PDA

View Full Version : Voigtlander Collinear Series ll no. 6 f 6.3 focus 12 1/2 inch, Packard Shutter

Bill, 70's military B&W
19-Jun-2012, 13:50
Just acquired this one. I do not have the attachment necessary to open the Packard shutter. Came with a B&J Grover 5x7. I can't find much on Google.
Anyone know about this lens? Glass looks nice.

E. von Hoegh
19-Jun-2012, 14:28
The Collinear SerII is a 6 element/2group design, therefore has only 4 air/glass surfaces. Although the construction is different it will perform similar to a Dagor.

IIRC the construction is ++-/-++.

Bill, 70's military B&W
19-Jun-2012, 14:37
Thanks, I now need to find the parts needed to work the shutter. All there is is a rather crudely drilled and tapped hole on the side of the shutter. No writing on the shutter that I can find. I assume it is a Packard???
An interesting point is that I found a Voigtlander Collinear Series ll "No. 8" that is going for $3500. I'll bet there is a BIG difference between a No. 6 and a No. 8. Mine is painted black.
Where do you get the parts necessary to make the shutter work?

E. von Hoegh
19-Jun-2012, 14:54
Try googling "packard shutters" You'll get a result like this: http://www.packardshutter.com/

The #8. Is that selling? or asking? Silly money.

Edit - here is a Voigtlaender catalog with your lens. As can be seen, it is not a Dagor copy.

Bill, 70's military B&W
19-Jun-2012, 15:26
Thanks, I'll look at both. I looked up Packard and I was wrong, it's just a old regular shutter. I just found ACME on a dial. The aperture works fine.
The lens... is it any good? Is it worth fooling with? Glass looks great, took it apart and it cleaned up nicely. Shutter does not open so I can't see thru the whole lens yet. But the front and rear element look nice and it is not beat up. Painted black.

E. von Hoegh
20-Jun-2012, 09:02
Bill, here's the link that should have been in my previous post. http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/voigtlander_1.html Your lens is on pp.21.

Is the lens any good? They behave a bit like Dagors, even though the construction and glasses are entirely different. With 4 air/glass surfaces, they are as flare free as an uncoated lens can be. You might like it's character.

Tim Deming
20-Jun-2012, 12:32
Collinears are great lenses for all around use. Your's sounds like an earlier one, but should still be a good performer. The prices on collinears on eb@y lately have been kind of crazy, this lens might fetch anywhere from $500 to $1000 if you are lucky. A year or two ago you could get one for $100 to $200

Cheers

Tim

E. von Hoegh
20-Jun-2012, 13:13
Collinears are great lenses for all around use. Your's sounds like an earlier one, but should still be a good performer. The prices on collinears on eb@y lately have been kind of crazy, this lens might fetch anywhere from $500 to $1000 if you are lucky. A year or two ago you could get one for $100 to $200

Cheers

Tim

As my screen name may indicate, I use mainly Dagors. I've wanted a Collinear to compare.

I think one of the early Collinears was an infringement on Goerz patents, and had to be withdrawn.

Bill, 70's military B&W
23-Jun-2012, 16:15
Tim,
I'll sell it to you for that amount!!! LOL
Bill