PDA

View Full Version : Enlarging lens threads: how to find adapters?

Will Frostmill
18-Jun-2012, 07:01
Two quick questions:
Do the Schneider Componon enlarging lenses marked 32-mount have a 32.5 x .75 thread?
Or is it 32mm x .5? Schneider says the second, here, in this pdf: http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/enlarging_lenses/enlarging.pdf
Am I reading that diagram wrong, and mistaking the mount side for the filter side?

So:
Any recommendations for cheap adapters? I can work with M42 (Pentax screwmount), M39 (Leica screwmount), and T-mount (the other M42 with the other thread pitch.) I have a retaining ring, so perhaps my best bet would be to epoxy the ring to one of the previously mentioned mounts?

Filter threads are typically 1mm pitch, not .75 pitch yes? So 32.5mm filter do-dads won't help, will they?

Thanks everybody!

Will

ic-racer
18-Jun-2012, 07:33
Two quick questions:
Do the Schneider Componon enlarging lenses marked 32-mount have a 32.5 x .75 thread?
Or is it 32mm x .5? Schneider says the second, here, in this pdf: http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/enlarging_lenses/enlarging.pdf
Am I reading that diagram wrong, and mistaking the mount side for the filter side?

So:
Any recommendations for cheap adapters? I can work with M42 (Pentax screwmount), M39 (Leica screwmount), and T-mount (the other M42 with the other thread pitch.) I have a retaining ring, so perhaps my best bet would be to epoxy the ring to one of the previously mentioned mounts?

Filter threads are typically 1mm pitch, not .75 pitch yes? So 32.5mm filter do-dads won't help, will they?

Thanks everybody!

Will

An adapter will likely cost more than a lensboard or even a new enlarging lens to fit existing equipment. Last threaded adapter I had made by SK Grimes was about $60, but that was a few years ago.

I believe filter threads are pitch 0.75.
I terms of the pitch on your lens mount, you should be able to measure it, but it is best to send the lens and lenboard to SK Grimes (Or whoever you choose) and have them measure it.

If it were my own problem, I'd look for another lensboard and use the locking ring you have or just get a different lens. The asking prices for 150/135mm enlarging lenses on ebay are crazy but when you look at completed auctions, most lenses sell for less than $100.

Will Frostmill
18-Jun-2012, 07:40
An adapter will likely cost more than a threaded lensboard or a locking collar, or even a new enlarging lens to fit existing equipment.

I believe filter threads are pitch 0.75.
I terms of the pitch on your lens, you should be able to measure it.

Thanks ic-racer,
That is a really good point. The handful of adapters I've seen online cost 4x to 8x the lens :)
I think I might have a good example of a .75 pitch threaded filter here, so I'll compare that.
Will

linhofbiker
18-Jun-2012, 08:15
Are you trying to use the enlarging lens as a taking lens? I have a Componon-S 5.6/135 and the cells can be easily by removed and placed into a size 0 shutter. I use this lens for copying artwork.

Will Frostmill
18-Jun-2012, 08:39
linhofbiker,
Right now I'm trying to adapt it to some Pentax Screwmount bellows to do some macro work, but yes, I will be using it for LF after this project is done. I saw that some Componons were size 0 compatible, and I was thinking of getting a beater lens, and swapping out the cells. (Or maybe just front mounting it?)

Since I have the retaining ring, I'm considering gluing or screwing it to a body cap or an extension ring.

Will

ic-racer
18-Jun-2012, 15:10
I came across this also. Seems very reasonably priced: "M32.5 to M39" adapter, $30. Since it indicates "Copal 0" that translates to M32.5-0.5 so it should work with your lens. But on the other end M39 can mean many things. Sometimes actually "M39-0.75" and sometimes "Leica Whitworth thread" etc... So no guarantee this will work, but it is likely returnable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/46485-REG/Schneider_92_010711_0_to_Leica_Mount.html

Will Frostmill
18-Jun-2012, 15:38
I came across this also. Seems very reasonably priced: "M32.5 to M39" adapter, $30. Since it indicates "Copal 0" that translates to M32.5-0.5 so it should work with your lens. But on the other end M39 can mean many things. Sometimes actually "M39-0.75" and sometimes "Leica Whitworth thread" etc... So no guarantee this will work, but it is likely returnable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/46485-REG/Schneider_92_010711_0_to_Leica_Mount.html

Ah! Thank you, that's the ticket! I feel a bit silly for not looking in the "enlarging lenses and accessories" category. Every time I have a question that nobody else has on the internet, it's a good sign that the answer is obvious :)

For what it's worth, the item listed is an actual Schneider product, and they seem to know what a Leica Whitworth thread is - it is one of their longer FAQ items, though I have some doubts about the Fotodiox adapters, and the other enlarging lenses that I have. (E.g. Vivitar)

Will