PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to expensive Jobo tanks on a roller base

photobymike
17-Jun-2012, 17:17
I have finally found a way to use Patterson tanks on my Beseler Roller base. I have used a roller base for years with Jobo tanks to do all of my film processing. But Jobo tanks have recently become more valuable than gold. I have always used a 2500 series tank for 4x5 and smaller film. I recently got a Patterson tank, and i liked it. But the diameter was to small to make it work on my roller base. oh crap..... Well i got to thinking about using Patterson tanks now for everything. How do i make it work? Sewer pipe collar... 4inch pipe by 12 inches long, with a slot cut the length. Any size Patterson tank friction fits into this collar, and makes the diameter large enough to work on my roller base. Goodbye Jobo.... LOL LOL.

http://youtu.be/oGwTJzTa79M

David Aimone
17-Jun-2012, 18:39
nice, been thinking about something similar...

Light Guru
17-Jun-2012, 18:46
I wonder how well a Mod Photographic holder would work with this. Bing able to develop 6 sheets would be a mice plus to the rotary base.

photobymike
17-Jun-2012, 20:09
I wonder how well a Mod Photographic holder would work with this. Bing able to develop 6 sheets would be a mice plus to the rotary base.

I have a MOD54 on its way and will update

Light Guru
17-Jun-2012, 21:40

Cool thanks!

Kodachrome25
17-Jun-2012, 21:45

Your welcome...:-)

Light Guru
7-Jul-2012, 08:34
This person has used 2 Mod 45s with a Paterson 8 reel tank on a uniroller base. At first he had streaks from the mod holder but after increasing the amount of chemistry the issue went away.

http://photo.net/black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/00ZVB8

photobymike
7-Jul-2012, 10:12
Hey thanks Light Guru ... Morgan the inventor and now a member of this forum offer to replace my older defective MOD54 with a newer MK23 model.... I have sold all my jobo stuff because my tests were very very successful... i use my collar and half the chemistry than immersion requirements. My only challenge now is to make a collar that is not split but tapered inside to fit the Patterson tank. Cant wait to get the updated MK23 model and test....

Light Guru
7-Jul-2012, 18:38
Morgan the inventor and now a member of this forum offer to replace my older defective MOD54 with a newer MK23 model

I saw that there was a change but didn't see anything about why the change or what the change will do. I got mine about a year ago.

What was defective with yours.

photobymike
7-Jul-2012, 21:11
came un glued fell apart..... with film in the tank..... morgan is a new member and relayed this to him and he offered to send me an upgraded mod54.... much appreciated since i sold all my jobo stuff..... the jobo stuff was like gold only worth more per ounce....i just want reliable and the Patterson tanks are really good in several ways
1- they load easier
2- cheaper oh gosh 30 bucks new....
3- pour really good
4 - with my collar they use half the chemistry
5 -when caped they are water tight...

i am going to be working on a better collar that does not clunk clunk when processing. just need a sander for my drill and taper the inside to match the tank...

get the word out there is a cheaper way than jobo for 4x5 or in england 5x4 film.
Maybe Morgan would like to look at my collar idea and help me develop and market... it really does open up a whole new way to use Patterson tanks....

Light Guru
8-Jul-2012, 20:49
Where are you finding them for $30 the mod54 website lists them at £49.50 thats like $76. When I bought mine a year ago it was £35.25

photobymike
9-Jul-2012, 06:57
Where are you finding them for $30 the mod54 website lists them at £49.50 thats like $76. When I bought mine a year ago it was £35.25

The tank is 30 from BH photo... the MOD54 is 3 or 4 times the price of the tank.....

Light Guru
9-Jul-2012, 07:53
The tank is 30 from BH photo... the MOD54 is 3 or 4 times the price of the tank.....

ah i thought you were referring to the mod54.

i like the mod holder but i may just end up using the unidrum that came with my roller base

Kodachrome25
9-Jul-2012, 09:36
Darn Mike, I am sorry that happened, I think this is why he revamped the insert, there were structural issues on some. I think the one I sold you was my spare, I bought two for workshop environments. I have actually sold them both now since I run almost 100% Jobo on a CPP2, having someone give you a perfectly working processor for free takes a bit of the sting out of how spendy the drums can be.

But I still want a Mod54 for travel and workshops so I will likely get a couple of the new ones from Morgan soon, I think they are a great option for souping 4x5.

photobymike
9-Jul-2012, 09:53
Morgan is now a member of the LF group ... I explained to him in another thread that i had to glue it together. He said he would send me a NEW MK23. Cant wait ... I am also working on tapering the inside of my "collar" idea so it fits the tanks better. Still in the testing mode, but i sold all of my jobo stuff because of promising tests. I am also working on a "collar" that is a water jacket for Paterson tanks... Combination chemical tempering tray with a "Collar Water Jacket" for Paterson .... i may look into patenting this idea. The jobo stuff is just way out of being cost effective for me or anybody. Jobo stuff cost went artificially high in value. There may be a better way....

Kodachrome25
10-Jul-2012, 10:46
The jobo stuff is just way out of being cost effective for me or anybody. Jobo stuff cost went artificially high in value.

I understand your enthusiasm, but are you sure about the "Anybody" part....?...

There are varying economies of scale here and given what I can get done with my Jobo, in hindsight, I would have paid double for the two x 2553 drums w/ 5 reels each and one 3010 drum I got for a great deal....read, I got a Jobo CPP2 late model for *free* back in 2008, all I had to do is spend $450 total on those three drums in new condition, a pretty wise investment to ensure quality processing for the $15,000+ worth of film I have in the freezer..:-)

But for souping 4x5 on the road, the Mod+Paterson system can not be beat...

photobymike
10-Jul-2012, 12:19
yea i can see your point .. i got a lot of use out of my jobo stuff ..."quality is always a better choice when you can afford it"