially at one time. When you announced the show many months ago I immediately set the time aside to attend. Congratulations, it has been a labor of love and many many long hours of work involving traditional film with traditional Ultra Large Format cameras that you crafted and built. I will see you there in Ventura!

+1

Jim,
Finally... the light at the end of the tunnel! And it's not an oncoming train.
How many months has it been that your forum posts are along the lines of "no time for that", "no money for that. I've got a show coming up." "Can't do that as it takes away from my preparations for an upcoming show"? Hot damn. You can finally bite into the fruits of your labor. I only wish I could attend to enjoy it with you. It's truly a rare experience to see that many carbon prints, especially in those sizes, in one place. After the show, pack it well. You need to have it ready for transporting to your next show in or around TN. :)

Best of luck!
Chris

Jim Fitzgerald
21-Jun-2012, 20:27
Thanks again everyone for the kind comments. It has been a very long journey and I've gotten some wonderful help from this forum and its members. This is where I first saw a carbon transfer print posted by Vaughn Hutchins many years ago and after seeing Vaughn's work while sitting on the steps of the Ansel Adams gallery in Yosemite I knew in that instant which way my work would go. At that moment I was a carbon printer and I have never looked back. I've made many great friends on this forum and I hope to share the love of what I do with those who will attend. Can't thank you guys enough.

I recently finished a video session with my youngest son, who happens to be a film maker, and he is editing our shoot and I'll have a short film that will show how I do what I do and give you some more background on why I do what I do. It has been a long journey and I've made it work somehow. My show opens a month from today and I just have to frame the final few pieces of work. My postcards just came in and everything is on schedule. It is a lot of work but I'm loving it. Thanks again everyone. For those who can't make it I hope to have video coverage and plenty of pictures to share.

matthew blais
23-Jun-2012, 09:19
You know I'll be there mi amigo...

Vaughn
23-Jun-2012, 09:52
I am trying to figure a way to get down to see your show. I'll know more in a few weeks how that first week of August might work out. Seven hundred miles and 12 hours -- not exactly close, but it would be great to be there and to get my boys down to SoCal for a week.

I remember my first solo show back in 1985 -- 33 prints (all 16x20 silver gelatins back then). After the work has been up, then taken down in what seems such a short time, there is a danger of thinking , "What? That's it?!" But if one has enjoyed the journey to get to that point, then the taking down of the work is just the end of a chapter, and there promises to be exciting and rewarding journeys to follow.

It has been awhile since that day on the AA Gallery porch and it is wonderful that you have taken photography to heart. I hope to be able to see the show -- and if not, to be able to see your work in person some other time. I plan on being here in the redwoods for a long while if/when you head up this way!

Vaughn

John Fink Jr.
24-Jun-2012, 16:06
Congratulations Jim. Wish I could get out there, but alas!
Best for a great show!

John

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Jun-2012, 16:35
John, thanks. I hope to have some good coverage. I mean a lot of photographers are coming I think!!

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Jun-2012, 16:37
You know I'll be there mi amigo...

Matt, thanks for helping design the card and I know we will have fun!

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Jun-2012, 16:40
I am trying to figure a way to get down to see your show. I'll know more in a few weeks how that first week of August might work out. Seven hundred miles and 12 hours -- not exactly close, but it would be great to be there and to get my boys down to SoCal for a week.

I remember my first solo show back in 1985 -- 33 prints (all 16x20 silver gelatins back then). After the work has been up, then taken down in what seems such a short time, there is a danger of thinking , "What? That's it?!" But if one has enjoyed the journey to get to that point, then the taking down of the work is just the end of a chapter, and there promises to be exciting and rewarding journeys to follow.

It has been awhile since that day on the AA Gallery porch and it is wonderful that you have taken photography to heart. I hope to be able to see the show -- and if not, to be able to see your work in person some other time. I plan on being here in the redwoods for a long while if/when you head up this way!

Vaughn

Vaughn, It has been a long journey hasn't it? I mean it seems like yesterday that we sat on those steps and I got to hold the most beautiful prints I have ever seen. Thanks to you I'm here where I am today. I do hope you can make it and if not I'm sure I'll have images of the event to share.

I can't wait to get back up to the redwoods as you know. October is a wonderful time and who knows but I need my fix!!!

Jeffrey Sipress
24-Jun-2012, 16:58
Congrats, Jim, and I hope to be able to get there for the opening.

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Jun-2012, 17:35
Jeffery, thanks. I hope you can make it.

sanking
24-Jun-2012, 20:21
Jim,

Best of luck with the show. I know that a lot of work went into making the prints and hope that you are happy with the outcome.

Wish I could be there.

Best,

Sandy

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Jun-2012, 21:16
Jim,

Best of luck with the show. I know that a lot of work went into making the prints and hope that you are happy with the outcome.

Wish I could be there.

Best,

Sandy

Sandy, thanks a lot. I must thank you as well for inspiring me to proceed on this carbon transfer journey. I am very happy with the images that I have for the show. Selecting the final ones will not be easy.

Jim Cole
25-Jun-2012, 11:16
Wish I could make it, Jim. I'm missing a fantastic show from a very talented photographer and print maker, I'm sure.

Best of luck with the show and a hearty congratulations on your achievements.

Jim Fitzgerald
25-Jun-2012, 14:13
Jim, thanks for the nice comments. It will be a fun night indeed.

Harley Goldman
25-Jun-2012, 15:21
Sounds great, Jim. I work a few miles from there and will head over on a lunch break to check it out. Looking forward to it!

Jim Fitzgerald
26-Jun-2012, 20:15
Sounds great, Jim. I work a few miles from there and will head over on a lunch break to check it out. Looking forward to it!

Harley, thanks. I'll have a lot of prints up.

Frank Petronio
26-Jun-2012, 20:42
Good luck! Congrats!

Jim Fitzgerald
26-Jun-2012, 21:10
Frank, thanks I appreciate it.

John Kasaian
26-Jun-2012, 23:42
Congratulations! I'll try to get down there and scope it out!

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Jun-2012, 07:09
Congratulations! I'll try to get down there and scope it out!

John, that would be great. Some people can not make it for Saturday night and are coming on Sunday. It is Art Walk weekend in Ventura with many activities happening in town. I'll be at the gallery Sunday from noon to 5 pm as well. It would be nice to meet you.

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Jul-2012, 07:53
Hanging the show a week from today!

Roger Thoms
8-Jul-2012, 08:34
Jim, congratulations on your show, you must be very excited. Leigh and I are going to try and make it down. It really depends on my work schedule.

Do you have any recommendations for accommodations in the area. We will have a car.

Roger

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Jul-2012, 14:36
Jim, congratulations on your show, you must be very excited. Leigh and I are going to try and make it down. It really depends on my work schedule.

Do you have any recommendations for accommodations in the area. We will have a car.

Roger

Roger somewhere earlier I may have posted that if anyone is coming in from far away then they better make reservations right away. My show open on Ventura's once a year Art Walk Weekend. A lot of places will fill up fast. The show is in the downtown area of Ventura.

Curt
8-Jul-2012, 15:39
That's a good point Jim, I have reservations but this time of year is peak vacation time for many people, the longer a person waits the further out they will be staying.

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Jul-2012, 16:11
That's a good point Jim, I have reservations but this time of year is peak vacation time for many people, the longer a person waits the further out they will be staying.

Curt, Very true. My apartment is booked already!

Michael Clark
8-Jul-2012, 18:22
Curt, were are you staying, me and Ghoastcount were thinking of heading up there Sat. and staying over night and going out photoging Sunday morning.

Mike

Roger Thoms
8-Jul-2012, 19:25
Jim & Curt, thanks for the heads up, as I hadn't really given it much thought. I was able to get reservations so unless I have to work, we'll be there.

Roger

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Jul-2012, 21:07
Jim & Curt, thanks for the heads up, as I hadn't really given it much thought. I was able to get reservations so unless I have to work, we'll be there.

Roger

Roger, great! Hope you can make it. It will be great to meet you and everyone!

Roger Thoms
8-Jul-2012, 21:49
I'm looking forward to the show and meeting everyone too. Also I have never seen a carbon print so this seems like a perfect opportunity.

As far as work goes it shouldn't be a problem but you never know. I'm a carpenter just went back to work after being laid off for 4 months. So if my boss says we are working Saturday I'm working. So far we haven't had to work very many Saturdays so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Roger

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Jul-2012, 22:08
I'm looking forward to the show and meeting everyone too. Also I have never seen a carbon print so this seems like a perfect opportunity.

As far as work goes it shouldn't be a problem but you never know. I'm a carpenter just went back to work after being laid off for 4 months. So if my boss says we are working Saturday I'm working. So far we haven't had to work very many Saturdays so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Roger

Roger, I know what you mean. I'm in construction material sales so I know the drill very well. Hope you make it.

Curt
10-Jul-2012, 02:12
Curt, Very true. My apartment is booked already!

I know, the girl at your reception desk said you're full up.

So why would I make a 2,000 mile round trip that I planned about a year ago and stay in Santa Barbara, on the beach, in a luxury resort, drive down to Ventura for a photo show in a new rental car? Because I know the artist, know how talented he is, have taken a class from him, have been to his home and seen carbon prints covering all of the walls, and wouldn't miss this showing of carbon prints in the size and number for anything in the world!

I won't be there very long, the opening and reception. I hope those who can will make it down, or up, to Ventura for this opportunity.

Curt

Jim Fitzgerald
10-Jul-2012, 06:21
I know, the girl at your reception desk said you're full up.

So why would I make a 2,000 mile round trip that I planned about a year ago and stay in Santa Barbara, on the beach, in a luxury resort, drive down to Ventura for a photo show in a new rental car? Because I know the artist, know how talented he is, have taken a class from him, have been to his home and seen carbon prints covering all of the walls, and wouldn't miss this showing of carbon prints in the size and number for anything in the world!

I won't be there very long, the opening and reception. I hope those who can will make it down, or up, to Ventura for this opportunity.

Curt

Curt, thanks for the support. It will be nice to see you again and get a chance to catch up. I hope that anyone who is curious about carbon printing can make it by. The show runs through August 11, 2012.

Hugo Zhang
13-Jul-2012, 07:39
Jim,

I will come to your show on Sunday. I think Tri will come on Sunday as well.

See you!

Hugo

Hugo Zhang
13-Jul-2012, 17:11
Jim,

Change of plan. Both Tri and I will be there on saturday at the opening. :)

Hugo

Jim,

I will come to your show on Sunday. I think Tri will come on Sunday as well.

See you!

Hugo

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Jul-2012, 20:39
Jim,

Change of plan. Both Tri and I will be there on saturday at the opening. :)

Hugo

Awesome! Can't wait to see both of you.

Jim

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Jul-2012, 23:52
So as an exhibiting artist during art walk I get my own poster. I had to use the 14x17 and the Euryscope! I hang the show tomorrow.

Curt
15-Jul-2012, 00:07
Jim, the poster picture is very nice. It's all coming up very fast.

Tri Tran
15-Jul-2012, 06:08
Great portrait Jim. Nicely done ! The Euryscope looks fantastic.

Kimberly Anderson
15-Jul-2012, 09:22
Good luck with the hanging!

Frank Petronio
15-Jul-2012, 09:24
Good luck Jim!

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Jul-2012, 20:25
Thanks everyone for all of the good wishes and support. I want to thank Matt Blais for helping me hang the show without his help it would have taken me so much longer. I hung 43 images and it looks good. I'll post an image or two in a minute. Just got home.

Curt
15-Jul-2012, 20:46
All right Jim, I'm in the process of packing my suitcase right now!

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Jul-2012, 21:12
So as promised here are a couple of images after a long day of set up.

John Fink Jr.
16-Jul-2012, 08:34
Looks great Jim!!

ghostcount
16-Jul-2012, 10:37
Wonderful!

Kerik Kouklis
16-Jul-2012, 10:48
Nice job, Jim!

akaa
16-Jul-2012, 12:37
Hi Jim,

That looks fantastic. The fam and I are going to be in LA the week of the 25th. I'm going to try and come out that weekend. Can't wait to see it.

Aris

Jim Fitzgerald
17-Jul-2012, 07:37
Hi Jim,

That looks fantastic. The fam and I are going to be in LA the week of the 25th. I'm going to try and come out that weekend. Can't wait to see it.

Aris

Aris, let me know when you are in town and I'll meet you at the gallery. I should be in the gallery every weekend the show hangs.

matthew blais
20-Jul-2012, 17:36
I was told the Swedish bikini team will be present.
So I will stay the whole four hours...

Jim Fitzgerald
21-Jul-2012, 07:41
I was told the Swedish bikini team will be present.
So I will stay the whole four hours...

I guess that is why I have my bed set up under the drink table! I guess I should stay for the whole four hours as well..... Or maybe I'll come early.

Roger Thoms
21-Jul-2012, 17:54
Visited the gallery this afternoon and the show fantastic. I have been admiring Jim's work on the Internet, but to see the prints in person is like night and day. This is also the first time I've ever seen carbon transfer prints and was blown away.

Roger

Michael Clark
22-Jul-2012, 07:30
I agree with Roger, the opening was a great success, and the prints were wonderful. Well worth the drive from L.A.

Mike

ghostcount
22-Jul-2012, 21:15
Fantastic show Jim. Truly remarkable prints. Also, it was a pleasure seeing you again.

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Jul-2012, 22:01
I want to take a moment to thank everyone who helped me put this show together. Matt Blais thanks for your honest assessment of my work. I believe that the show was well hung! :-) Thanks to everyone who took the time to come a long way to support me. Thanks to Curt for coming all the way from Washington to catch the opening. I think I had over 150 people at the opening. I also want to thank all of those who came a long way from L.A. and Orange County. Ventura is a great place and the show was a huge success. I'll post some images from the event in a little while. Now I need to get some rest.

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Jul-2012, 18:01
Here are a few more! Yes, I had beer at my opening!

Erik Larsen
23-Jul-2012, 19:17
Good to hear it was a good opening for you Jim. It looks like a nice display of your prints with good lighting. I wish you much success!
Erik

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Jul-2012, 19:43
Erik, thanks. It was a small room but lit very well. I'm going to add some more images.

Hugo Zhang
24-Jul-2012, 10:10
Hi Jim,

It's a terrific show and and what those breathtaking images, enchanting musicians and good foods! Plus many old and new friends. Don't forget that print I asked for my friend in China. I need it in 20 days. :)

Hugo

Vaughn
24-Jul-2012, 14:38
Might be down at the end of the month -- I'll let you know! Vaughn

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Jul-2012, 16:54
Hi Jim,

It's a terrific show and and what those breathtaking images, enchanting musicians and good foods! Plus many old and new friends. Don't forget that print I asked for my friend in China. I need it in 20 days. :)

Hugo

Hugo, I will work on it this week and let you know. Thanks for the kind words. It was great to see one another again.

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Jul-2012, 16:55
Might be down at the end of the month -- I'll let you know! Vaughn

Vaughn, let me know. Show comes down on the 11th of August.

Bruce Pottorff
24-Jul-2012, 20:47
Hey Jim

Congrats on the show. My wife and I will be in Ventura August 3 & 4. Will you be at the gallery either of those days?

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Jul-2012, 22:10
Hey Jim

Congrats on the show. My wife and I will be in Ventura August 3 & 4. Will you be at the gallery either of those days?

Bruce, yes I will. The 3rd is the First Friday art walk night and the galleries stay open till 8pm. I'll be in the gallery on the 4th as well from 11AM till 5pm. I may set up the 14x17 as well.

Bruce Pottorff
25-Jul-2012, 07:49
We will probably come on Friday. I will introduce myself, and it would be great to see the Big Boy set up! Looking forward to seeing your work.

Jim Fitzgerald
25-Jul-2012, 07:54
Bruce on Friday the 3rd I may not get to the gallery until 4 or 5PM

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Aug-2012, 19:56
Well, I can't believe it but the show comes down this Saturday the 11th at 5pm. Thanks to everyone who got a chance to see my work and thanks for all of the wonderful comments as well. I had the 14x17 up for a portrait.

Vaughn
8-Aug-2012, 20:35
Thanks for the personal tour of the gallery -- enjoyed your show very much! Congrats!

Vaughn

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Aug-2012, 21:04
Thanks for the personal tour of the gallery -- enjoyed your show very much! Congrats!

Vaughn

I'm glad you got the chance. It was great to see you and the boys again.

Matt Stage
14-Aug-2012, 17:35
That show was off the charts! You should seriously consider doing more.

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Aug-2012, 18:23
Matt, thanks. I'm working on another show in February. I'll post more details when I have things finalized.

Jeffrey Arthur
15-Aug-2012, 00:27
What a show! Cathryn and I truly appreciate the time you took to answer our questions and give us the personal tour. I got lost looking at those spectacular carbon prints and have not stopped thinking of them since. It was an awesome undertaking and truly unforgettable.

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Aug-2012, 06:45
What a show! Cathryn and I truly appreciate the time you took to answer our questions and give us the personal tour. I got lost looking at those spectacular carbon prints and have not stopped thinking of them since. It was an awesome undertaking and truly unforgettable.

Jeffery, Thanks very much for the nice comments. I always love showing the work. Nice to know that my years of work were enjoyed by you and Cathryn.

Curt
15-Aug-2012, 18:54
Jim, the show is going to remain a highlight for me. Until I learned Carbon from Vaughn Hutchins and then you down at Per's home in Pasadena I was floating along with photography. My journey started when I saw my first Carbon print up close. It was at the Vancouver WA Alternate Processes where Vaughn came up and gave a presentation and explained the process and showed prints. When I first saw one I was viewing it at an angle and the relief was stunning. I couldn't believe what I saw. His prints were off the scale of what I knew the photographic image could be. The only other time I had a feeling like that was when I saw my first Dye Transfer print and show.*

I have to wonder what it would be like if I hadn't driven down to that first workshop. Then I caught your enthusiasm for the process, continued to learn, and just a short time ago now drove down to Ventura from Everett Washington to attend the opening reception of your solo show. I wonder if I'll see that many again in one place. I hope so.*

I can't wait to see your new and future work.*

Curt

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Aug-2012, 20:12
Curt, thanks. I always appreciate your comments and support for my work. It meant a lot to me. To have you come from such a distance to see my work blew me away. Vaughn unleashed my creativity many years ago when I saw his work and I'm glad that I can inspire as well. Inspiration is something that we are all looking for. My passion is unending for this process and I hope to show you a lot more of my work in the future. Thanks again my friend!