PDA

View Full Version : Wierd banding on 8x10 neg in Epson V750

Richard M. Coda
12-Jun-2012, 12:34
I had to scan an 8x10 color neg today for a client. I'm getting this wierd banding on the edges of the long sides. It was also on the top but fell outside the crop. See below.

After seeing this I investigated. Updated the Epson Scan SW. No change. Put two strips of black paper over the clear film rebate... no change. This has never happened before. I see that others online have had similar problems. Any fix? Is the scanner bad? It's only a few years old and doesn't get all that much use.

http://www.pctype.com/rcphoto/test/schnitzer-print001.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Rich

karl french
12-Jun-2012, 12:37
I get that sometimes with my 4990 as well. Then of course there is the problem I'm having with a band caused by a reflection from the silver data cord internal to the scanner...

Sevo
12-Jun-2012, 12:45
99 out of 100 times stuff like that is due to dirt or some other object (adhesive tape, a bit of protruding film or the like) on the scanner calibration area (the strip ahead of the scan area proper).

Richard M. Coda
12-Jun-2012, 13:14
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! I didn't know there was such an area.

Thanks Sevo. I always thought of my self as a 1-percenter... I guess I was really a 99-percenter :^(

Sevo
12-Jun-2012, 14:53
The issue is not unknown to Epson - but as far as I remember, it is not described in the regular manual, as the film holders are supposed to prevent obstructing the calibration area. They have a document on oversize sheet film/X-ray scanning that contains an explanation: http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/prv75p/prv75pps.pdf

Tobias Key
12-Jun-2012, 14:58
I've used a Epson 4990 and a an HP G4050 both have done this if there is dirt in the calibration area. The real pain is if the dust is inside the scanner, I've taken flatbed scanners apart more times than I care to mention.

Cesar Barreto
12-Jun-2012, 16:28
And I would say that Microtek i900 is (or was) much worst than that.

Uri A
23-Jun-2012, 04:37
Far out!! Thank you for this info. I've been scratching my head over this for some time.
Much appreciated!

jp
23-Jun-2012, 14:07
I've seen weird patterns on the edges if the film curls a little (lifts up on the edges). The resulting odd reflections show up dark since it's inverted as a negative.