PDA

View Full Version : RECOMMENDATION NEEDED "tripod for medium format camera "

yuexiachou29
11-Jun-2012, 10:12
i have a hasselbald 500 cm with 80mm lens.
Any recommendations in terms of
TRIPOD HEAD & LEG LENGTH & WEIGHT

thank you!!!

Ari
11-Jun-2012, 10:21
Have a look at Triopo tripods; inexpensive and decently built.

E. von Hoegh
11-Jun-2012, 10:46
Tiltall.

David Brunell
11-Jun-2012, 11:39
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?91213-FS-Reis-H-100-Tripod-Leg-Set&highlight=ries

I have purchased from this seller and these are the very best tripods around.

Jim Jones
11-Jun-2012, 12:23
Several other tripods gather dust while one old Tiltall in the car and another in the camera room get 99% of the use.

Leigh
11-Jun-2012, 15:39
Another vote for the Tiltall.
The Hasselblad 500-series cameras are small and light, unless you're using the 350mm or 500mm lenses.

I use a heavier Majestic tripod for my Hasselblad.
I do have both of those longer lenses for the Hasselblad, and I also use the Majestic for the larger cameras.

- Leigh

yuexiachou29
12-Jun-2012, 10:16
Any further info?

yuexiachou29
12-Jun-2012, 10:19

thank you!!!

I will be using it for my DSLR as well. I was thinking to buy it from Manfrotto in order to get a very reliable one.
I am not saying other brands are not reliable.

johnsey
21-Jun-2012, 15:03

thank you!!!

Well, the 500cm and 80mm lens is rather compact medium format kit in and of itself. You could easily use and solid set of legs (Manfrotto 3021 for example has been standard.) I am of the school of thought that if you spend more upfront you save yourself the trouble of trading up later. Do you plan to have bigger cameras and or shoot long lenses (any format) at some point? Do you want to be able to hike the tripod around easy? How much do you want to spend?

If your looking cheaper set of legs: spend about 150 on a solid aluminum set of legs like the 3021 i mentioned.

If you can spend more I would recommend any quality carbon-fiber set: While you can easily spend between 500 and 1000 on a Gitzo set I recommend the INDURO CT214... Its realy portable and can handle more weight for when you move up to larger cameras or longer lenses for your DSLR. I decided on them as a travel alternative to my Gitzo 410 legs which are well ..big and heavy; and I couldn't be happier. I shoot medium format as well, a nice bulky Pentax 67 setup.
*It has a load capacity of 26lbs (more than you will ever need)
*Collapses to 19" (i found great for fitting in my luggage on flights and strapping to your camera bag).
I snagged mine for under 300 on sale years back but they run close to $400 now days.

jk0592
21-Jun-2012, 15:46
Make sure that whatever tripod you chose be compatible with the dedicated Hasselblad quick tripod coupler which stays on the tripod head. This will save you set up time, and will leave your 'blad completely free from extra quick release plates...

Leigh
21-Jun-2012, 16:01
Make sure that whatever tripod you chose be compatible with the dedicated Hasselblad quick tripod coupler which stays on the tripod head. This will save you set up time, and will leave your 'blad completely free from extra quick release plates...
Yep. I use those all the time with my Hasselblad. Quite easy to use and very secure.

Be aware that there are several different types of these. Some have a button that projects down,
below the bottom of the plate, and thus must over-hang the edge of the tripod platform.

- Leigh

yuexiachou29
22-Jun-2012, 11:12
thank you for all the comments. I've bought a Manfrotto 055xprob from Craigslist for a very cheap prize.
I will take your suggestions in mind for future use.

BrianShaw
22-Jun-2012, 12:51

That's what I do: Manfrotto 3001 with 486 ball head and Hasselblad QR.

David R Munson
22-Jun-2012, 20:38
OP: you may be interested in this replacement foot for Hasselblad cameras (http://clearsightusa.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=52), that converts it to Arca-swiss compatible. One of these days, I'm going to get my hands on a 'Blad, and when I do that's the first tweak it's going to get.

Kuzano
22-Jun-2012, 21:19
I think it may be a little short sighted to think that one should look for a "medium format" capable tripod that would be any less tripod than a good tripod for a basic 4X5 kit. A hasselblad is not a truly light camera and with a few of the lenses available would weigh in as heavy as any wood field camera, or even a light duty monorail.Why try to make the distinction that a MF tripod is in any way different than an entry level LF kit camera?

I say this because so often a MF camera becomes an gateway camera to Large Format. Why go through this exercise again and spend another fairly significant amount for another tripod because you wanted to save a pound or two on the tripod you buy now.

In that sense, you are asking the right people, but MF or LF should not be distinquished from one another.

Steve Barber
22-Jun-2012, 22:28
What Kuzano said. The Hasselblad 500CM with its 80mm lens is about the most tripod friendly camera you can have. When using a cable release, just about any tripod will hold it adequately. Later, when you have a Schneider zoom or 500mm lens and a Mutar on it, you will want something a lot more stable. A full frame DSLR and the longer zooms for it will be more challenging for your tripod than the Hasselblad and its more common primes.

If I had to make do with one tripod for everything, it would be a Feisol CT-3371 and its optional center column, which can be used or not used, as required.

Brian Ellis
23-Jun-2012, 06:01
What does this have to do with large format photography?

BrianShaw
23-Jun-2012, 07:13
I totally understand what Kuzano and Steve Barber are saying. I only had one tripod for years. As time went on, though, I added a lightweight tripod for MF and 35mm use. I travel farther with these cameras than I do with LF and a heavier tripod was becoming too heavy to schlepp. I now have two tripods.

Steve Barber
23-Jun-2012, 07:24
What does this have to do with large format photography?

I thought what Kuzano said was self-explanatory. I only wanted to second what he said and to point out that getting a tripod that would be usable for most 4x5 camera usage would not be that much more, if any, than what would be required for the more demanding smaller format camera configurations.

Brian Ellis
23-Jun-2012, 20:27
Steve - My question was directed at the OP and the thread topic, not at you. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. It seems to be a medium format question, not a large format question, and I would have thought it should have gone in the Lounge like other non-LF threads do.

Alan Gales
23-Jun-2012, 21:27
I agree, this should be in the lounge.

Two23
1-Jul-2012, 17:58
I've been using a Gitzo 1325 carbon fiber for at least the past 8 years. It has an AcraTech ballhead. This combo is perfect, and has withstood near daily use here in the Dakotas along with Canada and Iceland. I shoot DSLR with 500mm f4 lens, Bronica and Bessa medium format, and my Chamonix 045n on it (and previously a Cambo 45nx monorail.) I have no doubt this tripod & head will outlast me. Buy a good one once and you'll be set for life. I only buy tripod heads that accept Arca Swiss style quick release. The Manfrotto QR are horrid (personal experience.) Buy an L-plate for you DSLR. You won't believe how handy those are.

Kent in SD

Bill_1856
1-Jul-2012, 20:54
Why would you want to use a tripod for a little hand-holdable camera?

Leigh
1-Jul-2012, 21:22
For maximum image quality... The same reason you use a tripod for any camera.

- Leigh

Steve Barber
3-Jul-2012, 15:44

Maybe, because you have one of these?