PDA

View Full Version : Cambo SC production range, portability

Ian Mitchell
28-Jan-1998, 17:30
I have the opportunity to buy a used Calumet SC. I was wondering if you have an y insight into this camera. Is it still being made, how long has it been around , what is its general quality, and does it accept a decent amount of accessories . FYI: I'm pretty much a rookie when it comes to view cameras.

Thanks for your help (and the web site !) Ian Mitchell

Britt Leckman
29-Jan-1998, 11:32
The Calumet SC (CAMBO SC) was discontinued from production about two years or so ago. The Cambo cameras, are of excellent quality. The SC is an upper middle o f the road view camera, very modular in design, and accepts a very large range o f accessories from Cambo, Calumet and third party sources. Calumet does not hav e a web site yet (that I know of) but you can call them at 800-225-8638 for a cu rrent catalog. Many of the accessories for the current Cambo cameras will fit th e SC. KEH (www.keh.com) will often have Cambo cameras and accessories available used.

The SC is a very good camera, especially to learn on....

Ian Mitchell
29-Jan-1998, 14:55
Thanks for your previous info about the Cambo SC. I'm looking for a bit more info before I take the plunge. I am wondering about the date range of its production. You mentioned that it went out of production 2 to 3 years ago, but when did it begin production. I'm just trying to find out how old a Cambo SC COULD be. Also, I'm primarily interested in outdoor photography, is this camera a good candidate for that or is it too heavy? Thanks again for you help

Britt Leckman
29-Jan-1998, 14:57
I belive that the SC went into production in the late 80's. The SC is not a light camera by any means. It has a large rail that does not collapse,(it does release) which makes it a very bulky camera to carry into the field. The SC would be a good choice if you are photographing sites visited by car, and is excellent for architecture with the bag bellows. I would not recommend this camera for shooting on the trail. You might be more interested in a "Field" camera, or one of the lighter mono-rail cameras that have a collapsable/foldable/removable rail. These cameras are made for trail use. After all. it's not just the camera, it's the tripod (You will need a sturdy one for the SC) film holders, dark cloth, meter, filters, ect.....

Jim Blecha
1-Feb-1998, 21:37
I have owned a Cambo SC and used it extensively for over 5 years. I purchased it used and it was about 3-4 yrs old then. It's basically the same as the Calumet 45NX which is still sold today. Lensboards, backs, bellows and many parts are in terchangeable. If the standard 22" rail is too long for you, Calumet sells an 11 " rail which will work with lenses up to 210mm at infinity.

There were lots of minor cosmetic changes over the years, and the older ones hav e more silver parts. There have been tons of these cameras or similar sold over the years, and they're a great buy. Get a Calumet catalog to see all the great a ccesories available.