PDA

View Full Version : Pelican Roller Case Recommendation

Inayat Noor
18-Jun-2012, 03:57
I am seeking a Pelican, or similar, waterproof case with wheels/handle to carry the following.

At a minimum
Canham Wood Traditional: Both 4X5 & 5X7 backs
Canham 6 X 17 Back
Horseman 6 X 12 Back

If possible, in addition
Three mounted lenses
Five 4 X 5 Filmholders

Thank you

Jim

sumo
18-Jun-2012, 04:12
Take a look at HPRC cases. I've been eyeing them recently and for the kit you mention, a 2600W should be big enough. They have bigger and smaller sizes too so there should be something that fits ok.

Ari
18-Jun-2012, 06:44
I use a Pelican 1510; it's carry-on size and I can fit a TK45, four lenses, and four Grafmatic backs inside.
With the lid organizer, all the smaller accessories like filters, cable releases, loupes, etc are taken care of.
The wheels are not great, they work best on a very smooth surface, but overall the case is excellent.

cdholden
18-Jun-2012, 08:23
I have a Pelican 1550 because a fellow forum member offered one at a great price, and it is also very close in size to the 1510 Ari mentions. While mine is functional for what I use it for, I do like the idea that the 1510 is listed as "FAA maximum carry on size" and offers the (part # 1519) lid organizer. For those two reasons, I'm going to look into getting one of the 1510's for airline travel.
Thanks for the tip, Ari!

Ari
18-Jun-2012, 08:40
Chris,
You're welcome; it was Noah A who suggested the case to me, as we both use a TK45 and have nearly the same lenses.
Here's how I configured it, using home-made dividers with the Pelican interior lining:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2woykoj.jpg

On top of the camera go the long bellows and darkcloth.

cdholden
18-Jun-2012, 08:47
Mine is just for lenses, no camera.
(no photos because I don't have it with me)

Inayat Noor
18-Jun-2012, 08:58
Ari, Thank you for the information. Did you purchase the case with the inserts?

Jim

Ari
18-Jun-2012, 09:05
Jim,
Yes, I bought the case with dividers; it's more expensive than with the foam, but I heard that the foam disintegrates after a while, and makes a mess.
The supplied dividers were useless for my configuration, but You do need the padded inside lining that comes with the dividers.
My wife is handy with a sewing machine, so we spent an hour sewing some black fabric and velcro to corrugated vinyl panels.
The lid organizer is nice, if only to keep the small stuff from getting misplaced.

C4D
18-Jun-2012, 10:16
another vote for the Pelican 1510... awesome case when you add the dividers and lid compartment. I just did a job down in Houston and was able to fit a 6x17 camera, two large format lenses, D800E, 24mm shift lens, and three Zeiss prime lenses with all my accessories and it made it very easy to take all that gear during air travel.

Ari
18-Jun-2012, 12:01
another vote for the Pelican 1510... awesome case when you add the dividers and lid compartment. I just did a job down in Houston and was able to fit a 6x17 camera, two large format lenses, D800E, 24mm shift lens, and three Zeiss prime lenses with all my accessories and it made it very easy to take all that gear during air travel.

Mark,
I would be taking the 1510 with me to Europe right now, but I was worried about the weight of a fully-loaded case going as carry-on.
Sometimes they weigh the carry-on, other times they don't.
I guess yours wasn't weighed by airline staff.

C4D
18-Jun-2012, 13:04
That's the only concern you might have with the 1510 is if the airline weighs your carry-on. Mine was not weighed by the airline or never has been in the past but you might want to give your airline a call to see if they weigh carry-ons on flights to europe.

Ari
18-Jun-2012, 13:08
I would call, but I leave tomorrow, and I bought a new Lowepro Flipside 400 for the trip.