PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 4x5 and 5x7 extension rack lengths and cross compatability?

Michael_qrt
12-Jun-2012, 19:43
Hi all, I now have both a Chamonix 045n-2 and a 057n-horizontal. Great cameras. Anyway I was looking at the extension racks for these and was wondering if anyone knows the actual length of extra extension the 4x5 and 5x7 extension racks provide? I couldn't find the specs for the 4x5 one but the specs of the 5x7 horizontal give standard/extended max extension as 430mm/600mm implying the extension rack is 170mm.

Also, looking at the front standard mounts for both of the cameras it looks as though the 4x5 and 5x7 extension racks may be cross compatable. OK, I know the front standard mounting area is wider on the 5x7 camera but the screw holes for the front standard seem to be the same distance from the front, so it would seem that the 5x7 camera would accept the narrower 4x5 extension rack. It also looks as though the wider 5x7 extension rack may not foul anything on the 4x5 camera. So, I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has used (or tried to use) the 4x5 extension rack on the 5x7 camera or vice versa.

Cheers
Michael

Old-N-Feeble
12-Jun-2012, 20:01
The 4x5 model nets you an additional 60mm of extension and the standard bellows does just fine with it. I don't know about the 5x7 model. As long as the narrower extension fits snugly to the front of the 5x7 I'd imagine it should work fine. If the 5x7 version really is 170mm long then I'd probably buy both pieces if I kept both cameras.

Chamonix makes a 4x5 reducing back for their 5x7. I'd consider getting it and selling the 4x5 to save some $$$.;)

Michael_qrt
13-Jun-2012, 16:14
Thanks ONF, so the 4x5 extension is fairly short then. I must admit that I thought it would be around 100mm based on watching the Michael E Gordon video about the camera.

As for the 4x5 reducing back, I'd think about it but I wonder if the reducing back for the 5x7 horizontal camera can be rotated for verticals. I'll live with tilting the camera on its side for verticals with 5x7, but only for the larger negative. I suppose I should be asking Chamonix these questions for a definitive answer.

Old-N-Feeble
13-Jun-2012, 17:12
Umm... I measured improperly. It's 160mm long, not 60mm. So that's 555mm total extension with just the rail extension. That's more than enough to use a 450mm lens for most situations. I guess I can stop looking for a top-hat lens board. I've had this extension rail on the camera and the bellows does stretch that far... though I wouldn't want to apply much Scheimpflug movements.

I think the Chamonix camera company owner is an active member of this forum but I can't remember his moniker. Maybe someone will chime in who knows it so you can PM him directly.

vinny
13-Jun-2012, 17:55
Use the contact button on their website. Goes straight to Hugo, who will get you the specs, not guesses.

Old-N-Feeble
13-Jun-2012, 18:08
I did measure... I just messed up initially.:o

Michael_qrt
13-Jun-2012, 19:48
Thanks guys, 160mm sounds more like it, that gives a lot of extension on a 4x5 field camera. I emailed Hugo with my question about the reducing back.

Michael_qrt
14-Jun-2012, 16:08
Thanks for the input guys, I got a response from Hugo about the 5x7 horizontal to 4x5 reducing back and he said it can be used for both horizontal and vertical shots, so that's good. Now I'll have to think about whether I get the reducing back and sell the 045n-2 or just keep both cameras (or get the back and keep both cameras...)

vinny
14-Jun-2012, 16:43
if you use short lenses, make sure the 5x7 can handle them before you proceed.

Michael_qrt
15-Jun-2012, 04:45
if you use short lenses, make sure the 5x7 can handle them before you proceed.

Very true, the specs say 65mm minimum bellows extension but my suspicion is that it'll go a bit shorter. Then again the extension back may add some extension. I'll check the minimum extension over the weekend.