PDA

View Full Version : Honeywell Pentax 3/21 degree exposure meter.....HELP!!!

Bill, 70's military B&W
16-Jun-2012, 16:15
I just acquired a 3/21 Honeywell Pentax light meter. It requires 2 batteries, 1 is available, and 1 I can't find info on. Question's are, is this light meter worth messing with? If so then how to deal with the battery issues? Will it work for the Zone System? Any opinions? Thanks, Bill

TheDeardorffGuy
16-Jun-2012, 16:49
Google is a wonderful thing. i typed "obsolete batteries" I got:

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_best_prices.htm

A saw it was a place I bought a couple of 510v batteries a few years ago. Check them out

Bill, 70's military B&W
17-Jun-2012, 17:38
Thanks, I'm working on it. Still have the question, is this a good meter? After this one they all went to 1 degree spot.
I agree about Google, saves me on a regular basis.

Bill, 70's military B&W
19-Jun-2012, 18:51
Is this meter worth using?
Bill

Marc B.
19-Jun-2012, 19:38
Is this meter worth using?
Sourcing modern batteries for this meter is the problem.
The 1.3v Mercury, button cell batteries are no longer made.
A 1.3v Zink Air battery (or 1.3v work-around), will need to be sourced for this application.

Finding a 'fresh' example of the 22.5v, '412' battery may also prove problematic.
A quick search of pricing for two usable batteries, w/shipping, could easily exceed $30 USD.

This expensive unknown, chance-of-a-meter, would not be 'worth using'...to me.
You will have to answer for yourself whether this meter is 'worth using'...to you!
There are so many other meters available today, I would relegate this meter to the odd-orphan display shelf.

An on-line pamphlet for the meter from Butkus' Manual Site:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/honeywell_pentax_3-21_meter.pdf

Bill, 70's military B&W
19-Jun-2012, 19:53
Yes but this meter was essentially free. It is the parent of the widely (but very old) 1 degree Pentax Spot that everyone loves. Difference is it is a 3 degree spot. Is that a big deal? You are right that it is an unknown, does it work or not, batteries at $30 may still be a lot cheaper than buying a 1 degree spot. It looks cosmetically in good condition. It does not have lens caps. This may drain the batteries even faster.

Brian Ellis
20-Jun-2012, 06:26
Three degrees may or may not be a big deal, depending on what you're doing. If you're photographing the side of a red barn from a distance with the barn side all in the same light it probably isn't a big deal. If you're making a closeup photograph of a flower with petals in bright sunlight and the rest of the flower in the shade it probably is a big deal.

It seems to me that you're asking questions here that only you can answer - i.e. is it worth the time, trouble, and possible expense of trying to use this meter or should you just forget it and buy a newer meter.

BrianShaw
20-Jun-2012, 06:34
Yes but this meter was essentially free.

batteries at $30 may still be a lot cheaper than buying a 1 degree spot.

The battery solutions exist. Everready 412's are still available but cost $15 to $20 each (plus shipping since I doubt you'll find them at a local store). The 1.3 can be replaced by air-zinc battery or a converter, like the Gossen.

I suppose the only concern I would have is battery life but that could be mitigated by having spares at all times. If it is free and it measure light accurately it could be a very cool "old school" tool to use. I, personally, could live with 3 deg vs 1 deg. But I lived for years with 7 deg and got by just fine. Then I dropped $500 on a Sekonic L-558 and got all of my metering needs in one package... and the least used is the spotmeter. Only you know your need for prissy preciseness.

RichardRitter
20-Jun-2012, 16:04
Last time this meter was made was around 1980. The latter model was made to take 3 of the same type of batteries and the photo cell was change to silicone. The photo cell in the Honeywell as it ages reads more in the red range.

Bill, 70's military B&W
24-Jun-2012, 14:58
Thanks everyone,
For now I'll just put it on the shelf.
It came with 2 other light meters, I'll concentrate on them.